Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 04-29-2017, 02:25 PM
dnttech

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
May 2017 100-Yard Benchrest Challenge

May 2017 100-Yard Benchrest Challenge

Guidelines:

Notice: These guidelines are for May’s 2017 100-Yard .17/.22 Rimfire Benchrest Challenge. Hopefully it is pretty self-explanatory, but if you have any questions, please PM me for clarification or post your question in the thread.

The classes will be divided into three (3) groups. Factory Sporter, Modified and Honorary. Only CZ or BRNO rifles are allowed in the Factory Sporter and Modified classes. Any rifle capable of chambering a .17 or .22 caliber rimfire round is permitted in the Honorary class.

Factory Sporter: Rifles can include trigger modifications (including aftermarket trigger replacement,) bolt work, striker mods, etc., but it must use a factory CZ barrel. No tuners are allowed, even with factory barrels. Stocks must be factory OEM. No limitations will be included on optics. Use whichever power scope you wish.

Modified: Will include any rifle which hosts a 3rd party barrel, (Lilja, Benchmark, Shilen, etc.) Again, no limitation on optics.

Honorary: Though he is not a CZ shooter, this class was begun due to the inspiration of Smoothtrigger and his desire to participate in our Challenges. This class will include any non-CZ/BRNO rifle of .17 or .22 rimfire caliber and will also include any action capable of chambering either round. Again, no limitation on optics.

Posted Targets: During the Spring, Summer and Fall months, consider this to be from March through November, inclusive, all submitted targets must be shot outdoors at 100 yards. During Winter months, consider this to be from December through February, inclusive, participants have the option to shoot indoors, but will be shooting under a Class entitled "Indoor." The "Indoor" class will be open to any make and/or model of .17 or .22 caliber rimfire. There will be no restriction on optics and the choice of ammunition will be left to the shooter's discretion.

This month, the target is provided as a collaboration between Jaia and Rick Baum and is quite similar to the first target we used for the Challenge some months ago.

PLEASE READ THE FOLLOWING: YES, IT’S IMPORTANT!

This month will be quite a departure from how we normally score/measure targets. Bill40718, one of the TargetMeisters from the Ultimates thread on the 1022 Forum has volunteered to measure our targets for us. DO NOT MEASURE YOUR OWN TARGET. In order to keep all measurements consistent, e-mail your target to Bill who will measure targets using OnTarget software and will return your target to you for you to post. Prior to e-mailing your target to Bill, make sure you write the caliber the target was shot with clearly on the page...ie., .17 or .22 caliber.

Target Guidelines: You will fire 5 shots per bullseye and attempt to obtain the smallest group possible on the target from 100 yards. There are 4 bullseyes per page for a total of 20 shots, with the average of the 4 groups used to determine your score. Again, because we are using an electronic form of measurements, the “sighters” you see in the middle of the page are unnecessary. Use them if you’d like to ensure your optics are sighted correctly, but they are not necessary to find the average bullet size.

When Bill returns your target, simply ensure the necessary information is present on the target prior to posting…ie., shooter’s RFC name, rifle make/model, ammunition used, class, etc.

The following e-mail address will be used by participants to contact Bill: [email protected]

Per Bill’s request, DO NOT plug any shots. Plugging expands the hole a bit and could result in an inaccurate measurement.

In addition, Bill has requested an actual, accurate measurement of something on the target just in case his printer or he doesn’t print the target correctly. An example would be the length of the bottom horizontal line of the top left group box. In this manner, Bill can set the reference length accurately and everyone’s target is measured by the exact same scale.

Lastly, Bill has asked that when forwarding your target, you send the target as an attachment...do not embed the target in the text of the message.

In the event of a tie, and I am confident we will not have one, the 1st group (upper left hand target) will be the 1st tie breaker. Should a tie continue, we’ll go to the 2nd group (upper right hand target) and continue in like fashion until we reach the 4th group. Should a tie remain unbroken, you should enter the clergy and not waste your time shooting because you are truly blessed. We'll call it a tie.

The link to download the target is below. Please let me know if you have any trouble with the link.

The title of this month's target is May 4 x 5 Target. You may use either the black or red version.

This is the “Black” version.

http://redirect.viglink.com/?format=...204x5%20Target

This is the “Red” version.

http://redirect.viglink.com/?format=...ay%204x5%20Red

Remember, your best results scoring a target will come from using a heavier paper. Most like to use a 60+ pound paper available from virtually anywhere....Meijer's, Staples, Walmart, etc.

All targets, there are 4 per page, will require 5-shots per bullseye. Shoot as many pages as you would like and post your very best. Only your best page and lowest combined group average of the 4 targets will be posted.

When you print the target be sure to set it to print "Actual size" and 100 percent which should give you the correct target size.

The rifle can be supported front and rear; however no one-piece or vice-type rests are allowed. Bipods/rear bags, mechanical rests (front and/or rear) may also be used either from the bench or prone position….shooter’s choice.

Calibers can include any 17 or 22 caliber rimfire in any class. There are no restrictions on bullet type. You may use match ammo, HV, HP or whatever it is with which you typically shoot.

Remember to include the necessary information when posting your target:

1. Shooter’s RFC screen name.
2. Rifle description – Make/Model
3. Ammunition used
4. Date of target
5. Class - Sporter, Modified, Honorary

For those with any number of CZ’s/BRNO’s and other brands, feel free to shoot in any class at your discretion. Please post only your best target from each class.

The top 3 places from each class will receive the following:

1st Place Factory Sporter:

25.00 Gift Card From Home Depot

2nd Place Factory Sporter:

15.00 Gift Card From Home Depot

3rd Place Factory Sporter:

1 Box .22 CCI SV

1st Place Modified

2nd Place Modified:

3rd Place Modified:

1 Box .22 CCI SV

1st Place Honorary

2nd Place Honorary:

3rd Place Honorary:

1 Box .22 CCI SV

In the event a shooter feels a mistake has been made in reference to a competitor’s score or the shooter’s final position among participants, an RFC Moderator will make the final determination.

Please have all targets into the thread which reads “May 2017 100-Yard Benchrest Challenge,” no later then the 5 days before the end of the month. This will allow all targets to be viewed and any protests to be answered. When your target is submitted, it MUST have all pertinent information included such as shooter's screen name, rifle type/model, ammunition used, etc.

Have fun!!!

Bob (dnttech)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Current Standings

Modified

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickBaum View Post
1. .519 - RickBaum - CZ 455/Lilja/22LR/Federal UM 22, Lot 354/Page 6, Post #77
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrink View Post
2. .544 - Shrink - CZ 455/Lilja/22LR/RWS R50/Page 16, Post #228
Quote:
3. .833 - CamBaum - CZ 455/Lilja/22LR/Federal Ultra Match/Page 27, Post #400-B
Quote:
Originally Posted by dnttech View Post
4. 1.221 - Steelpier - CZ-2KE/22LR/Federal Ultra Match/Page 23, Post #324

Factory Sporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SavagePlinker View Post
1. 636 - SavagePlinker - CZ 452 American/22LR/SK Standard Plus/Page 16, Post #245
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcmark View Post
2 .710 - rcmark - CZ 455 Factory Sporter/22LR/Lapua Center X/Page 23, Post #335
Quote:
Originally Posted by FFournier View Post
3. .747 - FFournier - CZ 452 Full Stock/22LR/Federal Ultra Match/Page 14, Post #209
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronco 302 View Post
4. .751 - Bronco302 - CZ 452 American/22LR/Eley Match/Page 22, Post #319
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoNewTricks View Post
5. .867 - NoNewTricks - CZ 452 Military Trainer/22LR/Federal Ultra Match/Page 22, Post #326
Quote:
Originally Posted by R4B1DM4U53 View Post
6. 1.022 - R4B1DM4U53 - CZ 455 FS/17HMR/CCI 20gr. JSP/Page 13, Post #189
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldskeeter View Post
7. 1.033 - Oldskeeter - CZ 455 Trainer/22LR/SK Rifle Match/Page 20, Post #296
Quote:
8. 1.059 - Loke - CZ 452 American/22LR/Norma Tac 22/Page 6, Post #88-B

Honorary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Les1911 View Post
1. .315 - Les1911 - GM25/CST 1022/22LR/Lapua Midas +/Page 18, Post #265
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronco 302 View Post
2. .574 - Bronco302 - Anschutz 1827-F/22LR/Lapua Polar Biathlon/Page 10, Post #140
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoothtrigger View Post
3. .580 - Smoothtrigger - Anschutz 1717/Lilja/17HMR/Federal TNT/Page 2, Post #29
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Corinthians2 View Post
4. .712 - 1Corinthians2 - Remington 541S/22LR/SK Rifle Match/Page 14, Post #202
Quote:
Originally Posted by soupcan View Post
5. .800 - Soupcan - Kimber 82G/22LR/Norma Match/Page 26, Post #389
Quote:
6. .886 - JakeBaum - Anschutz/Benchmark/22LR/Federal Ultra Match/Page 27, Post #400-A
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryP View Post
7. 1.002 - JerryP - Anschutz 54.30/22LR/RWS R50/Page 16, Post #241
Quote:
8. 1.081 - Loke - Ruger 77/17/17HMR/Federal Utra Shok/Page 6, Post #88-A
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdriscole View Post
9. 1.399 - bdriscole - Anschutz 1416/22LR/S&K Match (?)/Page 24, Post #360

Last edited by dnttech; 05-27-2017 at 03:43 PM. Reason: Q
Old 04-29-2017, 02:26 PM
dnttech

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Guys, the most important thing about this month is DO NOT MEASURE YOUR OWN TARGET! This will invalidate your entry. The e-mail address to whom you send your target is embedded within the Guidelines.

Prior to sending your target to Bill40718, please ensure you specify the caliber with which your target was shot....17, .22, 88mm...ya know, the important stuff...

The last day to post targets for this month's Challenge is May 26th. No targets can be submitted after that date.

Thank God, an easy one to score this month!!!

Game on....

Last edited by dnttech; 04-29-2017 at 08:26 PM.
Old 04-29-2017, 05:20 PM
jaia
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
DO NOT SCORE YOUR OWN TARGET!

OnTarget software right?

I've got that installed on a computer.
Downloaded the original v1.10 setup package when it was freeware.
Recently it was removed from distribution.
Bet it was interfering with sales of the latest version.

I'll score my own targets with it.
As the ammo I have is so inconsistent
it's unlikely I'll shoot anything worthwhile.

No use wasting Bill's time.

Last edited by jaia; 04-29-2017 at 05:32 PM.

Old 04-29-2017, 05:41 PM
Appleseed Rifleman

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Last month there were 3 "Modified" shooters... we know there are more of you out there than that! Don'tcha wanna come out to play?
Old 04-29-2017, 05:46 PM
jaia

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
You know they want to play Rabid.
You know there were plenty of targets shot, but not entered.
What good is it to post a target that wasn't worth the effort.

More than likely they've been purchasing their ammo from the same suppliers I have.

Good thing I have the "holy terror" to cheat with, right chilly?

Last edited by jaia; 04-29-2017 at 05:49 PM.
Old 04-29-2017, 07:59 PM
dnttech

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Julie will have her new stock back from DJ in a couple of days. She's looking forward to shooting this month's target.

That'll be another entry into Modified, Rabid....It's a shame she doesn't like the KIDD or I'd have her in Honorary, also.
Old 04-29-2017, 08:08 PM
RickBaum
Fire Fighter

TPC Rating: 
100% (7)
I can always have my boys shoot the CZ.. Unfortunately we didn't get out last month.. Turns out, they hate shooting in a tube more than I do.. Lol. If spring will ever dry out so we can get out to the desert here, they will be posting some targets in modified.
Old 04-29-2017, 08:35 PM
FFournier

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Well DJ will be testing out my rifle tomorrow, Sunday. If all goes well I should have it back in a week or so and there will be one more enrty in the Modified class.
Old 04-29-2017, 08:54 PM
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! Appleseed Member Appleseed Rifleman

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
jala

In the October match, which was the same contest/target type (5 shots for average on 4 bulls), you had the second best score of all of the shooters...placing second by a mere 1/000 of an inch.

DJdilliodon - .493 CZ455/Benchmark/.22LR
2. Jaia - .494 CZ455/Lilja/17HMR

Why would you want to disqualify yourself from this months contest by scoring your own target?

I realize that you've had a bad run of ammo recently, but come on, there's still hope.

Smooth

Last edited by Smoothtrigger; 04-29-2017 at 09:26 PM.
Old 04-29-2017, 10:29 PM
djdilliodon

TPC Rating: 
100% (47)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoothtrigger View Post
jala

In the October match, which was the same contest/target type (5 shots for average on 4 bulls), you had the second best score of all of the shooters...placing second by a mere 1/000 of an inch.

DJdilliodon - .493 CZ455/Benchmark/.22LR
2. Jaia - .494 CZ455/Lilja/17HMR

Why would you want to disqualify yourself from this months contest by scoring your own target?

I realize that you've had a bad run of ammo recently, but come on, there's still hope.

Smooth
I remember shooting that target. That setup didn't use the custom chamber but the lilja match with old style cone breech. I'd love to try it from a rest with a gun using the new chamber. I'm going to the range tomorrow and have a pro varmint build to test. Can I use any target that has 4 bulls like the October match target?
Old 04-29-2017, 10:45 PM
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! Appleseed Member Appleseed Rifleman

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
djdillodon

"Can I use any target that has 4 bulls like the October match target?"

Above my pay grade.

However the target paper you used back in October left a lot to be desired.

Time to step up to some 67# cover stock.

Smooth

Last edited by Smoothtrigger; 04-29-2017 at 10:59 PM.
Old 04-30-2017, 04:56 AM
Steelpier

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by R4B1DM4U53 View Post
Last month there were 3 "Modified" shooters... we know there are more of you out there than that! Don'tcha wanna come out to play?
I wouldn't mind shooting in the modified class but I don't want to change my factory action or barrel. What is the easiest way to modify the gun? Would a trigger job qualify?
Old 04-30-2017, 06:18 AM
dnttech

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Ummmmmmmmmmm, DJ? Why don't ya just print a couple of targets out BEFORE ya go to the range? Problem solved!!!! You're sure it's open today, right?

Did Duck write that question????

Yeah, go ahead and use a different target if you need to...lol

Bob

Little Rascal, huh??? Remember, I've still got a good memory..

Jaia??? What Smooth said!!

Last edited by dnttech; 04-30-2017 at 06:22 AM.
Old 04-30-2017, 07:52 AM
Appleseed Rifleman

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelpier View Post
What is the easiest way to modify the gun?
Stick the Limbsaver X-Ring "tuner" on the barrel.
Old 04-30-2017, 08:15 AM
chilly807

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Bill's gonna wish he'd never offered to score targets once we get going. I'm probably going to shoot at least a couple entries to give us something to look at early on in the month. The wind can't blow every weekend, right?

I'm heading to the range today, although it's pretty windy. I'll still shoot the 25 yd scoped match, wind isn't as much a problem at 25.

The Wild Thing remains in the experimental stage, it won' t get used at 100 til 50 looks promising. Too many variables at 100 to tell if I'm making progress.