Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 10-07-2016, 06:48 PM
dbmjr1
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cznut View Post
I looked at one of the Ruger MKIV today and the first thing I noticed was the loose receiver to frame fit I personally don't care for the looseness hopefully they can get it corrected I will say it's a sharp looking handgun though
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent View Post
Wow! Doesn't sound like my MKIV. Mine is not loose at all. Which model MKIV was it?

Brent
I'm with Brent. Mine is tight.

Plenty accurate. Ten rounds at 25 yards in my , less than steady, hands.

Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
Old 10-07-2016, 07:06 PM
fourbore
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
I looked at one of the Ruger MKIV today and the first thing I noticed was the loose receiver to frame fit I personally don't care for the looseness hopefully they can get it corrected I will say it's a sharp looking handgun though
I handled one and it was tight. Not any perceivable wiggle. I gave it a good back and forth. I thought the underlug design would prevent any wiggle. By design, when new and right. As other said it is like a break open shot gun. The photo above shows the two pins but the locking underlug is barely visible in the pictures. I hope this is going to be ok.

I think, then, if there is any doubt at all, a person can purchase from an LGS and give up the few pennies saved online.
Old 10-07-2016, 07:13 PM
Brent

TPC Rating: 
100% (16)

Brent

Last edited by Brent; 07-03-2017 at 03:06 AM.

Old 10-07-2016, 07:37 PM
fourbore

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
There you go! I saw that in one of the other 18 threads. Nice pic.
Old 10-08-2016, 07:31 AM
cznut

TPC Rating: 
100% (102)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fourbore View Post
I handled one and it was tight. Not any perceivable wiggle. I gave it a good back and forth. I thought the underlug design would prevent any wiggle. By design, when new and right. As other said it is like a break open shot gun. The photo above shows the two pins but the locking underlug is barely visible in the pictures. I hope this is going to be ok.

I think, then, if there is any doubt at all, a person can purchase from an LGS and give up the few pennies saved online.
I tried it with a side to side rocking movement, was very noticeable, I would not purchase one unless the fit was tight. Does anyone remember all the posts about the earlier MK's that had became loose and folks were asking how to tighten them? Maybe something was loose that could be easily repaired ,maybe not in any event Ruger needs to address this as I have read elsewhere about this same issue.
Old 10-08-2016, 03:59 PM
SGW Gunsmith

TPC Rating: 
100% (14)
Quote:
I tried it with a side to side rocking movement, was very noticeable, I would not purchase one unless the fit was tight. Does anyone remember all the posts about the earlier MK's that had became loose and folks were asking how to tighten them? Maybe something was loose that could be easily repaired ,maybe not in any event Ruger needs to address this as I have read elsewhere about this same issue.
I certainly remember SOME posts concerning the developing looseness of the upper to lower assembly in the pre-Mark IV pistols, and I've also posted a remedy to help prevent that looseness from developing. I don't recall the looseness issue getting to the "pandemic" phase though.
The loosening up of the upper to the lower is primarily an "owner" inflicted cause, done by rubbing the raw metal of the upper onto the lower during dis and then re assembly, and not using some form of anti-seize compound, or at the very least, a good grease.

In any event, the looseness between the upper and the lower on the earlier Ruger Mark pistols can be corrected quite easily, but it seems the posts instructing how that's done, are over-looked by some.