Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 11-04-2018, 03:11 PM
Bill T
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Test_Engineer View Post
Ruger has never made a Mark pistol that doesn't benefit from some "Rube Goldberg modifications".
Don't confuse customizing, with trying to modify a gun so you can field strip it and put it back together without a hammer.
Old 11-04-2018, 03:12 PM
CardPuncher
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (7)
Quote:
Originally Posted by M2HB View Post
I like the MK-II and the MK-IV. I own MK-Is, and IIs. I donít own a MK-IV, but I would like to. I have no desire to own a MK-III.....
I own only MK-III's. All have the mag safety removed. The one with the Tactical Solutions upper has no LCI since they don't include it but I'd rather have the LCI than not. I have no desire to own a I, II or IV but really think the differences are in the details. They are all versions of the same wonderful pistol.
Quote:
Originally Posted by M2HB View Post
... I suggest that everyone enjoy what you have and have fun enjoying the sport.....
I couldn't agree more.
Old 11-04-2018, 03:17 PM
Bill T

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Longhair1957 View Post
I havenít had a problem with the old style take down in 40 years. A bent Bobby pin for the mainspring takedown. And a block of wood or a rubber mallet. Is all thatís needed.
You shouldn't need bent bobby pins, blocks of wood, and mallets to field strip a pistol and put it back together. With a Mark IV you don't. Did Ruger provide you with those "tools" when you bought your Mark II? I didn't find them in the box when I bought mine. Nor did the instructions mention that I even needed them.

Old 11-04-2018, 03:59 PM
Bill T

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I enjoy my Mark II's as well as my Mark III. But a fact of life with rimfire pistols is they get dirty when you shoot them. And they must be cleaned as a result. The Mark IV is able to accomplish that task with a minimum amount of aggravation, quicker and much easier.

Where as the Mark II and III are difficult at best, a total PITA in fact to accomplish the same task. But as far as shooting, they are all very enjoyable.
Old 11-04-2018, 04:10 PM
baytree
US Navy Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I dont know that there is a right or wrong answer to this question... for my money it is the MK II... i own about 10 of them and just one RST.. the MKII competes in a weekly competition and has for more than 25 years.. it holds its own against S&W 41's and Hammerli's.. yes it is more tricky to break down but it is just that.. a trick and nothing difficult.. I also really admire the RST for its simplicity and accuracy... the MKIV is a nice fix but not a game changer for me... the MKII is their masterpiece
Old 11-04-2018, 04:20 PM
edlmann
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theo98 View Post
Quote:
If I were to give letter grades to the mark pistols based on NIB configuration and design quality, they would receive:
RST/MK1 = C
MK2 = B+
MK3 = D
MK4 = B
For me, I seem to agree with TE's graded progressions of the Ruger Mk Series since the 1949 introduction of their .22 RF!
I think you guys are a bit hard on the RST/MKI, but that is my opinion. I have four 1st Gen pistols (an RST4, 2 T512 and a T678), and the only two I'd consider at this point would be an RST6 or T514. If I came across either barrel configuration in a Mark II, that would do it for me.
Old 11-04-2018, 05:13 PM
Theo98

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill T View Post
...But as far as shooting, they are all very enjoyable.
Here-Here...Main and Best reason for owning a Mk Pistol!!!

Ted
Old 11-04-2018, 07:30 PM
Tacoma
US Navy

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theo98 View Post
Here-Here...Main and Best reason for owning a Mk Pistol!!!

Ted
..and fortunately there is room in the safe for more than one
Old 11-04-2018, 08:30 PM
Flash_80

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Simple fact is, you can't run a cleaning rod thru the bore until the bolt is removed from the receiver. So pushing a button is just the first step in MKIV takedown. You then have to rotate the receiver up and lift it off the frame, and then set the frame down. You then have to remove the bolt and set it on the table. That's what I consider "taken down".

I just used this app to time my MKIII take down and reassembly:

https://www.online-stopwatch.com/timer/60seconds/

Takedown was 5 seconds. Reassembly was 9 seconds. And considering I had to push the Start and Pause buttons on the timer, actual takedown and reassembly times is less than that. I can't even come close to those times (especially reassembly) with a MKIV.

Some people (see above) just don't want to admit that the "Push Button Takedown" is NOT a needed feature for all who have older version Mark pistols. It's just not a big deal.

I'm glad my MKIV went to a guy that can appreciate the design.

I still don't get it. I mean, get a fingernail or some tool under the mainspring latch, pull it open, change grip, pull the mainspring out of the gun, pull the bolt out, pop off the upper.

No way that can be faster than push the button, rotate the receiver up and off, and pull out the bolt.

I mean, I can take the receiver right off the frame on my MKIII pretty easily, but my cousin's you have to knock it off with a mallet. So this is considering a MKII/III with a looser fitting upper as well.

Unless you are just talking about leaving the receiver on the frame with the MKII and calling it done. Then I understand. Pull mainspring, pull bolt and done, where as the MKIV is going to come apart in your hands without being able to leave the receiver intact. And again, if that was what you were implying, then yes, I can believe that all day.
Old 11-04-2018, 08:38 PM
Empe

TPC Rating: 
100% (7)
Test Engineers claim of being able to take down & put together a MK II or III quicker than a MK IV seems to be shall we say a little incredulous ?
Old 11-04-2018, 08:47 PM
Flash_80

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
I'd still like a 10" MKII in the safe. On a one pistol deal, I couldn't do a MKII just because of the heel mag release. My MKIV gets used in knockdown competitions, and generally have 2 reloads a stage. No way I could keep up without the button the spring assist ejection. So a lot of these opinions and stances sometimes will revolve around an individual's personal use. Bullseye or silhouette, even steel challenge wouldn't make a difference there, but I don't do any of that.

I actually passed on the MKII in 2003 for a Buckmark over the mag release. Couldn't do the 22/45 of the time, stiff controls and fugly. And I've never considered my Buckmark a pain to strip down either, but I've got to break out the allen wrenches to get it done. So in comparison, its actually quite a bit of a pain.
Old 11-05-2018, 03:27 AM
Bill T

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Empe View Post
Test Engineers claim of being able to take down & put together a MK II or III quicker than a MK IV seems to be shall we say a little incredulous ?
Ruger Mark II Disassembly / Reassembly

Disassembly starts at 1:00

Reassembly starts at 5:30

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CZ_wTmiko0g

Ruger Mark IV Dissassembly / Reassembly

Total video length...... 28 seconds.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PsBA8jck5vg
Old 11-05-2018, 07:35 AM
Sophia

That Evil Admin Lady
TPC Rating: 
100% (23)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Empe View Post
Well, even if he can do it that doesn't mean I can do it and, frankly, that's what matters to me.

But it's not about the time. It's about the hassle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill T View Post
I enjoy my Mark II's as well as my Mark III. But a fact of life with rimfire pistols is they get dirty when you shoot them. And they must be cleaned as a result. The Mark IV is able to accomplish that task with a minimum amount of aggravation, quicker and much easier.

Where as the Mark II and III are difficult at best, a total PITA in fact to accomplish the same task. But as far as shooting, they are all very enjoyable.

Last edited by Sophia; 11-05-2018 at 07:37 AM.
Old 11-05-2018, 09:18 AM
Bill T

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sophia View Post
Well, even if he can do it that doesn't mean I can do it and, frankly, that's what matters to me. But it's not about the time. It's about the hassle.
This hits the nail right on the head. It has nothing to do with shooter ability, as it does the design of the weapon to begin with. Along with the fact he had to MODIFY his gun so he can do it.

Give a showroom stock Toyota Camry to a NASCAR pit crew, and see how long it takes them to change the tires. Compared to a Cup Car that's all set up for it. With lug nuts that are pre glued to the wheels, and extra long tapered studs to accept them, and $1,500.00 high speed air guns.

It all means nothing because it's apples and oranges. Give a BOX STOCK Mark II or III to an average shooter, and tell him to field strip it and reassemble it. Then give the same guy a Mark IV and tell him to do the same.

There will be no comparison. He'll have the Mark IV apart and back together 10 times, in the same amount of time it takes him to do the Mark II or III once. THAT is what matters.
Old 11-05-2018, 10:40 AM
cabin22

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
This has been an entertaining thread. I have an RST, a 50th anniversary Mark II, and a Mark IV Target. I posted my experiences in the Mark I forum on my first attempt at disassembly & reassembly of the RST back in April. I got it done, but not without a video "coach" and a lot of time. The second time around, on the Mark II, wasn't much faster, even with the previous owner's Majestic Speed-Strip kit installed. I could have timed my efforts with an hourglass.

I timed the disassembly & reassembly of my Mark IV this morning just for fun. Time to press button, remove barrel, and remove bolt = 3.5 seconds. Time to reinsert bolt, slip barrel onto frame, and click in place = 5.5 seconds. Including time to press the start/stop button on the timer.

But in response to the original question of whether a Mark II, III, or IV, I'd vote for the Mark IV based on my two specific guns. My Mark IV consistently outshoots the Mark II, but didn't outshoot the old RST when I first got them.

The only issue I had with the Mark IV was with the front sight. The original 0.430 factory post was too high to actually use the rear sight elevation adjustments, the TacSol 0.365 FO sight was too low, but the Dawson Precision 0.400 FO front sight is just right. I expect my Mark IV will shoot better with the recent front sight upgrade; I can see the FO much better than the black post.

Last edited by cabin22; 11-05-2018 at 10:43 AM.