Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 09-14-2012, 12:29 AM
Bob4BVM
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
bench and offhand matches for 82G ?

I have a couple 82g's , One scoped, one with the oem peeps.
Have not competed here (or anywhere), but am following the matches sections and trying to figure it all out- what i can compete in with these guns rule-wise.

Would like to do both bench and offhand with each of these guns if i can figure it all out. Can someone let me know if there are bench & offhand matches suitable for the 82g, assuming of course separate matches for scoped and peeps ?

Assuming there might be 25, 50 & 100 yd matches for scopes.

For offhand, (with peeps & scope), i am finally able to keep most of my shots in the black on an A23 size target at 25 yds. Not sure i am ready for a 50 yd offfhand yet !

Thanks in advance,
Bob
Old 09-15-2012, 07:20 AM
cowboy4

TPC Rating: 
100% (6)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob4BVM View Post
....Can someone let me know if there are bench & offhand matches suitable for the 82g, assuming of course separate matches for scoped and peeps ?

Thanks in advance,
Bob
If I understand your question correctly, there are a variety of matches at the club level in most areas. Go to:
http://www.nxtbook.com/nxtbooks/nra/ssusa_201209/#/34
for events that are advertised across the country.

If you mean a combo match that has two stages (one from the bench and one offhand), I'm afraid I can't help you. Perhaps someone else can.

If you mean online matches then there are a couple of ongoing offhand matches (one in this forum and one in bolt action superstock). And of course RFC has a large number of bench based matches.
Old 09-15-2012, 01:01 PM
Bob4BVM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboy4 View Post
If I understand your question correctly, there are a variety of matches at the club level in most areas. Go to:
http://www.nxtbook.com/nxtbooks/nra/ssusa_201209/#/34
for events that are advertised across the country.

If you mean a combo match that has two stages (one from the bench and one offhand), I'm afraid I can't help you. Perhaps someone else can.

If you mean online matches then there are a couple of ongoing offhand matches (one in this forum and one in bolt action superstock). And of course RFC has a large number of bench based matches.
Thank you Cowboy,
No, I do not mean a combo match. Guess i could simplify my question by saying that i don't see anything much at all here on the forum for OFFHAND. Either with irons or scope. It all seems to be Benchrest.

So if you could point me to any RFC Online Offhand matches, that would be great. I see lots of Benchrest matches here in this forum where i think i could use the 82G.

Thanks,
Bob

Old 09-16-2012, 08:49 AM
cowboy4

TPC Rating: 
100% (6)
Talking

Quote:
...... Guess i could simplify my question by saying that i don't see anything much at all here on the forum for OFFHAND.

So if you could point me to any RFC Online Offhand matches, that would be great.
https://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums...d.php?t=463880

https://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums...d.php?t=231987

These are the two I participate in. The silhouette match can be shot with paper or steel targets, and the SuperStock Offhand Challenge is a personal favorite of mine.
If you're looking for something on A-17 type targets there used to be a match run over on the:
https://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums...splay.php?f=71
....that had prone and offhand categories as well as 3-P scoring. I haven't seen any postings there for a while though.
This forum is a great place to start a thread of your targets and with just a little encouragement, others of a like mind will usually play along.
I want to caution you though. Offhand shooting is a challenge that a much smaller number of us are willing to do. Don't be surprised if participants aren't a bunch of silhouette shooters (like me ) and that some may "play once and not come back" because of the physical difficulty.

What are your ideas? Can the existing matches suit your needs? Or are you looking for something else?
Old 09-26-2012, 02:09 PM
Bob4BVM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboy4 View Post
https://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums...d.php?t=463880

https://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums...d.php?t=231987

These are the two I participate in. The silhouette match can be shot with paper or steel targets, and the SuperStock Offhand Challenge is a personal favorite of mine.
If you're looking for something on A-17 type targets there used to be a match run over on the:
https://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums...splay.php?f=71
....that had prone and offhand categories as well as 3-P scoring. I haven't seen any postings there for a while though.
This forum is a great place to start a thread of your targets and with just a little encouragement, others of a like mind will usually play along.
I want to caution you though. Offhand shooting is a challenge that a much smaller number of us are willing to do. Don't be surprised if participants aren't a bunch of silhouette shooters (like me ) and that some may "play once and not come back" because of the physical difficulty.

What are your ideas? Can the existing matches suit your needs? Or are you looking for something else?
cowboy4,
Sorry, did not see you reply til just now.
Good to see you have something going for offhand. These existing matches are interesting, but i was hoping for something for score, instead of smallest group.
What i had in mind was just scoring 5 of a standars A23-size tgts, and offering our scores. Really see no need for gun limitations as the offhand is more about the shooter than the gun. Guess we could do a class for scope & irons maybe.

Here's what i was thinking-

Unsupported standing offhand. (I like your exceptions you list in your existing offhand small-group contests, for any disabled folks who want to shoot, could use same to include them here)
Any rifle, any ammo.
A9 / A23 Target
25 Yards (want to make it encouraging to keep people at the offhand thing. At least for me 50Yds is BRUTAL ! )
10 shots per target,
5 thru 10 rings count,
center X's settle any tie scores,
anything outside the 5-ring is a zero.
Shoot 5 targets and add 'em up. High total wins.
Perfect score would be 250-50X

Any target version using the A9 /A23 bull dimensions is ok.
Here is one i made up so that i could squeeze two A23 bulls on a single sheet of 8.5x11 printer paper . So it is cheap and always available:
The std NRA A23 dimensions are listed on this too. My peep sight tgt of choice these days...
I could email the file to anyone.

Last edited by Bob4BVM; 09-26-2012 at 02:53 PM.
Old 09-26-2012, 08:16 PM
cowboy4

TPC Rating: 
100% (6)
Quote:
Good to see you have something going for offhand. These existing matches are interesting, but i was hoping for something for score, instead of smallest group....
The small group competitions were put in place by another forum member, a silhouette shooter. The group size match you refer to is actually a competitive outlet version of a "hold" drill. The idea being that if you can keep your shots in the circle, then a 77 meter turkey is easily knocked over.

Quote:
What i had in mind was just scoring 5 of a standars A23-size tgts, and offering our scores. Really see no need for gun limitations as the offhand is more about the shooter than the gun. Guess we could do a class for scope & irons maybe.

Here's what i was thinking-

Unsupported standing offhand. (I like your exceptions you list in your existing offhand small-group contests, for any disabled folks who want to shoot, could use same to include them here)
Any rifle, any ammo.
A9 / A23 Target
25 Yards (want to make it encouraging to keep people at the offhand thing. At least for me 50Yds is BRUTAL ! )
10 shots per target,
5 thru 10 rings count,
center X's settle any tie scores,
anything outside the 5-ring is a zero.
Shoot 5 targets and add 'em up. High total wins.
Perfect score would be 250-50X
Sounds good to me. Looks like a variation on the current ISSF theme of offhand match competition. A regular (23's Dad) had a category for this in the match he ran on the 3-Position CMP forum. That thread has seemingly lost its following.

Go for it. Start the ball rolling by starting a thread. Post up your rules and S.O.P. If enough people want to play monthly (or weekly or whenever) then you can make adaptations as the game develops.

Last edited by cowboy4; 09-26-2012 at 08:19 PM.
Old 09-26-2012, 11:19 PM
Bob4BVM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
OK I will.
Is it ok to re-use the wording about exceptions for disabled shooters i saw in the small-group offhand match ? Don't want to get anyone mad at me !
Old 09-27-2012, 10:51 AM
cowboy4

TPC Rating: 
100% (6)
Quote:
OK I will.
Is it ok to re-use the wording about exceptions for disabled shooters i saw in the small-group offhand match ? Don't want to get anyone mad at me !
It will be your thread. As long as you abide by the conditions of using RFC, I don't think anyone will get too bent out of shape. One thing to remember (if you're serious about this) is to keep your procedures flexible enough to allow adaptations and changes as new challenges arise.

I applaud your intentions sir and will be awaiting the first post to get the ball rolling.
Old 09-28-2012, 06:52 PM
ice-wres3

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Bob, I would be interested in this set-up too!! Sounds like loads of fun!
Does unsupported mean no palm rest? I ask because that is a piece of equipment that I would use for off-hand with the Remmy 540x. (I know I can shoot without if that is one of the rules).
Old 10-20-2012, 10:49 PM
Bob4BVM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ice-wres3 View Post
Bob, I would be interested in this set-up too!! Sounds like loads of fun!
Does unsupported mean no palm rest? I ask because that is a piece of equipment that I would use for off-hand with the Remmy 540x. (I know I can shoot without if that is one of the rules).
Sorry, dont think i ever answered your question. Palm rests are fine, as are slings. Anything is ok as long as you are holding up the rifle yourself, from standing position.
Note that we have a class for irons & scopes. You can enter BOTH every month.
Already have you in my score chart, so come shoot with us !
So far Cowboy leads for Oct. ... i think he warned us

Bob
Old 10-30-2012, 09:39 PM
langenc
US Army Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I started w/ 82G. Actually I still shoot it at every Yooper shoot and several others do also.

Shoot the A23/5 target at 50 yards w/ the IRON sights. Scores can be posted in the 'matches' section below.

The one you have scoped can be shot off the bench. At the Chippewa County Shooting Assns range (Sault Sainte Marie, MI)we shoot USBR at 25 and 50 yards. Scores can be posted as noted just above..

The triggers will be a little stiff for BR shooting on the 82Gs. They can be lightened to less than 1#.

They could be used for silhouettes also, off the bench. CCSA dose some of those style shoots. Those would be at 100 yrds and scoped for sure.

PM w/ questions. I usually respond pretty good.

Last edited by langenc; 10-30-2012 at 09:41 PM.
Old 11-03-2012, 12:28 PM
Bob4BVM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by langenc View Post
I started w/ 82G. Actually I still shoot it at every Yooper shoot and several others do also.

Shoot the A23/5 target at 50 yards w/ the IRON sights. Scores can be posted in the 'matches' section below.

The one you have scoped can be shot off the bench. At the Chippewa County Shooting Assns range (Sault Sainte Marie, MI)we shoot USBR at 25 and 50 yards. Scores can be posted as noted just above..

The triggers will be a little stiff for BR shooting on the 82Gs. They can be lightened to less than 1#.

They could be used for silhouettes also, off the bench. CCSA dose some of those style shoots. Those would be at 100 yrds and scoped for sure.

PM w/ questions. I usually respond pretty good.
Thanks, PM sent.