Ruger Mark IV I am always one feature short - Page 3 - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.
Closed Thread

Old 09-29-2016, 06:19 PM
SGW Gunsmith
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (14)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincent View Post
Ruger is already selling their own suppressors do you really think it will be long before there will be several models threaded and capped by Ruger? This is just introduction of their two most popular models. The rest will be along in very short time I am certain.
Excellent point! Some folks are just overly anxious to be served, it seems. I also believe it will all happen in due time. After all, who even knew about the introduction of the Ruger Mark IV three months ago?
Old 09-29-2016, 06:24 PM
SGW Gunsmith

TPC Rating: 
100% (14)
Quote:
Originally Posted by IHMSA80x80 View Post
Yeah, a .22 is a real beast.

I wouldn't look twice at anything with a threaded barrel, but that is me. Have no use for them, no interest in them, don't care to go through all the waiting and hassles and expense of getting them. I guess ear protection is just too inconvenient. Apparently, all the tacticool folks have to have them, makes them think they are snipers.
Or, maybe they suffer from, "Short-barrel syndrome".
Old 09-29-2016, 07:56 PM
1917-1911M
US Army Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThunderStick View Post
I'll reserve full judgement until I have handled a IV
If you go in a shop, close your eyes and they hand you a MK IV....Hunter or Target....if you feel for the safety you will feel a lever...on both sides. If your thumb is long enough to reach the slide release..you will feel a MK II type larger bolt release. Other than that....you won't be able to tell MKIII or IV. M1911

Old 09-30-2016, 10:36 AM
Vincent

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SailDesign View Post
Which is all very well, Phil - but I am simply not bothered by not being allowed to have one. If I wish a quiet shoot, the 52B heavy-barrel with Eley yellow-box hardly makes a noise anyway.

I am saved the issue of cleaning it, also. Same would go for a comp (not that it would be needed on a 22 unless for tacticool decoration)

Just never was interested in something sticking out in front of the gun, except for the zombie-fighting bayonet on the SR22. That IS important.

Okay for rifle but what if you want a quiet pistol? Out of luck. I did MOST of my ground squirrel hunting in CA with a pistol. Most of my plinking in the Mojave Desert or the coastal mountain range or even the majestic Sierra Nevada Mountains was also done with pistols and much of that was either a Ruger MKII or a Contender with 22lr barrel. The Contender especially would have been so much more fun if quiet. In fact a certain percentage was shot with CB Longs just for that reason but that took some fun out too.

It is just a stupid MUFFLER. They watched too many gangster movies before they voted for that law and the funny part of that is when they showed the guy screwing that evil muffler on it was a centerfire REVOLVER which benefits very, very little from a suppressor!! By the way I am not kidding about the movies. They had a large impact on that vote and public view of suppressors and full auto for the following 80 YEARS!!

The thing I always find very funny is if you buy a lawn mower or weed wacker they are required BY LAW to have mufflers but they sure make it tough to put a muffler on a new pistol! I could not afford one any time soon anyway so for me it is hardly a thing that matters but it still bothers me that we are treated like criminals or terrorists. If Congress and or BATFE made it very easy to get a suppressor the cost would go down by at least half overnight and there is not reason a working 22lr suppressor could not be sold for $100.

The state I live in, TN, passed its OWN suppressor law We take the view that the BATFE and FBI are supposed to only become involved when an inter state crime has been committed and except for a couple crimes like Kid napping the FBI is held to that.

So our legislature passed a law legalizing any suppressor built in TN, Marked built in TN for use in TN and never taken out of TN it is legal and no state, county or city law enforcement officer can arrest you for it. Several other states have done the same and it has now become a states rights issue much bigger than a silly little suppressor law. A number of states are tired of Federal involvement of in state activities and suppressor law is the tip of a huge iceberg that is forming.

Of course BATFE fired off a statement (I do not believe it is an actual RULING yet but it may be by now) taking a very dim view of OUR LAW! My friends gun smithing shop could whip one out by the end of the day no problem with that.
The problem is WHO WANTS TO BE THE TEST CASE especially with a Supreme Court that may be in a state of flux. We have no idea what the Supreme Court may look like in ten years and sometimes it takes that long to work it's way through the lower courts.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SzOn6GqNFdk
Old 09-30-2016, 11:02 AM
SailDesign

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Okay for rifle but what if you want a quiet pistol?

<snip-de-dip!>
I'm a range rat - it isn't a problem...

Old 09-30-2016, 12:07 PM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChattanoogaPhil View Post
You began by saying "comparatively small reduction in sound. A .22 is not that loud!"

Most folks shoot suppressed Rugers with CCI Standard Velocity or some other subsonic equivalent. Out of a 5in barrel that'll deliver about 150db. Shorter barrels a bit higher. Supressed will bring that down to under 120db. The notion that's a small reduction is what I meant by ignorance.

Now you say you don't hear a lot of difference. Anyone who says they can't hear the difference either has severe hearing loss or limited experience to shooting only HV ammo through a pistol which keeps things fairly loud with a supersonic crack.
I was hearing the same gun (SR-22) with the same ammo, IIRC he said SV Eley, with and without a suppressor. The guy was trying to show me the difference. I didn't hear a worthwhile difference. Another time two guys had 22/45s, one with and one without a can. With and without my passive ear muffs made much more difference than the can did. FWIW, all of these guys were having some trouble with SV not cycling well.

If you can't take the noise, get some muffs. If they bother you, or look too un- "tacticool" get an air gun.

Here's an interesting chart of noise levels:

http://www.industrialnoisecontrol.co...e-examples.htm

Your suppressed 120dB compares to a chainsaw.......
Old 09-30-2016, 01:06 PM
NHcollector

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bearcatter View Post
I was hearing the same gun (SR-22) with the same ammo, IIRC he said SV Eley, with and without a suppressor. The guy was trying to show me the difference. I didn't hear a worthwhile difference. Another time two guys had 22/45s, one with and one without a can. With and without my passive ear muffs made much more difference than the can did. FWIW, all of these guys were having some trouble with SV not cycling well.

If you can't take the noise, get some muffs. If they bother you, or look too un- "tacticool" get an air gun.

Here's an interesting chart of noise levels:

http://www.industrialnoisecontrol.co...e-examples.htm

Your suppressed 120dB compares to a chainsaw.......
Except that I have fired a Mk III with suppresser, it was quiet enough to shoot comfortably without ear protection. Not all of us have a desert to shoot in, many of us have neighbors. In a pistol with a 4.5" barrel HV ammo will be subsonic and work well with a can. Go ahead and have your own opinion but don't try to force it on the rest of us.
Old 09-30-2016, 04:01 PM
ChattanoogaPhil

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bearcatter View Post

The Walther P22 would be the equivalent of the SR22. Anyone who says they don't hear much difference is deaf or being obtuse.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z3VITZ6-CcY

Here's a side by side comparison of two Rugers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nvi2wBcOzmo

Last edited by ChattanoogaPhil; 09-30-2016 at 04:08 PM.
Old 09-30-2016, 04:10 PM
TT92
US Navy Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member Appleseed Member Appleseed Rifleman

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Reckon I'll chime in, too.

I used to be in the "I don't need a suppressor" camp. Then I got some experience behind several belonging to friends. Oh my, oh my, what a difference they do make! Like someone else mentioned, the .22LR benefits the mostest, but even supersonic .223 and .308 become much more pleasant to shoot and less bothersome to others.

Last weekend I dove hunted with a suppressed Remington 870 12 gauge using a Silencerco Salvo suppressor. One of my daughters was with me, and she is very noise-sensitive. The suppressed shotgun made the whole father/daughter experience WAY more enjoyable for her. And therefore, it was also better for me. Can't put a price tag on that.

Back to rimfire...

My .22 can (Tacsol Axiom) is one of the nicest little pieces of gear I own, and makes rimfire an even bigger pile o'fun. I have been hesitant to buy a 22/45, for no real good reason except I am not sure I really like them that much. When Ruger releases a threaded MKIV, I will very likely buy one.
Old 09-30-2016, 04:24 PM
Vincent

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHcollector View Post
Except that I have fired a Mk III with suppresser, it was quiet enough to shoot comfortably without ear protection. Not all of us have a desert to shoot in, many of us have neighbors. In a pistol with a 4.5" barrel HV ammo will be subsonic and work well with a can. Go ahead and have your own opinion but don't try to force it on the rest of us.
I have shot a MKII KMK678GC just like mine the noisiest thing was the bolt! Ammo makes difference but in a pistol they should all be subsonic. The gentleman and club member unscrewed it and 10 seconds later I was shooting an even quieter 10/22.

I had never even seen a suppressor except in a museum and I was REALLY impressed. Remember the type of suppressor can make a very big difference.

If you do not want one on you pistol or rifle that is fine. It is also fine for another RFC member to want one on his right?. Nobody tried to force anything on anyone. The OP expressed his wish. RUGER IS GOING TO MAKE THEM BOTH WAYS SO BUY THE ONE YOU WANT!

Why does this have to be any kind of argument?

Personally it seems to me that people are now arguing just to argue. Not me I am done! Have good fun!

We might as well argue about if it better to pick your nose with with index finger or pinky!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SzOn6GqNFdk
Old 09-30-2016, 04:59 PM
Donut77donut

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
I have shot a MKII KMK678GC just like mine the noisiest thing was the bolt! Ammo makes difference but in a pistol they should all be subsonic. The gentleman and club member unscrewed it and 10 seconds later I was shooting an even quieter 10/22.

I had never even seen a suppressor except in a museum and I was REALLY impressed. Remember the type of suppressor can make a very big difference.

If you do not want one on you pistol or rifle that is fine. It is also fine for another RFC member to want one on his right?. Nobody tried to force anything on anyone. The OP expressed his wish. RUGER IS GOING TO MAKE THEM BOTH WAYS SO BUY THE ONE YOU WANT!

Why does this have to be any kind of argument?

Personally it seems to me that people are now arguing just to argue. Not me I am done! Have good fun!

We might as well argue about if it better to pick your nose with with index finger or pinky!

The pinky is more refined and classy!
Old 09-30-2016, 05:33 PM
Brent

TPC Rating: 
100% (16)
Let's see what hickok45 thinks about a suppressor.

Brent
Old 09-30-2016, 05:45 PM
gmd1950
US Air Force Veteran Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (27)
While I've not spent the money to get a Suppressor, I have a neighbor who is a Class III dealer and have shot many of his firearms with them, they're a blast but I'm not willing to wait on the Tax Stamp so I do with out.
Old 09-30-2016, 06:23 PM
Donut77donut

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Duplicate

Last edited by Donut77donut; 09-30-2016 at 06:26 PM. Reason: Duplicate
Old 09-30-2016, 06:25 PM
Donut77donut

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmd1950 View Post
While I've not spent the money to get a Suppressor, I have a neighbor who is a Class III dealer and have shot many of his firearms with them, they're a blast but I'm not willing to wait on the Tax Stamp so I do with out.
Times are long now because of 41f, but my form 4 only took two months less than two years ago. I probably won't see my pending form 4 for a year though.

Still imo worth the wait and way quieter! Ymmv
Closed Thread