Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 12-24-2017, 01:23 PM
jmanire

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Mark IV Safety Lever?

Thanks to everyone for this helpful discussion. I don't have a firearms background but got interested in shooting this year and purchased the Mark IV 22/45. If I have my details straight, it appears the safety lever on this pistol is different from the earlier models. It has a prominent flange which comes into contact with my thumb when gripping the pistol. Looks like the earlier Mark pistols had a smaller external safety button. I don't have any experience with these other pistols, but I guess the Mark IV safety lever is closer to a 1911. When I grip the pistol, I can either hold my thumb under the lever, which unintentionally engages the safety fairly often, or bring my thumb over the safety, which is not as comfortable for me. Am I right about the change in design? Any thoughts about the thumb-over grip? Thanks again.
Old 12-29-2017, 12:09 PM
Kandaje

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Greetings...

My vote:

I've been shooting Ruger Marks (the closest this model comes to a 'name') pretty much all my life.
Since the late 60's. I love them all.

I grew up with a 'Standard', AKA Mark 1 as a boy, it went everywhere with me. In those days,
it was not only possible, but expected. Not so much today.

Mk 2's are the defacto 'Standard' which old gaseous emanations like myself grew up and fell in love
with as young adults with disposable income, and now judge everything against. Kind of like a first girlfriend.

The safeties on the Mk 3's I think of as 'excessively Kaliforistanian'. Easily removed.
They are now just the expected 'sad' chapter in Ruger Mark history. Personally I have no problem with it,
and I love them too.

The Mk 4's are a clear out of the ball park home run! I hope manufacturing keeps up with the demand!

I want to see a Mk 5 in a few years, But then, I was a HUGE Speed-Racer fan as a kid,
and having a gun called the Ruger Mach-5 would just tickle me pink!

Men love accessorizing, modifying, and tweeking their guns as much as women do shoes...

Last edited by Kandaje; 12-29-2017 at 12:17 PM.
Old 02-06-2018, 12:23 AM
lil_Glock

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I have shot and handled many MK1, MKII, and MKIII since the first MKI, I shot 35 years ago. I have always wanted one.

Just never liked gouging the pry leaver out only to see my friends with scratched backstraps and pawnshop, and gun show examples that had been gouged. Simply to clean and maintenance the things.

Well when I heard about the MKIV I knew I had to get one. So I will be picking up the all Stainless threaded TARGET tomorrow.

We'll today now.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-06-2018, 11:25 AM
Z400ACDC
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I have seen several MKIII pistols where the holes of the receiver do not line up with the grip frame. You should not have to get out the hammer and a punch to get the bolt stop out. If you take the bolt out and drop a 5/16 bit, upside down, you can see where the frame hole needs some adjustments for the holes to line up. When all three line up, the bolt stop pops right in. When you add a mag disconect bushing, you can eliminate all that put your mag in and out Hokie pokie. It makes cleaning a nkiii a lot simpler!
Old 02-06-2018, 01:06 PM
22/45 Fan

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmanire View Post
If I have my details straight, it appears the safety lever on this pistol is different from the earlier models. It has a prominent flange which comes into contact with my thumb when gripping the pistol. Looks like the earlier Mark pistols had a smaller external safety button. I don't have any experience with these other pistols, but I guess the Mark IV safety lever is closer to a 1911. When I grip the pistol, I can either hold my thumb under the lever, which unintentionally engages the safety fairly often, or bring my thumb over the safety, which is not as comfortable for me. Am I right about the change in design? Any thoughts about the thumb-over grip? Thanks again.
Yes, the MkIV does have a "1911-type" safety and some shooters do have problems with inadvertently bumping it. If you are right handed and the right side lever interferes with your hand be aware it can be removed and replaced with a small washer that's packed with the pistol and the fastening bolt replaced. The owner's manual shows how this is done.

I'm left handed and the new ambidextrous safety is a great feature to me. Earlier Marks had a hard to use button safety that was completely inaccessible to lefties.
Old 02-06-2018, 07:41 PM
lil_Glock

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Let me just start off saying,

She's a brick house!

I picked up the RUGER MARK IV STAINLESS TARGET 5.5" THREADED from the FFL today. I am so happy with it. It is a picture perfect specimen. Completely Flawless cosmeticly. Unbelievable fit and finish. This thing could be photographed and put on the cover of any gun rag. It is freaking beautiful.

Now, I will be deleting the ambi safety, and installing a improved trigger. The trigger "FEELS" like about a consistent 8 lbs as you continue to pull and pulll and that's it, Pull it a little more. Any time now. Then tick. Dang it was like binge watching a mini series to get to the end of that dang thing.

Now for the part I have been waiting for.

She stripped down like a very, very, tight and costly call girl. However once together she was like one solid piece of stainless. You would never guess she had a button you could push and she would just open up like she do,,,but she do.

Let's just say this is the kind you don't let gat away.

Now,,, I just have to break it to my woman. I hope she understands......

Wish me luck.
Bill

Last edited by lil_Glock; 02-06-2018 at 09:39 PM.
Old 02-15-2018, 09:56 PM
lil_Glock

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Old 02-15-2018, 09:58 PM
lil_Glock

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)

Last edited by lil_Glock; 02-15-2018 at 10:02 PM.
Old 11-03-2018, 01:31 PM
Silver78

TPC Rating: 
100% (10)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wproct View Post
It's probably a little early to be making this determination, need a little time for the MKIV to get in the hands of a lot of shooters and get a track record on them. The ease of takedown on the MKIV is obviously an advantage, and it also utilizes a completely different grip frame assembly made of either aluminum alloy or solid stainless steel versus the stamped steel grip frames on earlier models. The MKIV will probably need the aid of some aftermarket components to get the optimum trigger pull set just like the earlier models, but, can a better pull be attained with the MKIV than the older models, or not? I'm afraid we just need a little more time.
When I first posted this thread I think the response to give the Mark IV more time was a fair assessment. Clearly we have seen some time pass. Updated thoughts on this topic are appreciated.
Old 11-03-2018, 03:17 PM
Test_Engineer

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I would never sell my highly customized MKIII for any amount. For the right price, I would consider selling my mostly stock MKII (knowing I could buy another one). And I did sell my completely stock MKIV after 6 months.

The only Mark pistol I would buy knowing what I know now, is the MKII.

I know most people like their MKIVs, and I'm not saying that they're a bad gun. But I just couldn't warm up to the new design. I can still take down and put together my MKII and MKIII faster and easier than I can a MKIV. The aluminum frame of the blued models is WAAYYYY to light for me to shoot accurately. And I never have liked hex head screws on any gun.

Detail cleaning a MKIV is a major PIA. especially reassembling the 2 piece safety. And whoever thought that the protruding safety lever was better than the previously recessed safety button should be flogged.

I'm sure that if you want to spend enough money to get a stainless model and fix the trigger and mag disconnect issues, you can have a descent gun. But I think the MKII is already a descent gun right out of the box, and for a lot less $$. YMMV
Old 11-03-2018, 03:40 PM
Bill T

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Test_Engineer View Post
And I never have liked hex head screws on any gun. Detail cleaning a MKIV is a major PIA.
Old 11-03-2018, 06:18 PM
wproct

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I just want to echo Test_Engineer's comments. It's like he read my mind when he typed his response.
Old 11-03-2018, 09:03 PM
C6Vern

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I agree as well after acquiring a Mk II Government Target. It's the best.
I personally put my stainless Mk III's slightly ahead of my Mk IV's as well.

On a Mk III, I replace the loaded indicator with a plate, I replace the sear and the bushing. Those are my upgrades for less than $70. I much prefer the earlier stainless finish to the current stainless "paint" finish on the Mk IV.

On a MK IV, I install the VQ trigger kit $120 plus the Firing pin/Extractor kit $30 at a minimum. The Mk IV has a history of breaking the double hole firing pin; so I always swap that out immediately. Ignore this issue and it takes out your barrel when it eventually fails.

Issues they have mostly fixed on the Mk IV ... loose front sights, takedown button pin walking out, loose fit at pivot pin where the frame joins the barrel.

Being a lefty, I do like the Mk IV safety. I love my VQ LLV-4 upper so I will have a Mk IV for a while. The takedown speed is not important to me because I never had an issue with the earlier design; although I know people who replaced all their collection with Mk IV's because of this.
Old 11-03-2018, 11:26 PM
Flash_80

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Test_Engineer View Post
I can still take down and put together my MKII and MKIII faster and easier than I can a MKIV.
I'm down with most of the things you put on here, but this one here I'd like to see anyone do. I can push that button a lot faster than I can get that mainspring out, and I can get that mainspring out pretty dang quick.
Old 11-04-2018, 12:26 AM
AL308

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I have 22 Ruger 22 pistols. From a first year Mk 1 and mk1 target pistol to a ss mk4 hunter. I prefer the Mk2. Itís not that hard to assemble. It is one solid piece when assembled. My Mk4 upper is loose on the lower. Just like an ar15, thatís why they sell accuwedges. I like the workmanship better also. If I only had to keep one. It would be a ss mk2 target model.