Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 04-17-2017, 11:10 AM
goldenpony
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thumbs up My Ruger Mark IV

No experience with either a MK1 or a MKIII. I owned a MKII for over 20 years and loved it, except when it came to cleaning time-then I hated it.
When I got a new MKIV for Christmas, it was love at first sight. I didn't see any need to have 2 simi auto .22 pistols so I sold the MKII. I got better than twice what I paid for the MKII new. If I had it to do over I would probably have kept both, although the MKIV is the best thing since sliced bread.
I have done a bit of tweaking to the IV, an Eagles talon extractor, walnut grips from Eagle Grips, Halo charging ring, HiViz front sight and a "V" notch rear sight and last but not least, the Volquartsen Accurizing kit which gave my gun a crisp 2.5 lb. trigger.
My Mark IV is far and away my favorite pistol.
Old 04-19-2017, 09:23 AM
upnorth73

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I'm a very happy owner of a pair of Mk2's and a pair of Mk3's and honestly I love them all.
The Mk2's are my first pistol and a 10 inch that I had to have. Both are unmoddified. My Mk3's are both modified. One is a hunter with all the normal mods and the other has a tacsol upper. These are the guns I shoot week in and out and are both very reliable and accurate so I don't see the need to replace either. The take down and reassembly isn't something that scares me in any way, but then I've always been one for tinkering.
I think I'll buy a Mk4 somewhere in the future, but honestly only to have one. I don't see the quick take down as a big selling point for myself, but can understand why it is for some.
Old 04-22-2017, 02:07 PM
Faulkner
Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I own a 22/45 MKII, a 22/45 MKIII LITE, and a new 22/45 MKIV LITE. I like the MKIV's ease of disassembly/reassembly, but I never found the MKII or even the MKIII all that challenging. I've only run a couple of boxes of ammo through the MKIV but I think I'm liking the control levers over the buttons, but otherwise I'm not seeing a significant advantage of the MKIV.

I suppose what the strong sales with the S&W .22 Victory and MKIV is proving is that there are lot more mechanically challenged people in the market these days.

Old 04-22-2017, 03:30 PM
SGW Gunsmith

TPC Rating: 
100% (14)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Faulkner View Post
I own a 22/45 MKII, a 22/45 MKIII LITE, and a new 22/45 MKIV LITE. I like the MKIV's ease of disassembly/reassembly, but I never found the MKII or even the MKIII all that challenging. I've only run a couple of boxes of ammo through the MKIV but I think I'm liking the control levers over the buttons, but otherwise I'm not seeing a significant advantage of the MKIV.

I suppose what the strong sales with the S&W .22 Victory and MKIV is proving is that there are lot more mechanically challenged people in the market these days.
Very apropos choice & use of PC ( & RFC ) required terminology. Lots and lots of tender toes these days.
Old 04-22-2017, 05:10 PM
dbmjr1
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
My take on the matter.

I own a Mk I Target, blued. A MkIV Target, Stainless. I sold my Mk III Standard, blued after purchasing my Mk IV.

My Mk I breaks down and reassembles with little trouble. My Mk III literally required percussive force to get back together.
The Mk IV is super easy.

I had to replace the extractor on my Mk IV to increase reliability with a VQ replacement, but I had to do this on my Mk III and one of my 10/22's also. Ruger stamps this part, when it should be milled. Irks me, just a little bit, but it's an easy fix.

If I closed my eyes would I be able to tell the MK I from the MK IV in my hand? Aside from the controls Yes. The machined lower on the MK IV is superior to the stamped clamshell steel lower on the Mk I. The trigger on the MK I is bone stock, but has years of wear, making it nice. The trigger on the Mk IV is newer, and could benefit from some aftermarket parts, but isn't horrible.

I like the way the mags not only drop free, but are propelled out of the well on the Mk IV, a major improvement.

All in all, if I had to pick only one pistol, . . .

. . . , it'd be my Colt Woodsman Gen I MT.

The way JMB intended a nice pistol to be.

Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
Old 04-22-2017, 05:17 PM
k in AR
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I have both a Mark II "50 year centennial" 4 incher & a new Mark IV Hunter 5.5 Blued model. I wouldn't trade either one. Personally the take down on the Mark II isn't an issue for me but that Mark IV take down is really a nice option. The Mark II factory trigger is better... but that is probably because I have shot it a lot as I purchased it new in 2000. I like that the Mark IV is drilled & tapped and has a rail included which allows for red dot or other sights which I installed. but the CT Laser grips I put on the Mark II are really good as well. (Old eyes just don't focus on the sights & target at the same time) IMHO the bottom line is the Mark series is a personal "affair".
Old 04-24-2017, 07:25 PM
HarryTheCat
US Navy Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
It's interesting to see different opinions on the Mark IV trigger. I picked up my first Mark, a stainless Hunter, last November, and it's now the first gun I grab when I'm headed to the range for some fun, or just cutting into the ground squirrel population in the pastures. The trigger on mine is probably just a bit under 4 lbs., with a nice crisp break. I suppose that if I was just going to punch holes in paper with it I would opt for a lighter trigger, but for my purposes it's just fine. It shoots everything I've fed it so far without a single failure of any kind, and that one-button takedown is just frosting on the cake!

Count me as a Mark IV fanboy! My only dilemma now is deciding which one to get next!
Old 04-25-2017, 09:04 AM
SGW Gunsmith

TPC Rating: 
100% (14)
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryTheCat View Post
It's interesting to see different opinions on the Mark IV trigger. I picked up my first Mark, a stainless Hunter, last November, and it's now the first gun I grab when I'm headed to the range for some fun, or just cutting into the ground squirrel population in the pastures. The trigger on mine is probably just a bit under 4 lbs., with a nice crisp break. I suppose that if I was just going to punch holes in paper with it I would opt for a lighter trigger, but for my purposes it's just fine. It shoots everything I've fed it so far without a single failure of any kind, and that one-button takedown is just frosting on the cake!

Count me as a Mark IV fanboy! My only dilemma now is deciding which one to get next!
to RFC and the Ruger Mark IV forum. You're absolutely right about the myriad of opinions that can be read around these parts.
I've been very fortunate to have been able to work on all the Ruger Mark pistol variations over the years, and have seen the progression, and at one point, the regression, of these fine guns. The Ruger Mark IV is the culmination of ALL things good that makes this version a real winner.
Not all of these Ruger pistols need to be turned into a "match grade" competitor, but it's good to know that if an owner has the intestinal fortitude to want to learn his particular Ruger Mark pistol inside and out, there is a plethora of GREAT aftermarket parts available from Volquartsen and Clark Custom.
Old 04-25-2017, 10:53 AM
SGW Gunsmith

TPC Rating: 
100% (14)
Well, Clark Custom certainly DOES support the Ruger Mark II & III, don't they? And, they Make an optics base that will fit right onto the Ruger Mark IV receiver. Ruger doesn't provide one for the Ruger Mark IV.

Last edited by SGW Gunsmith; 04-25-2017 at 11:29 AM.
Old 04-28-2017, 08:49 AM
JEE

TPC Rating: 
100% (66)
Without sounding biased... MKII forever.
Old 04-28-2017, 08:52 AM
Sophia

That Evil Admin Lady
TPC Rating: 
100% (23)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JEE View Post
Without sounding biased...
Fail!
Old 04-28-2017, 08:57 AM
JEE

TPC Rating: 
100% (66)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sophia View Post
Fail!
An epic one at that!
Old 04-28-2017, 09:52 AM
amblerrl
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (125)
mark

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEE View Post
An epic one at that!
but you are 100% correct
Old 04-28-2017, 10:01 AM
SGW Gunsmith

TPC Rating: 
100% (14)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver78 View Post
When the Mark III was released I remember that a lot of Mark II owners still considered the Mark II to be a better design overall because some of the safety features that Ruger added to the Mark III were considered undesirable.

Now we have the Mark IV with it's easy disassembly design. A clear advantage. So what's the verdict? Is the Mark IV better than all prior versions?

Edited to add:
As someone who has owned more than a few guns over the years, I am a former Mark II owner. The Mark III never gave me any reason to consider it, but the Mark IV looks like a possible buy. Just want to get some input from the hive before putting up the dollars.
Better? I'd suggest that it's a more "convenient" model than the version in between the Mark II and IV, yet all three versions are good shooters.
Looking at the longevity involved with production, it shows that the Mark II enjoyed a 22 year run ( 1982 thru 2004 ) with the most variations of any of the Mark models, whereby the Ruger Mark III had a production run of only 12 years ( 2004 thru 2016 ) with not so many variations.
But, during that same period, the introduction of the 22/45 variants just may have cut into the sales of the Ruger Mark III's.

And, the question then arises: How long was the Ruger Mark IV conception in the design phases?
Old 04-28-2017, 03:10 PM
wproct

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SGW Gunsmith View Post
And, the question then arises: How long was the Ruger Mark IV conception in the design phases?
This is indeed a very good question. I'm sure that the introduction of the Smith & Wesson Victory hastened the process, but it certainly would be interesting to know when the MKIV project was initiated.