I can't believe you paid that much for a .22! - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 05-06-2017, 04:44 AM
Z400ACDC
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I can't believe you paid that much for a .22!

Have any of you had that said to you? I have bought a MKIV Target and Hunter since February. Many that have looked at them would ask the price. It makes me wonder if they have shopped for pistols lately! Many pistols are in the 5-600 range. I don't understand why they think the size of the hole in the barrel would change the price of production. I look at the machine work in a mkiv vs my glock19 and by that you would think the mkiv would be 2 times the price of one of these striker fired pistols.
Old 05-06-2017, 05:20 AM
VARimfireGuy

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
I have heard that comment a bunch. It is regularly seen in this forum. Many people believe that 22LR means inexpensive to produce. Some do understand that there are more expensive 22s made but cannot fathom why anyone would purchase one. I used to attend a group squirrel hunt and was always amazed that guys would show up not having a clue where their rifle was shooting. One guy even showed up with a borrowed gun that he had never shot. Invariably these were the same guys that thought anything over $200 for a 22 was ridiculous money. After that hunt we would have a target competition for money. Interestingly, the only guys who would put money on the line were the ones that knew their rifles and had a bit of money in them. I am not trying to say one needs to spend a bunch to have a decently accurate rifle. The mossberg plinkster thread on here is very interesting! I do agree 100% that some people just don't put rimfire in the same group as centerfire as to what they think a firearm should cost.
Old 05-06-2017, 06:52 AM
fourbore

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I see more the glass is 3/4 full on rim fire central. There is a lot of enthusiasm and talent on RFC. It depends on the forum to a degree. Check out the Anschutz forum - those guys are very serious. You have to remember the younger members are generally on a tighter budget.

Among the old codgers I associate with there is a willingness to pay up for better. I did stand out when I was young with a new motorcycle and weatherby XXII, yet driving a beater old rambler and wearing old jeans. Life was different back then. I could work an hour anyplace and get the equal of an ounce of silver for my trouble. Or twice that at sears. That is the equall of $16 to $32 bucks an hour today. Our standard has dropped, I am hoping to see a little turn around in the next 4 years. Doubtful.

I ran into this on other websites and its much worse. I mention trigger pull, and thumb rest complaints and its like I am from a totally different culture. The concern is how much low quality ammo can be fired and how fast. Accuracy is not a consideration. Look at you tube. Try and find a serious gun test. Just try. Its all plinking offhand or on a make shift bench. No controls at all.

Even here, why do some own 8 or 10 CZ rifles or as many Ruger 22 pistols and not own a single Anschutz or HiStandard or Model 41?

Old 05-06-2017, 07:06 AM
Loke
US Army Veteran Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I see the same mentality with ammo. A couple of years ago, the only 22 LR we could get at the store where I work, was the really high end target stuff. And the constant complaint was that "last year I could buy a brick of ammo at Walmart for $12, why are you charging $95 now". Most of them would stand there with a blank stare as we tried to explain that RWS Rifle and Pistol Match always cost that much, and we weren't trying to price gouge them.
Old 05-06-2017, 08:20 AM
22/45 Fan

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
The cost of good equipment always baffles those who aren't seriously involved in that particular activity.

I'm a dedicated bicycle rider and one of my bikes cost over $4000 10 years ago. When I've been asked what it cost by casual riders, they look shocked and tell me; "I got my bike at Target (or Walmart or what ever big box store) for $100 and it's great". Well, yeah, but come back after you've ridden it 40,000 miles of hills like I have and we'll see how it's going.

Golf clubs are the same, a dedicated golfer will pay thousands of dollars for a set of clubs that can be "duplicated" at Dicks for $200. Non-golfers and casual golfers can't see why they would.
Old 05-06-2017, 08:46 AM
JStacy

TPC Rating: 
100% (29)
I agree on quality and cost associated with quality but I cannot see the MK IV worth 100.00 across the board more than a MK III. I know they have an easy take down system but is that worth 100.00 more than the MK II/III's . I am happy with my MK II/III's and do not feel compelled to trade one in on a MKIV. If it were a Padrini or high end Walther I see the high price but the MK IV's in my area of the world, south Texas, are running almost 700.00 for the MK IV hunter .
I guess I'm getting old and conservative and OK with Mark I, MKII & MK III's.
Old 05-06-2017, 08:59 AM
timberbeast

TPC Rating: 
100% (36)
Two comments - "why do you have so many 22s" and "why would you spend so much on a 22?"

I smile and say that while they are blasting tin cans at 25 yards with their ARs, I enjoy shooting golf balls at 100 yards.

A fine firearm is a pleasure no matter what the caliber.
Old 05-06-2017, 09:16 AM
robs9

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote from timberbeast
A fine firearm is a pleasure no matter what the caliber.

That is soo true!!! Best statement in whole thread.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk
Old 05-06-2017, 11:17 AM
cabin22

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
"I can't believe you paid that much for a .22" - Truth be told, No, no one has ever asked me that. I have however asked myself that question on occasion. A few times. When I bought my then new Weatherby XXII bolt, the new S&W 617, and again when I bought a Buck Mark rifle. Never regretted the XXII or the 617, but the BM rifle, while great fun to shoot, does sporadically dredge up buyer's remorse. I have also asked myself that question on the other end of the spectrum, when I picked up a used but well maintained Marlin 795 with scope, sling, & 3 extra mags for $100. So, it can work both ways.

No doubt any hobby or sport can get expensive quickly and those that aren't more than just casually involved are dumbfounded at the prices others will pay for equipment and/or travel and professional expenses.
Old 05-06-2017, 11:26 AM
catbird

TPC Rating: 
100% (10)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z400ACDC View Post
Have any of you had that said to you?
Plenty! My answer is:
I shoot my .22's 50 times more than my other firearms, therefore paying the same as the centerfire costs is an unbeatable bargain.
Old 05-06-2017, 12:18 PM
OpsMgr
US Air Force Disabled American Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JStacy View Post
I agree on quality and cost associated with quality but I cannot see the MK IV worth 100.00 across the board more than a MK III. I know they have an easy take down system but is that worth 100.00 more than the MK II/III's . I am happy with my MK II/III's and do not feel compelled to trade one in on a MKIV. If it were a Padrini or high end Walther I see the high price but the MK IV's in my area of the world, south Texas, are running almost 700.00 for the MK IV hunter .
I guess I'm getting old and conservative and OK with Mark I, MKII & MK III's.
Indeed and we'll said...

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
Old 05-06-2017, 12:56 PM
xdm9mm

TPC Rating: 
100% (7)
I sometimes get that comment with the youngsters with AR15 rifles and red dot on top who can't hit a plate sized target at 25 yards...

I met a loudmouthed guy 2 months ago with an AR 15 and an "expensive" red dot on top.. he was trying to hit a gong at 25 yards and I counted 5 hits with a 30 round mag.. then I said may I try it with my 22LR, maybe I could hit it once, and he agreed... he was quiet after I hit the gong 10 times .
Old 05-06-2017, 01:52 PM
Air-cooled

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Take a look at the Smith & Wesson Model 48 (22 mag). Almost $1000
Old 05-06-2017, 02:01 PM
hizer4648

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I shoot budget 22 cal rifles such as Marlin xt 22tr, Marlin M60,Ruger 1022, Henry, GSG 522SD. To me it's about the fun I have shooting them, nothing else. It lowers my stress. Maybe later I might want a higher end 22 rifle, but for now these are doing what I expect from them. Plinking and sometimes varmint control.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 05-06-2017, 03:36 PM
Z400ACDC

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SGW Gunsmith View Post
I am convinced that some SHIRT at Ruger follows these forums. Looking back, there has been a multitude of complaints posted about how difficult the Ruger Mark III is to reassemble after a complete disassembly, and even a field "take down".
Seems the extra price for "convenience" has captured the audience Ruger was after. Easy take down so it's not such a mind boggling endeavor must make for better sales. Good grief.................we even have cars these days that PARK themselves and stop before the driver rear ends a dump truck while "texting".

If anyone feels the desperate need to trade in a Ruger Mark II GREAT EIGHT NIB toward a Ruger Mark IV, call or PM me immediately.
I sold my Lipseys mkiiGCL to my best friend after I bought my first mkiv. I did not sell it to fund the mkiv. I believe the mkiv has a lot to live up to. IMO! the mkii is the best mark series pistol ever!