Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 04-13-2019, 09:17 PM
cabin22
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
25% Fail to Fire rate using Aguila SV

I took my old RST, Mark II, and Mark IV Target pistols to the cabin today for a little informal target shooting across four types of ammo: CCI SV, Geco Rifle (bolt), Norma Tac 22, and Aguila SV. I did not bring enough ammo to shoot all four types in each pistol at both 7 and 10 yards, so the results were a bit mixed. All shooting was freehand at 7 and 10 yards, 10 round groups.

However, what was definitive was that I had 5 fail-to-fire rounds of Aguila ammo in my Mark IV out of 20 attempted. When reloaded, 4 of those 5 rounds fired on the second attempt. The last one finally fired on the third attempt. Sheesh. Firing pin indentations seemed shallow. I guess that's consistent with not firing, eh?

The Aguila fired fine in the Mark II, just not in the Mark IV. Puzzling.

And, for the record, the RST outshot both the Mark II and the Mark IV overall, although the Mark II did nip it shooting the Aguila at 10 yards.

Anybody else encounter this with the Aguila SV in their Mark IV pistols?
Old 04-13-2019, 10:38 PM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I have had some failure to fire the first time with some Aguila ammo. This is just a guess on my part but I think the brass rim is a little thicker or harder than some other brands. If you have any of the Aguila left and have a micrometer or digital calipers you could measure the thickness of the rim to see if it is any thicker than the other ammo that you were shooting.
Old 04-14-2019, 01:52 AM
Flash_80

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
I've gone through nearly 15,000 rds of Aguila SV the past year and a half. It all had very consistent primers. I think maybe like 9 bad primers out of that first 10,000. I ran into some fail to fire scenario's last year, but found out that was just the particular gun. It had issues with everything, and I finally found and fixed the problem. The issue I did have with the Aguila SV is that its kind of gummy, and it had a tendency to hang up in magazines, not feeding up quickly enough. I quit getting it and just got Blazers after that. Still wondering on the copper plated Aguila HV though, haven't tried it yet.

Old 04-14-2019, 03:46 AM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I did note when shooting aquila pistol target ammo it was a little less powerful than CCI std velcoity. This might make the ammo a good choice for older target pistols like Hi Standard or Colt. I have not observed any failure to fire on one brick consumed. I also shot a brick of target rifle with no ignition problems.

If I was getting fail to fire, I would be looking at my gun. Weak ignition is bad for accuracy and my solution would be to investigate the root cause. This might be consequence of a VQ reduced weight hammer or more poor Ruger design or bad QC. Addressing the latter situation, I would get a new firing pin. The Mk IV firing pin has a design weakness and seems prudent to replace for that other reason.

It would be interesting to compare agula and cci primer strikes on the two pistols. That is all 4 combinations. CCI with A and B, and Aguila with guns A & B.

A side note, in any Ruger MK, the CCI Std Velocity is my choice.

What is an RST?

Last edited by fourbore; 04-14-2019 at 03:51 AM.
Old 04-14-2019, 07:01 AM
Cardwiz

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I’ve had good experiences with two different kinds of Aguila ammo so far and no where near the FTF rates you’ve noted. My experience has it on par, or close, to CCI which is very good. The Super Extra is good stuff.

If you have that many FTF issues, you either have a bad batch of rimfire ammo (it happens with the best) or something is wrong with the firearm. (Firing pin/spring possibly.)

I feel the problem is your Mark IV. They are picky pistols stock and I feel Ruger could do a lot to make them less so. I have two and one has been a bit better out of the box, but the first one was terrible. After some work, the first one was much better.

May want to try a really good cleaning and oil up the bolt & firing pin well. I find they like to run a little better ‘wet’ which unfortunately helps them to get dirty quicker since it’s rimfire.

@Flash_80- Copper plated bullets will help with the MarkIV mags acting sticky, but the blued mags are terrible and often need polishing on the channel the button sits in to work decent. The stainless mags are better but still not as good as they could be with a little work.
Old 04-14-2019, 07:43 AM
cabin22

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I was surprised myself, since I don't recall any problems with the first 350 rounds out of the brick of Aguila SV, but I used it in several other guns too. But this was such an obvious anomaly I couldn't help but notice it. And I don't recall any previous problems with other types of ammo in this particular gun. This gun has no mods, except replacing the front sight.

I neglected to do an on-the-spot comparison between the firing pin marks on the Aguila and the firing pin marks on the other types of ammo that exhibited no problems; hindsight is perfect. Next time out, I'll do a more methodical ammo comparison between this Mark IV and the Mark II, and pay particular attention to the firing pin marks.

Fourbore - I was using RST to indicate a Ruger Standard Target pistol, which I think is what it was called prior to the Mark I designation. My particular gun is a 1950 model.

EDIT: After a bit of research, I suppose I should just call the 1950 gun a Standard model.

Last edited by cabin22; 04-14-2019 at 07:59 AM.
Old 04-14-2019, 07:50 AM
jon p
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
Talking try a TK titanium firing pin

I put one in both my MKIV stainless target and my 6" standard, excellent ignition and no chance of breakage like the factory"2 hole" pin. it is a great upgrade in my opinion, not expensive, and simple to replace.
Old 04-14-2019, 08:21 AM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jon p try a TK titanium firing pin View Post
I put one in both my MKIV stainless target and my 6" standard, excellent ignition and no chance of breakage like the factory"2 hole" pin. it is a great upgrade in my opinion, not expensive, and simple to replace.
Absolutely cannot hurt. I got mine from VQ. Not titanium. That sounds good, even if I dont know why. I am babbling. I posted again to say: until I replaced the Mk IV firing pin, I did not know how easy those went in. Do not hesistate thinking this is one more PIA operation to learn. One little spring to be careful with. Easy peasy. Cheap insurance. etc...

Last edited by fourbore; 04-14-2019 at 08:28 AM.
Old 04-14-2019, 11:03 AM
truckjohn

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
It's probably time to service your firing pin system.

I recently ran into a 22 that was having trouble with light strikes - ended up being a bunch of hard crusty muck in front of the firing pin and some sort of sticky, gummy old grease or oil all over the firing pin, spring, and inside the channel.
Old 04-14-2019, 12:49 PM
cabin22

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Having nothing better to do this morning, I pulled the bolt & checked the firing pin. Pretty clean actually, a little bit of powder residue on the bolt face but the pin, spring, etc. looked fine. However, I could not believe the amount of residue that came out of the receiver face surrounding the chamber, especially in the edge between the face and the round interior of the receiver housing. Wow. Fortunately I had two old dental picks I got from my dentist years ago - I figure I actually paid for them several times over - and those worked like a champ getting the crud out. Still, I was astonished at how much gets jammed in that part of the receiver. Can't hurt it to be clean.
Old 04-14-2019, 09:43 PM
Flash_80

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fourbore View Post
It would be interesting to compare agula and cci primer strikes on the two pistols.
?
Not directly comparable, but in the same ballpark for the ammo.

We shot my cousin's M&P 15-22 quite a bit today to test it out. This gun has been a light striking nightmare since he bought it. Replaced the firing pin, and it never did really run. He's had it nearly a year and a half, and finally sent back to S&W. All they did was replace the firing pin, but maybe they used a longer pin or something. Regardless, it was working actually for once, and it never did much before on the stock pin, or the factory replacement it got over a year ago.

That being said, the gun was already dirty, we were just running it to get it even dirtier and see if it started acting up. Had an array of crappy bulk Federal and even crappier M22 (which I now hold in the same esteem as Golden Turds). Among that, we ran 150rds each of CCI Blazer and Aguila SV. The Aguila along with some others did give us some light strikes. The CCI never did. Maybe the Aguila is a little harder and needs a little more of a pop to set it off. None of my other guns have had any issues with this same lot of Aguila, and the gun that did is of course a known light striking culprit.
Old 04-15-2019, 05:33 PM
Hoppes

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Be happy you where not surround by a clan of Sasquatch with those misfires
Old 04-16-2019, 12:24 PM
Piranha451
Fire Fighter NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I bought 2 boxes of Aquila .45 LC and had multiple misfires. I contacted them to inform them of the lot numbers in case they had some issue with it. I also told them that I tried ammo from other manufacturers afterwards with no misfires. When they finally responded to me, they informed me it was my firearm and not their ammo. Then and there I decided I would never purchase any of their products again.

Last edited by Piranha451; 04-16-2019 at 12:26 PM.
Old 04-16-2019, 05:46 PM
agksimon
National Guard Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I had a similar problem and installed a VQ firing pin. It's heavier and hits harder. Problem solved.
Old 04-16-2019, 10:29 PM
Cardwiz

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piranha451 View Post
I bought 2 boxes of Aquila .45 LC and had multiple misfires. I contacted them to inform them of the lot numbers in case they had some issue with it. I also told them that I tried ammo from other manufacturers afterwards with no misfires. When they finally responded to me, they informed me it was my firearm and not their ammo. Then and there I decided I would never purchase any of their products again.
So what was the “firearm”?