Rebuilding mark ll magazines - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 03-08-2019, 07:46 PM
41rem

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Arrow Rebuilding mark ll magazines

Have factory Mark ll clip that is giving me fits. Once out of every 5 it will jam the nose of the #8 bullet into the top of the chamber requiring me to clear it. Always its the #8 bullet.

I have 3 other magazines they work fine in this gun & my other 2 Mark ll pistols as well.

I contacted Ruger customer service this morning & they informed me that these Mark ll magazines were too old to service. I did ask for them to just send me a new spring and follower and I would rebuild it myself as I assumed they were still the same parts used in the Mark 3 and Mark 4 magazines but I guess not.

Where do l go from here for parts?

Old 03-08-2019, 07:54 PM
Empe
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (7)
I think most of those parts you need are still available from ShopRuger.com .
Old 03-08-2019, 08:26 PM
41rem

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Empe View Post
Right you are. Just ordered them up, thanks

Old 03-08-2019, 08:28 PM
edlmann
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Empe View Post
Not so much.

Ruger has been removing parts from the web site for a while now. They list a Mark II/Mark III follower, but it shows as out-of-stock. They do have magazine springs.

Brownells has no Ruger magazine parts in stock, but at least you can backorder from them.

Last edited by edlmann; 03-08-2019 at 08:34 PM.
Old 03-09-2019, 09:58 AM
Test_Engineer

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 41rem View Post
Have factory Mark ll clip that is giving me fits. Once out of every 5 it will jam the nose of the #8 bullet into the top of the chamber requiring me to clear it. Always its the #8 bullet.

I have 3 other magazines they work fine in this gun & my other 2 Mark ll pistols as well.

I contacted Ruger customer service this morning & they informed me that these Mark ll magazines were too old to service. I did ask for them to just send me a new spring and follower and I would rebuild it myself as I assumed they were still the same parts used in the Mark 3 and Mark 4 magazines but I guess not.

Where do l go from here for parts?

Hey 41,

I suspect it's round #9 that jams when you fire round #8. Replacing the internals of the mag probably won't help, and very possibly will make it happen every time.

This is a known problem with the design of the follower. It doesn't happen with every mag, or in every gun. But it has an easy fix. Read post #6 here:

https://www.rimfirecentral.com/forum...d.php?t=604880

It's helped a lot of people who've had your problem, and it's a standard mod I do to every mag I buy to prevent even the possibility of this jam.
Old 03-09-2019, 10:14 AM
bearcatter

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by edlmann View Post
Ruger has been removing parts from the web site for a while now.
Ruger has also removed part numbers from the owner's manuals, and a lot more parts are marked as factory only. On the LCRs, only the grip is available. They are obviously making almost everything factory only, listening to the lawyers.

I have every part of a Bearcat except the frame, barrel and cylinder. A lot of these parts are factory only now.
Old 03-09-2019, 10:31 AM
wproct

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Man, I wish I knew that Ruger was going to go this route. I would have ordered a hand full of parts long ago.
Old 03-09-2019, 11:50 AM
bearcatter

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I went overboard on the Bearcats, but I keep a parts stash for every gun I own. Anything that's likely to wear, break, get lost in carpet, or go airborne in disassembly.........

One thing I can't figure, there were a few Ruger parts I couldn't get from them, but Midway had them. IIRC, SP101 transfer bars and pawls; and a few others. Ruger wouldn't sell them to me, but they will sell them to Midway to sell to me.....
Old 03-09-2019, 09:11 PM
lightflyer1
US Army Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bearcatter View Post
I went overboard on the Bearcats, but I keep a parts stash for every gun I own. Anything that's likely to wear, break, get lost in carpet, or go airborne in disassembly.........

One thing I can't figure, there were a few Ruger parts I couldn't get from them, but Midway had them. IIRC, SP101 transfer bars and pawls; and a few others. Ruger wouldn't sell them to me, but they will sell them to Midway to sell to me.....
They have a rebuild service for $80. I sent mine in and they replaced everything with new, not that long ago. I wonder what they would do if you just sent in a stripped frame and barrel and 2 stripped magazines. $80 might be worth it to get a complete set of parts.
Old 03-10-2019, 10:33 PM
41rem

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Test_Engineer View Post
Hey 41,

I suspect it's round #9 that jams when you fire round #8. Replacing the internals of the mag probably won't help, and very possibly will make it happen every time.

This is a known problem with the design of the follower. It doesn't happen with every mag, or in every gun. But it has an easy fix. Read post #6 here:

It's helped a lot of people who've had your problem, and it's a standard mod I do to every mag I buy to prevent even the possibility of this jam.
You are correct, it's the second to last round that jams it's nose into the top of the chamber. So #9 everytime.

Old 03-11-2019, 12:08 AM
JStacy

TPC Rating: 
100% (29)
Check your mag dimensions for dents and such and get a new follower , smooth it up and your troubles should go away .
Old 04-15-2019, 03:42 AM
fatcat

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Besides ShopRuger.com, Numeric Arms and eBay have been my sources for Ruger .22 pistol parts. Ruger used to sell all the small pins, springs for $2. Now they’ve doubed it to $4.00. Highway robbery!!!
Old 04-15-2019, 06:55 PM
baytree
US Navy Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
does this magazine run properly in your other gun?? simple first step would be a good cleaning.. scrub the inside of the mag to remove olde build up of wax especially in cold weather. also make sure your mag follower is really smooth... no burrs... it should slide like its on ice in its track with no spring installed
Old 04-22-2019, 09:05 AM
bronicabill

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
<<snip>>

I had forgotten all about this mod until I had one of these jams at the range the other day, then came across this thread. Just pulled my mags and did the mod, so hopefully will no longer encounter that particular problem.

Thanks for posting it!
Old 04-22-2019, 11:52 AM
edlmann
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Post #6 in that thread