Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 12-13-2016, 12:39 PM
22/45 Fan
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rws53 View Post
Got a tracking number for my VQ trigger kit...will have it on Thursday.
So did I. Those people are fast! They also responded very promptly to my e-mail concerning a couple of items on their installation sheet download.
Old 12-13-2016, 01:48 PM
Test_Engineer

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Okay. I'll buy that the new trigger has been slightly modified. But why are they using the same old sear? Ruger went to a lot of trouble to redesign the sear for the MKIV. Why they did, IME, is to prevent it from flipping to the rear of the pistol during assembly. With the older frames, you could easily reach in through the back to flip it forward again. Not so with the MKIV frame.
Old 12-13-2016, 03:18 PM
flphotog
US Navy Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Got a tracking number for my VQ trigger kit...will have it on Thursday.
You beat me by a day, mine will be here Fri, but that's ok I won't have the gun till next week

Old 12-13-2016, 03:37 PM
rws53

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Test_Engineer View Post
Okay. I'll buy that the new trigger has been slightly modified. But why are they using the same old sear? Ruger went to a lot of trouble to redesign the sear for the MKIV. Why they did, IME, is to prevent it from flipping to the rear of the pistol during assembly. With the older frames, you could easily reach in through the back to flip it forward again. Not so with the MKIV frame.
I'm not sure what you mean by falling to the rear during assembly. The sear will lay against the mainspring housing with slight spring tension and it won't fall forward because the short arm of the spring is in front. It's easily accessible to push the sear forward to be caught by the safety which will hold it in place while you drop the hammer and bushing assembly in.

first picture is from VQ install guide

picture of Ruger's sear positioned the same way

Last edited by rws53; 12-13-2016 at 03:49 PM.
Old 12-14-2016, 02:02 PM
Test_Engineer

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
I'm not sure what you mean by falling to the rear during assembly. The sear will lay against the mainspring housing with slight spring tension and it won't fall forward because the short arm of the spring is in front. It's easily accessible to push the sear forward to be caught by the safety which will hold it in place while you drop the hammer and bushing assembly in.
The spring would flip the sear to the rear in the older models because the MSH was not installed during installation of the sear. I see that's not a problem here.

I'm just trying to understand the redesign of the Ruger sear. Why does it have the "paddle" opposite to the "pan" side? What is it's function?

For example, say I want to reduce the MKIV pull weight without adding a target trigger or removing the mag disconnect. Can I just buy a Volquartsen sear and have everything work? I'm thinking probably not.
Old 12-14-2016, 04:13 PM
SGW Gunsmith

TPC Rating: 
100% (14)
Quote:
The spring would flip the sear to the rear in the older models because the MSH was not installed during installation of the sear. I see that's not a problem here.

I'm just trying to understand the redesign of the Ruger sear. Why does it have the "paddle" opposite to the "pan" side? What is it's function?

For example, say I want to reduce the MKIV pull weight without adding a target trigger or removing the mag disconnect. Can I just buy a Volquartsen sear and have everything work? I'm thinking probably not.
Where did you get the information you posted concerning the sear and the Mainspring Housing, that's highlighted above? The short leg of the sear spring has been rotating the sear to the rear since 1949, with or without, the Mainspring Housing assembly installed. Once the SAFETY is installed, then the SAFETY can be used to hold the sear FORWARD and in it's normal until the hammer is installed. As you interested folks can see by the pictures below, the mainspring housing assembly doesn't have a thing to do with the sear being rotated backward, the sear spring does.

Another "test" you could do when your Ruger Mark IV arrives. I'm still waiting for the Ruger Mark IV Hunter version. Ruger doesn't have any made up right now according to Ruger.com.

Last edited by SGW Gunsmith; 12-14-2016 at 04:17 PM.
Old 12-14-2016, 04:53 PM
volquartsen

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
The picture looks like it's the same old accurizing kit. I thought they would have to at least make a different looking sear. Do you think it's just an old photo?
The parts do look very much the same but both the trigger and sear are different. We do not recommend trying to use a MKII Trigger or MKII Sear in the MK IV though.
Old 12-14-2016, 04:55 PM
volquartsen

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
The sear is different as well. If you were to compare the two side by side you would notice a difference on those. I will try and get a photo up to illustrate the changes.
Old 12-14-2016, 07:22 PM
rws53

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:

Now I understand what your concern was. Glad the pictures helped.

As far as the "paddle" I don't know what its function is. It has a bevel that matches a bevel on the MSH and butts up against it upon pulling the trigger and dropping the hammer.

I don't know if the Mag disconnect will work with the VQ sear...I'll check it out when I get my kit tomorrow.

Last edited by rws53; 12-14-2016 at 07:28 PM.
Old 12-14-2016, 09:02 PM
22/45 Fan

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
I don't know if the Mag disconnect will work with the VQ sear...I'll check it out when I get my kit tomorrow.
I don't think the sear has any effect on the mag disconnect but the new Volquartsen MkIV hammer it too wide at the bushing area and won't allow fitting the mag disconnect. I consider this an advantage.

BTW, it's good to see the Volquartsen folks posting here. Thanks.
Old 12-14-2016, 09:52 PM
rws53

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 22/45 Fan View Post
I don't think the sear has any effect on the mag disconnect but the new Volquartsen MkIV hammer it too wide at the bushing area and won't allow fitting the mag disconnect. I consider this an advantage.

BTW, it's good to see the Volquartsen folks posting here. Thanks.

Test Engineer wrote:

I know the sear doesn't act on the mag disconnector, but the mag disconnector does act on the sear.

What I was responding to was TE wondering if just using the VQ sear alone with all the original Ruger MKIV parts (hammer, bushing, mag disconnector & spring) would work. What I plan to do is just install the VQ sear with the Ruger parts and see if the mag disconnector spring clears the VQ sear and if the mag disconnector will block the VQ sear when magazine is removed. Just a little test to prove or disprove the question highlighted in blue. After the test I'll install the complete VQ kit.

I hope this clears up my intentions.

Last edited by rws53; 12-15-2016 at 06:20 AM.
Old 12-15-2016, 10:37 AM
SGW Gunsmith

TPC Rating: 
100% (14)
Well, this is what he posted:

"The spring would flip the sear to the rear in the older models because the MSH was not installed during installation of the sear."

The pictures I posted prove that statement wrong. The sear spring flips the sear rearward with ALL the previous Ruger Mark versions. Maybe YOU'RE the one with a reading comprehension issue. Bad #2 on your part.

"the mainspring housing assembly doesn't have a thing to do with the sear being rotated backward[/B], the sear spring does."

OK, so now you finally understand how things work?

Last edited by SGW Gunsmith; 12-15-2016 at 10:45 AM.
Old 12-15-2016, 11:10 AM
Test_Engineer

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Hey RWS,

There's one more thing I'd like for you to try... will the Ruger sear work with the rest of the accurizing kit? I'm thinking it should.

I think I figured out the purposes of the "paddle" on the Ruger sear. I think it acts as a back-side mag guide during insertion, and as an unadjustable overtravel stop during firing.

Depending on how the mags insert with the VQ sear, I might be inclined to keep (and rework) the Ruger sear. It's good to see Ruger incorporated a lot of my "goofy" MKIII mods (contrary to some "ankle biter's" predictions).

----------------------------------------

SGW -

So exactly what's the difference between my "older models" and your "ALL the previous Ruger Mark versions"?

They read to be one and the same to me.

BTW - the Ruger MKIV is the current version.
Old 12-15-2016, 09:51 PM
rws53

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Hey RWS,

There's one more thing I'd like for you to try... will the Ruger sear work with the rest of the accurizing kit? I'm thinking it should.

I think I figured out the purposes of the "paddle" on the Ruger sear. I think it acts as a back-side mag guide during insertion, and as an unadjustable overtravel stop during firing.

Depending on how the mags insert with the VQ sear, I might be inclined to keep (and rework) the Ruger sear. It's good to see Ruger incorporated a lot of my "goofy" MKIII mods (contrary to some "ankle biter's" predictions).

----------------------------------------

SGW -

So exactly what's the difference between my "older models" and your "ALL the previous Ruger Mark versions"?

They read to be one and the same to me.

BTW - the Ruger MKIV is the current version.
VQ kit installed. TE please PM me your email address and I'll send you some results.

Last edited by rws53; 12-16-2016 at 08:33 AM.
Old 12-15-2016, 11:21 PM
bulkhead1

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Installed the new Volquartsen trigger kit in the MKIV tonight with a little help from the wife. I have never installed a trigger kit before but the Volquartsen online instructions were quite good and it went fairly smooth. Took about two hours.
It made a big difference.