I can't believe you paid that much for a .22! - Page 2 - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 05-06-2017, 03:54 PM
Rock N TN

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hizer4648 View Post
I shoot budget 22 cal rifles such as Marlin xt 22tr, Marlin M60,Ruger 1022, Henry, GSG 522SD. To me it's about the fun I have shooting them, nothing else. It lowers my stress. Maybe later I might want a higher end 22 rifle, but for now these are doing what I expect from them. Plinking and sometimes varmint control.

I understand this. I'm perfectly happy with something I can take to the range, plinking in the fields or slogging through the swamps. And I understand spending big $$$$, because I am that way when it comes to buying new golf clubs.

Gordon

Shhhh, I'm not here.
Old 05-06-2017, 04:39 PM
rosscoe
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (35)
Question to Myself? Why did "I" pay that much for a 22?
Old 05-06-2017, 06:54 PM
Loke
US Army Veteran Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Is a MKIV worth a $100 more than a MKIII? In my opinion, any and every day. More than a MKII, probably not. I can't count the number of times I've been recruited to reassemble a basket case MKIII that gets brought into the store where I work. My MKII I can reassemble blindfolded. If Ruger could have stayed away from the magazine disconnect it would be a much more desirable gun.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-06-2017, 07:05 PM
GreggK

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rosscoe View Post
Question to Myself? Why did "I" pay that much for a 22?
And why did I do it so many times, these things are like rabbits.
Old 05-06-2017, 07:51 PM
Air-cooled

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JStacy View Post
I agree on quality and cost associated with quality but I cannot see the MK IV worth 100.00 across the board more than a MK III.
I have a MK III and a MK IV, and the IV is well worth $100 more. Not just the take-down ease, but the ergonomic safety and the spring-loaded mag release are huge. I'm old fashioned too, but the MK III is not up to par with the IV.
Old 05-06-2017, 08:59 PM
xdm9mm

TPC Rating: 
100% (8)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Air-cooled View Post
I have a MK III and a MK IV, and the IV is well worth $100 more. Not just the take-down ease, but the ergonomic safety and the spring-loaded mag release are huge. I'm old fashioned too, but the MK III is not up to par with the IV.
Add to that the MKIII's additional cost of changing the LCI filler, extended mag release, extended bolt stop lever, and bushing to eliminate the pesky mag disconnect that interfered with disassembly and reassembly.... the MKIV will be cheaper... and Oh I forgot to mention the sore thumb you get with the safety lever on the MKIII ....

I don't see anyone complaining about the above mentioned with the MKIV...

But yes, if I still owned a MKIII, I wouldn't have exchanged it with a MKIV

=
edit:
looks like we are a little deviating to a 3 vs 4.... now back to topic.
Old 05-07-2017, 03:15 AM
pistol champ

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
If you ask my wife all my guns cost about $350.00.
New gun shows up and the normal question from wife. "Thats a nice gun what did it cost?" My answer "about $350.00 maybe a little more" She usually comes back with how do you like my new diamond earrings? What a coincidence they were also about $350.00 or maybe a little more. Now we have two people in a happy balanced marriage.
Old 05-07-2017, 05:33 AM
Leadbelly
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Having worked at gun stores and gun shows for over 40+ years, I have heard the
"WHY SO MUCH ?" question thousands of times. What I usually did was, let them dry fire a less expensive gun, then a top quality one. Many times THAT answered their question. ..... BUT.... Some could not tell the difference. Some just thought I was trying to RIP THEM OFF, but if they were really serious about the difference, I would help them understand the differences. I have owned most all of the quality 22 pistols and my favorite is Volquartsen, but my budget does not allow them any more.
My RIO Ruger MK III is my current best pistol, But I love my SS target MK IV. As soon as I sell one of my Glock pistols, I am sending my MK IV to Volquartsen to have the action work and a new barrel added. ~~~ Now some may ask WHY spend another 500 on a pistol that already cost me 600. Because I love the MK IV and I can tell the difference. just my 2 cents
Old 05-07-2017, 06:03 AM
MadDawg

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by pistol champ View Post
If you ask my wife all my guns cost about $350.00.
New gun shows up and the normal question from wife. "Thats a nice gun what did it cost?" My answer "about $350.00 maybe a little more" She usually comes back with how do you like my new diamond earrings? What a coincidence they were also about $350.00 or maybe a little more. Now we have two people in a happy balanced marriage.
The Three Prices:
For anything that is not an absolute necessity, and for some things that are, there seems to be three prices that are involved.

1) The price that you tell your wife...
2) The price that you tell your friends...
3) The price that you actually paid.
Old 05-07-2017, 06:11 AM
Waldo Pepper
US Navy Disabled American Veteran Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Air-cooled View Post
Take a look at the Smith & Wesson Model 48 (22 mag). Almost $1000
They are bring about 4 times their original price...but my 1958 Standard was a whopping $45 out the door.

My old Standard would/will just reassemble itself it was so easy, but I broke many a thumb nail getting the lever to come out and was only thing I didn't like about the pistol.
Old 05-07-2017, 06:54 AM
Jlbroker

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Talking

This thread made me smile
I just had a friend with me when I traded an M1A (actually an M14 semi of course) for a Marlin 97
As we drove away he looked at me and said " I can't believe you just traded an M14 for a friggin .22" the comment gave me pause till I basked in a feeling warmth realizing I felt I actually got the better end of the trade
Old 05-07-2017, 07:16 AM
AL
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
No one has even touched on the subject of bolt action benchrest rifles, where a single shot .22lr rifle you don't even hold can cost anywhere from $1500 to over $3000. I used to be involved in that sport and one of my fellow shooters paid $600 just to have someone put a custom paint job on the stock. So paying $350 for a .22 rifle just doesn't seem that bad.
Old 05-07-2017, 07:43 AM
Bricknhank

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Yes

Yes, I hear it from my wife every time I make a new purchase no matter what caliber.
Also, the price of a Mark IV is only too high if people are not purchasing them. I don't think that Ruger has that problem right now.
Old 05-07-2017, 08:15 AM
Electraclyde
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
If I need to explain, you won't understand.
Old 05-07-2017, 08:16 AM
22-Rimfire

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberbeast View Post
Two comments - "why do you have so many 22s" and "why would you spend so much on a 22?"

A fine firearm is a pleasure no matter what the caliber.
A fine firearm is TRULY a pleasure and it takes experience to understand the difference other than a price tag.

Many of us that have been dealing and shooting 22's for most of our lives have dealt with the "why do they cost so much? It's ONLY a 22." There is a lot of history involved as well as growing and maturing and it is most difficult to explain the difference where "they" would actually care about the difference when all they want is a 10/22 to blast a few soda cans a couple times a year. As I have gotten older, I even prefer the better 22 for blasting up some soda cans from time to time. A good 22 rifle or handgun is a joy to handle and shoot.

I started out with a Mossberg semi-auto 22 rifle years ago and the rifle cost me about $50-$60 new. Dad paid half and I paid the other half from money I could put together. I couldn't afford many of the firearms I lusted for, but believe me I was thrilled to death at age 14 to have my own 22 rifle to shoot when I felt like it or could afford to feed it. After I got out of college, my first 22 rifle was a Weathery Mark XXII (semi). It was a joy to shoot and still is.

I always called the Kimber type 22 rifles "yuppie guns". I could afford them at that point in my life and wanted one. But at that time I wasn't shooting more than a couple times a year that nudged me to reality that I didn't need the Kimber and that money was better spent on furniture or something for the house.

Roll the clock forward and I still love a good 22 rifle or handgun. I have a lot of them. Nobody really needs 40 or 50 22's do they?

Last edited by 22-Rimfire; 05-07-2017 at 08:25 AM.