I can't believe you paid that much for a .22! - Page 3 - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 05-07-2017, 08:25 AM
MrGrytt
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AL View Post
No one has even touched on the subject of bolt action benchrest rifles, where a single shot .22lr rifle you don't even hold can cost anywhere from $1500 to over $3000. I used to be involved in that sport and one of my fellow shooters paid $600 just to have someone put a custom paint job on the stock. So paying $350 for a .22 rifle just doesn't seem that bad.
I had "kinda" wanted a Ruger Mark pistol from the time I became aware of them, and that was a long long long time ago. I just never got one, mainly because I stayed away from semi-auto stuff in both rifles and handguns. (except for my Colt Combat Commander Series 70) Mostly all bolt action and single action. I wasn't concerned about the disassembly/assembly. At one point in time I was seriously considering becoming a gunsmith and have always done all the work on my firearms myself.
Finally about a year ago I broke down and bought a Mark III. As soon as I had totally gone through the gun and modified all the things I didn't like and had it set up exactly like I wanted it, "BINGO", here comes the Mark IV. I do wish I had waited one more year but with all the work that has gone into my Mark III I would never get rid of it in favor of a Mark IV. At present the only thing I don't like about my Mark III is the stupid 'loaded chamber indicator'. What a pitiful idea that was.
As far as cost is concerned, if you want something truly accurate and dependable sometimes a little expense is involved, both in purchase price and also the time and effort put into getting the most out of it. It all depends on what a person wants. When going to the range working on loads for my varmint rifle (heavy barreled Remington 700 in .22-250) I would always end the day by shooting the four staples out of the corners of the target and having it fall to the ground. Still do that today with the .22s, but at 50 yards rather than 100 like with the center fire. I also like to put a few spots of honey on the target and hope for a fly or two to land on the target. Hunting flies is not all that much fun with a gun that won't shoot. If you haven't done any of that stuff, try it, you'll like it. To not have guns capable of doing that would bother me.
Just an old guy rambling and I hope I didn't bore anyone too badly. I was probably a life member of the NRA before most of you were born so what I'm saying goes back a long way. No doubt there are some here older than I am but that herd is thinning out rapidly.
Old 05-07-2017, 08:33 AM
DonD
US Navy Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Although I could be wrong, it is my thought that .22LRs do not have the same strength of materials that something like a .357/.44/454 or 500 Mag revolver, thus lower material costs.

Having said that, I don't think the price for some of the new, easy takedown Ruger Mks is out of line. They're bargain basement guns when you consider how many people shell out $2500-5000 for a 1911. For the really high end 1911s I think you're paying a great deal for the name and many won't shoot a lot better than than gunshop grade 1911s running more like $1000. Don
Old 05-07-2017, 08:49 AM
22-Rimfire
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonD View Post
Although I could be wrong, it is my thought that .22LRs do not have the same strength of materials that something like a .357/.44/454 or 500 Mag revolver, thus lower material costs.
That is probably true especially with the magnum+ revolvers.

Old 05-07-2017, 09:09 AM
jon p
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
so well stated!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electraclyde View Post
If I need to explain, you won't understand.
+1
Old 05-07-2017, 09:15 AM
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! Appleseed Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (11)
I have .22s that I have paid anywhere from around a couple hundred new to nearly $1000 used. Have several used .22s that I paid in the $100-$200 range. Got an old Remington Model 12 nearly 100 years old that cost me nothing as it was my Grandfather's and to me is priceless. Got one .22 magnum used for $10 from a guy that needed to sell it to settle an estate and didn't know how to unload it. You hear the same question for that one, " you paid how much for it?"

Had a friend that bought an upscale wood 10/22 for his son's first rifle. My friend had been out of werk for a few years and has some financial challenges catching back up. He wanted something nicer looking than a cheap stocked basic .22 as a kind of father to son heirloom first gun gift to his son. He couldn't afford a nice CZ or something similar as he wanted to scope it also. He asked me what I thought about several cheap scopes he was looking at. I suggested something better than what he has been looking at and suggested maybe a nicer Weaver or Leupold. Showed him one of my rifles with a Weaver RV-9 on it and kind of got that same question "you paid how much for a scope for a .22? He ended up spending the money for the Weaver and some Burris signature Zee rings. Reflecting back, he is glad he did. Because of his finances, money spent was a big concern as it may be for many of us at different times in our lives.

Personally I have no desire spending thousands on a bench rest .22 as that is not my thing. Sometimes I question spending $600 or $700 or more for a nice Mountie or other classic .22. I'm kind of old school in a number of ways. I prefer blued steel and walnut over tupperware. I prefer field type sporters generally or battle rifles that are carried afield rather than shot from a perch. Plinking over one hole paper punching. I do like my firearms to be accurate and reliable. How much accuracy and for what purpose is open to interpretation depending on the user and the purpose. Battle rifle accuracy, deer rifle at 60 yard woods distances, head shots on squirrels, bench rest, bullseye, or plates. Generally you get what you pay for in accuarcy, reliability, fit and finish. Sometimes that is $200 and sometimes that may be $2000 or more. So yes, I paid that much for a .22.
Old 05-07-2017, 09:16 AM
jon p

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
Wink my favorite .22s are............

the ones I wanted as a teen in the early 1960s, and just could not afford! my part time service station job paid 50 cents an hour so that went mainly for gas, drive in admission and burgers!! I have been able to find some of these treasures now that I am in my 70s, a jc Higgins mdl 30, a 572 Remington, a 29B savage pump, colt challenger , etc. the list does go on. it is such a feeling when you find and buy one of these treasures, finally. I bet I am not alone either.
Old 05-07-2017, 09:19 AM
VaFish

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
People making comments about $500-$600 .22's would have a heart attack if they saw what people pay for precision target air rifles.

I coach junior rifle shooting, it's very easy to spend $3,000-$4,000 on a .177 caliber pellet rifle.

"Yeah I just spent $3,500 on a BB gun for my kid" is a pretty common phrase around me.
Old 05-07-2017, 09:28 AM
jon p

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
Talking BUT

Quote:
Originally Posted by SGW Gunsmith View Post
I am convinced that some SHIRT at Ruger follows these forums. Looking back, there has been a multitude of complaints posted about how difficult the Ruger Mark III is to reassemble after a complete disassembly, and even a field "take down".
Seems the extra price for "convenience" has captured the audience Ruger was after. Easy take down so it's not such a mind boggling endeavor must make for better sales. Good grief.................we even have cars these days that PARK themselves and stop before the driver rear ends a dump truck while "texting".

If anyone feels the desperate need to trade in a Ruger Mark II GREAT EIGHT NIB toward a Ruger Mark IV, call or PM me immediately.
something has captured the ruger buying public, including ME. Ruger didn't make me want one, target stainless MKIV, I WANTED ONE because of the nice changes included . I have owned MANY RUGER marks in the last 50 + years, and the MKIV has really clicked for me. all the needed improvements in the series have been wrapped up into one fine pistol, Ruger DID DO their homework and R&D to supply what people wanted. I can appreciate the nice MKIIIs, etc, there is really NOTHING WRONG with them, but for many people ,it appears ,the MKIV rings the bell. if you love MKIIIs, keep on loving them, I love my MKIV. variety IS THE SPICE OF LIFE. this is like the old ford vs chey vs dodge, isn't it. which one is best FOR ME is ALL that matters.
Old 05-07-2017, 09:49 AM
AhSpray
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Old 05-07-2017, 09:51 AM
SillyMike
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join! Appleseed Member Appleseed Rifleman

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
The way I "calculate" it, it's about cost per bang.

Using this logic, a $2,000 rimfire that gets shot 20x a year is "cheaper" to own than a $1,000 centerfire that only comes out twice a year.

Over a 10 year period, the rimfire will have cost me $10 per outing.
That centerfire, will cost me $50...

Old 05-07-2017, 10:02 AM
higgs_field
GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thumbs up

Last edited by Sophia; 05-07-2017 at 10:59 AM. Reason: we don't allow that kind of language here, even if abbreviated or disguised with special characters.
Old 05-07-2017, 10:31 AM
rt11002003

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Maybe the Ruger Mk IVs have better quality control to justify the price increase.

I've been impressed with their customer service, but not with the quality of Mk pistols as delivered. My Mk iii Competition Target still does not have the rear sight mounted after two years. It fell off the first time I shot the gun. Since I was using a red dot sight, I wasn't too concerned. Also, the trigger was so bad, I quit shooting it after approx. 10 rounds. Then I put a Volquartsen Accurizing kit in it and decided not to return the pistol to Ruger CS about the rear sight because I knew they'd replace my Volquartsen parts with standard parts; and, I'd have to re-install them.

I have four Ruger Mk pistols, two S&W Model 41s, two S&W Model 422s, one Hammerli Xesse Sport, a builtup Ruger 10-22 and an Anschutz .22lr rifle I bought more than 40 years ago. They're all accurate with the Anschutz and the Hammerli leading the pack. But, the Mk ii and Mk iii Rugers are more exprensive than a new Mk iv because of aftermarket parts.

I hear the same kind of remarks, "you spent that much for a 22?" Gave up responding to comments.
Old 05-07-2017, 11:04 AM
Rocinante
US Navy Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Original price.............................$39.95.

Old 05-07-2017, 11:39 AM
tenbanshee

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
In my case, people say thing like "you paid how much?" and then on top of that they have a problem with me not having even shot it. Some of mine I just buy because I like them. My friends are after me to bring them out and shoot them. I enjoy cleaning them and looking at all of the work that went into making them.
Old 05-07-2017, 11:52 AM
cobalt327

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I did $110.00 in changes to my Mark III to make it the way I wanted it. It would take $75.00 in changes to a Mark IV if I bought one, assuming the trigger needed the same help. These are at the original prices from 4 years ago- the costs may well have increases since then.

What this means to me is I'll be holding off on buying a Mark IV until the prices become more reasonable. And realizing that may never occur, I'm quite satisfied with my Mark III after doing what I did to it, which included a small amount of work to make the safety as slick as owl dookie. Reassembly will never be as no-brainer as a IV, but know what? It has never been an issue after doing it the first time.

That said, I DO like the Mark IV, mainly because of the frames. And the easy reassembly is a plus, regardless of whether one has mastered the earlier Mark reassembly ritual. So I do understand its appeal. And I'm glad it exists, if for no other reason that it'll serve to introduce even more folks to the sport.