Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 06-20-2019, 08:14 AM
truckjohn

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Shooting through the hoard

Hey all,

My 22lr shooting plan for this year is to shoot through my hoard. Make a serious dent in the pile of old stuff. I already made a huge dent in the stack of orphan partial boxes... I was amazed at how many boxes I had with 10 or 20 rounds left for what ever reason...

Luckily I have the kids to help me shoot it up...

How about you?

It's time for it to go.... Let's have some fun and shoot up the pile of ammo you have accumulated over the last 10+ years.... Get some trigger time.... Who cares about what it might be worth - that money is already spent and ammo doesn't get any better with age....

I will get a pick up this evening.....

How about you?
Old 06-20-2019, 08:46 AM
OldWolf

TPC Rating: 
100% (23)
I have 6 bricks of 15+ year old Remington Thunderbolts that I can't make myself use.

Last edited by OldWolf; 06-20-2019 at 10:05 AM.
Old 06-20-2019, 09:13 AM
truckjohn

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Sounds like you need to take some Grand kids shooting.... Bust out a 3 or 4 10/22's and Marlin model 60's and go to town...

I just had to grit my teeth and finish a brick of Federal Auto Match turds.... They were particularly inconsistent in *everything* I shot them in....

The lube is flaking bad and I have to spray them with Pledge so they don't lead my barrels...

Lucky for me - I have 3 more bricks!!!

Last edited by truckjohn; 06-20-2019 at 09:16 AM.

Old 06-20-2019, 09:25 AM
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldWolf View Post
I have 6 bricks of 15+ year old Remington Thunderbolts that I can't make my self use.
If you got no shooting grand kids, or you just love them too much , or your guns too much, to shoot those, then call the local Boy Scout troop, Iím sure they would love to shoot them up at their next range day.

I bought a case of old S&B Rex SV during the ammo shortage. Circa 1991 vintage , dri lube, except in August. I have two guns that like them. A zastava cz99, and this one.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 925E3925-FB6E-4A8C-8797-16D922D2646F.jpg (480.3 KB, 21 views)
Old 06-20-2019, 09:47 AM
truckjohn

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
And.... You can write them off as a "Charitable contribution in-kind" if you donate them to a local Boy Scout troop. That may be the best of all worlds if you hate them...
Old 06-20-2019, 10:08 AM
OldWolf

TPC Rating: 
100% (23)
Quote:
Originally Posted by truckjohn View Post

The lube is flaking bad and I have to spray them with Pledge so they don't lead my barrels...
That's a good idea, I can re-lube them with my fresh batch of Stumpy's Moose Juice.
Old 06-20-2019, 10:20 AM
Al the Infidel
US Marines Disabled American Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
That's a good idea, I can re-lube them with my fresh batch of Stumpy's Moose Juice.
Or some of your old Prep-H you have hidden in the cabinet. Somebody was gonna say it sooner or later.
Old 06-20-2019, 10:53 AM

TPC Rating: 
100% (6)
Quote:
Originally Posted by truckjohn View Post
I already made a huge dent in the stack of orphan partial boxes...
Don't you need those for testing in your next rifle?
Old 06-20-2019, 03:32 PM
truckjohn

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
You know - that's why I was holding on to them... I kept telling myself I would save it to test out on other rifles...

In reality - nope.. It never worked out that way.. and most of the boxes were 10+ years old. I shot all of those little orphan partial boxes up over the last couple weeks... Good riddance.
Old 06-20-2019, 04:36 PM
glennasher
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
My orphans don't last past the next range trip. I find some way to use them up, except some Federal bulk, I've got about a box and a half of them, and cannot force myself to even try to shoot them in my rifles. I haven't been shooting my pistols enough to bother with them, either.

I might have to try lubing those Federals, if there's any lube or wax on them at all, there's no evidence of it.

I have been known to leave a partial box of bulk Federal on the bench when I leave, and let them become someone else's problem, but like Eastwood said in "Unforgiven", "I'm not like that any more".
Old 06-20-2019, 06:38 PM

TPC Rating: 
100% (6)
I've had too many experiences in putting aside ammunition that disappointed me in several rifles only to have it shine in another. The clutter of partial boxes is untidy, but if I don't have it, I can't test it.

Example: Maybe 30 years ago, I bought a case of Federal 711b. Over the course of a dozen rifle, it was always pretty poor. In my most recently purchased barrel, it shoots a half inch at 50. That won't impress some of you, but I often do worse.
Old 06-20-2019, 06:41 PM
IHMSA80x80
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
I have 6 bricks of 15+ year old Remington Thunderbolts that I can't make myself use.
You have my deepest sympathies.

≡✪≡
Old 06-20-2019, 07:06 PM
farscott

TPC Rating: 
100% (9)
I have a few bulk backs of Winchester Dyna-Points from the late 1990s. One year I bought several of them for my father as a Christmas gift, and he passed away before he could shoot them all. I ended up getting them back. I have two of the boxes that are still in the wrapping paper; I doubt I will ever shoot them.

Other than those, I am working my way through what I have. Of course, I am buying new ammo as the prices are very low; I just bought another case of Gaco "Bolt Rifle". I also added a brick of Gemtech Subsonic as it shoots very well in a few of my guns and works well on small game.
Old 06-21-2019, 10:56 AM
truckjohn

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by zukiphile View Post
I've had too many experiences in putting aside ammunition that disappointed me in several rifles only to have it shine in another. The clutter of partial boxes is untidy, but if I don't have it, I can't test it.

Example: Maybe 30 years ago, I bought a case of Federal 711b. Over the course of a dozen rifle, it was always pretty poor. In my most recently purchased barrel, it shoots a half inch at 50. That won't impress some of you, but I often do worse.
I am glad you found a use for it.

My problem is that I would try out some ammo out of the stash... It shoots well enough for further testing... And now the ammo is discontinued or is now a shadow of it's former self.... Or worse - it DOESN'T shoot well because it's old and degraded... I have some Eley Tennex from 2007... I remember it shot ridiculously well. Now - It seems to throw flyers and shoots progressively worse as the round count goes up.... I have to give them a shot of pledge to rejuvenate the old lube - then it settles down and shoots well enough - but not like fresh Tennex...

Another... My brother was crowing about how well Winchester T-22 shoots in his old Mossberg... I got him a couple boxes for Christmas and it turned out to be trash... Blown primers, poor accuracy, jamming up guns.... Turns out the "Good stuff" was over 20 years old and it's gone now. Winchester stopped importing the Aussie stuff - which was great stuff... And so that ship has sailed...

May as well shoot it up because you can't get anymore anyway....
Old 06-21-2019, 11:21 AM
US Army Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
My only .22 is a S&W Model 41, so I'm limited as to what she'll digest.
I have seven boxes of old Winchester Super X---white box red X---the good stuff but it doesn't work in the 41. Also two bricks of old Federals.
The new CA law makes selling or giving ammo away illegal, so...

....I'll just have to buy another .22!