Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 12-16-2016, 07:45 AM
Sumshooter

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SGW Gunsmith View Post
Try thinking once. Modifying provides CHOICES
It also adds to the enjoyment of working on your own gun. Like hand fitting a mark 2 extended mag release to fit a ruger standard. Or stoning the original sears. Grinding the big lobe off the hammer so it doesn't drag across the sear after the trigger stop has been adjusted to stop after releasing the hammer. Drilling and tapping original triggers. Or, extending the tab on the disconnector that contacts the sear making it engage a lot sooner.
Old 12-16-2016, 10:52 AM
Test_Engineer

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sumshooter View Post
It also adds to the enjoyment of working on your own gun. Like hand fitting a mark 2 extended mag release to fit a ruger standard. Or stoning the original sears. Grinding the big lobe off the hammer so it doesn't drag across the sear after the trigger stop has been adjusted to stop after releasing the hammer. Drilling and tapping original triggers. Or, extending the tab on the disconnector that contacts the sear making it engage a lot sooner.
This mod has benefits in reducing FTFires and FTEs in any Mark pistol. And one of the side effects is that the safety can be engaged when the gun is not cocked. This isn't especially useful in most of the pistol models, but it's WONDERFUL in the MKIII models. This gives a purpose to the keyed safety lock. You can engage the lock with the pistol uncocked and it locks the bolt closed, making it secure!

That said, I've never seen any real benefit to ever making the safety impossible to engage.

The security devices Ruger includes with your purchase (even with the new MKIVs) are worthless IMO. I won't store my pistols cocked, which they must be with the Ruger security devices. They don't seem to realize this, if you read the instruction manuals.
Old 12-16-2016, 09:04 PM
juleslewis

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Just finished installing my VQ MK IV trigger kit. Took me nearly 3 hours. Got 72 year old eyes and hands. It's been years since I've done one of these, so I went slowly, reading and re-reading the instructions. Lots of fumbling around getting the sear spring and sear on the pin and installing the hammer and safety. Could have used a third hand. I'm sure that the experts on this forum will do it in half the time. My trigger pull gauge says 2.5 lbs. I'll be at the range in the morning when it opens.

Old 12-16-2016, 10:07 PM
22/45 Fan
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by juleslewis View Post
Just finished installing my VQ MK IV trigger kit. Took me nearly 3 hours. Got 72 year old eyes and hands. It's been years since I've done one of these, so I went slowly, reading and re-reading the instructions. Lots of fumbling around getting the sear spring and sear on the pin and installing the hammer and safety. Could have used a third hand. I'm sure that the experts on this forum will do it in half the time. My trigger pull gauge says 2.5 lbs. I'll be at the range in the morning when it opens.
I could have written the exact same thing except I'm 74 and it took about 2 hours.

Before the kit arrived, I had watched every Youtube video on the MkIV and the Volquartsen kit and had my iPad with VQ's web site instructions on my work bench while doing the installation.

I had very little trouble getting the sear and sear spring and the trigger installed but the hammer/safety/ disconnector/safety shaft assembly did require several tries and the use of a slave pin to get it aligned.

The trigger adjusting screws were fairly easy to set and the trigger pull is now just over 2 pounds and crisp. The original pull was 5-1/2 pounds with a lot of creep so this is a major improvement.

I probably won't get to shoot the gun for a few days as we are expecting a a snow and ice storm but the gun was 100% reliable before and should be now only better.
Old 12-18-2016, 10:43 AM
gnystrom
US Army NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Does the new MK IV VQ kit allow you to remove the Mag disconnect as well as improve the trigger?
Old 12-18-2016, 12:24 PM
bulkhead1

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Yes, it does on both counts.
Old 12-18-2016, 08:24 PM
Dooley

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Ordered the accurizing kit along with the extended bolt release for my Hunter

Last edited by Dooley; 12-18-2016 at 09:34 PM.
Old 12-19-2016, 05:44 AM
donnieboy
US Navy Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Installed Volquartsen's MK4 accurizing kit in a Ruger MK4 stainless target yesterday and it went in perfectly. Trigger is now as good as it gets in a Ruger MK pistol. Another unexpected benefit was an improvement in the more positive function of the safety lever as it hooks over and releases from the sear. And yes the kit eliminates the Mag. disconnect lever. Plan on ordering another kit for my blue MK4 target.
Old 12-19-2016, 07:18 AM
flphotog
US Navy Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
My Volquartsen kit arrived last Friday, Mark IV is due to arrive today if USPS doesn't loose it, it's taken them over a week to get it here (FL) from KY even though according to their website it should take 2 days.
Old 12-19-2016, 10:27 AM
22/45 Fan

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gnystrom View Post
Does the new MK IV VQ kit allow you to remove the Mag disconnect as well as improve the trigger?
It not only allows removing the mag disconnect, it requires it as the new hammer has no place to put it. As far as I can tell, the new MkIV Volquartsen kit is the same as the old MkII kit with a modified trigger to fit the frame properly.
Old 12-19-2016, 10:34 AM
rws53

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gnystrom View Post
to further expand on 22/45's response...a post by Volquartsen earlier in this thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by volquartsen View Post
The parts do look very much the same but both the trigger and sear are different. We do not recommend trying to use a MKII Trigger or MKII Sear in the MK IV though.
Old 12-22-2016, 02:53 PM
Dooley

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Just finished installing the kit in my MKIV. Trigger feels very good. Can't wait to go to the range.
Old 12-24-2016, 06:00 PM
22/45 Fan

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dooley View Post
Just finished installing the kit in my MKIV. Trigger feels very good. Can't wait to go to the range.
Went to the range with my Mk IV with the Volquartsen kit installed and it worked perfectly. The trigger pull went from a creepy 5.5 pounds to a clean crisp 2.25 pounds and the "practical" accuracy is much better as the gun is much easier to shoot well.
Old 12-24-2016, 07:02 PM
MrRB

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Volquartsen & Tandemkross

Took me about a little over an hour to install the volquartsen kit. I ended up taping the sear pin so it wouldn't fall out. I did replace the Volquartsen trigger with the new tandemkross. I do like how the new tandemkross trigger overtravel screw has a nylon end so it doesn't mar the frame. I've only dry fired it, and it feels nice and crisp. Have to wait till Monday to try it out. Now I only have to find some panel grips.

Last edited by MrRB; 12-28-2016 at 10:49 PM. Reason: edited image size
Old 02-22-2017, 08:15 PM
valor1

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Does volquartsen have a video on how to install instead of reading this link:

https://www.volquartsen.com/howto/in...accurizing_kit

Hoping tandemkross sells them so we can have an installation video.