very disappointed in new standard MKIV 6" - Page 2 - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #16  
Old 10-23-2018, 04:59 PM
pistolboo's Avatar
pistolboo

Join Date: 
Sep 2016
Posts: 
186
TPC Rating: 
0% (0)


Log in to see fewer ads
Just got a new Standard same as yours jon p, will be test firing it on Saturday. Bit concerned now, the magazine problem sounds like yours, not the smoothest but the thing is I'm in Australia and this by law is my only gun...........
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 10-23-2018, 05:00 PM
Theo98's Avatar
Theo98
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

Join Date: 
Jul 2013
Location: 
S.E. La, USA
Posts: 
299
TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by jon p View Post
this is the FIRST ruger product I have ever had problems with.
Yep. 2 weeks ago, just thought I had a problem with my new\old MkII 6" SS Standard...ammo wouldn't load without jamming in the breach's feed ram! I also spoke to a very understanding and concerned Ruger CS rep. She suggested, and I agreed, to put some lead downrange before sending it in.

Turns out, it was that particular ammo it hated, as CCI 40gr Mini Mags Loaded and Shot PERFECTLY And Very ACCURATELY. At the range, the MkII still had some issues with the other ammo (Fiocchi 1250fps CPRN 40gr), so lesson learned...just Feed it and Shoot what it Loves!!

Needless to say Ruger was right...this old\new Standard is Staying in My Hands or by my side!!

Ted
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 10-23-2018, 07:24 PM
jon p
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

Join Date: 
Feb 2012
Location: 
winder, ga
Posts: 
7,443
TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
3 different ammo brands

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theo98 View Post
Yep. 2 weeks ago, just thought I had a problem with my new\old MkII 6" SS Standard...ammo wouldn't load without jamming in the breach's feed ram! I also spoke to a very understanding and concerned Ruger CS rep. She suggested, and I agreed, to put some lead downrange before sending it in.

Turns out, it was that particular ammo it hated, as CCI 40gr Mini Mags Loaded and Shot PERFECTLY And Very ACCURATELY. At the range, the MkII still had some issues with the other ammo (Fiocchi 1250fps CPRN 40gr), so lesson learned...just Feed it and Shoot what it Loves!!

Needless to say Ruger was right...this old\new Standard is Staying in My Hands or by my side!!

Ted
all the same results. cci m/mags, blazer and gecko semi auto.
Reply With Quote
 
  #19  
Old 10-23-2018, 07:30 PM
jon p
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

Join Date: 
Feb 2012
Location: 
winder, ga
Posts: 
7,443
TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
Thumbs up i hope yours is great

Quote:
Originally Posted by pistolboo View Post
Just got a new Standard same as yours jon p, will be test firing it on Saturday. Bit concerned now, the magazine problem sounds like yours, not the smoothest but the thing is I'm in Australia and this by law is my only gun...........
and you get some excellent groups, let me know how it shoots. the magazine roughness is a mystery too, there is something up in the butt , feels up near the top, that the mag is rubbing on. I also have a stainless MKIV target that the mags are smooth as glass on release and insertion. I hope ruger finds it. I love the way the mags shoot out the butt, not as nice on my standard MKIV.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 10-27-2018, 02:20 AM
pistolboo's Avatar
pistolboo

Join Date: 
Sep 2016
Posts: 
186
TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
It was a rapid fire day at the range so no chance to judge accuracy, with a strange gun I was flat out getting all the rounds away somewhere in the direction of the targets LOL. The magazine scratchy interference is around half way, holding the eject button in stops the interference so it should be pretty easy to fix.
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 10-28-2018, 09:59 AM
Test_Engineer

Join Date: 
Nov 2014
Location: 
On a Colorado glacier
Posts: 
1,784
TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jon p View Post
this is the FIRST ruger product I have ever had problems with.
You're typical, but lucky.

One (used) MKII, two (new) MKIIIs, and one (new) MKIV of mine all came with problems. All were Standard models.

The MKII was fairly easy to fix once I identified the sources of the problems.

The MKIV is a replacement for one of the MKIIIs Ruger destroyed because it was so bad. That one was actually the base of the second one with the upper of the first one. But neither (both NIB) were functional at all out of the box.

I'm tired of remanufacturing Mark pistols to get them up to my standards. The $$ spent on parts, machine shops, and gunsmiths should go to targets and ammo IMO. So the MKIV (at least functional, but dragging mags and other issues) went down the road ASAP.

I love the MKII and MKIII I still have, but I don't miss anything at all about the ones that are gone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pistolboo
The magazine scratchy interference is around half way, holding the eject button in stops the interference so it should be pretty easy to fix.
Some people have had problems with the release button being too far in, causing mags to fall out. That's an easy fix.

All of mine with push buttons have sat too far out causing dragging like yours, or outright blockage. The fix is not very easy. Reshaping (removing material) can help, or even fix it for some pistols. But even that wasn't enough for my MKIII. I finally made a tiny shim that fits below the retaining screw to hold the button further in. It works great, but it was a real pia to make. I don't plan to ever remove that screw again and risk losing the shim. (It's smaller than the tiny safety detent that's so easy to lose.)
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 10-28-2018, 12:04 PM
ammohog
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

Join Date: 
Jan 2009
Location: 
Texas
Posts: 
2,511
TPC Rating: 
100% (10)
Magazine Fix

https://www.rimfirecentral.com/forum...t=magazine+fix
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 10-28-2018, 02:10 PM
jon p
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

Join Date: 
Feb 2012
Location: 
winder, ga
Posts: 
7,443
TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
Wink ruger C/S will have my MKIV standard tomorrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by pistolboo View Post
It was a rapid fire day at the range so no chance to judge accuracy, with a strange gun I was flat out getting all the rounds away somewhere in the direction of the targets LOL. The magazine scratchy interference is around half way, holding the eject button in stops the interference so it should be pretty easy to fix.
so they can address the accuracy PROBLEM and the dragging magazine problem. I hope ,when they get around to looking at mine, they can fix or replace it ,and let me know what was wrong with it !!
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 10-28-2018, 03:10 PM
wproct's Avatar
wproct is online now

Join Date: 
Dec 2006
Location: 
Iowa
Posts: 
4,038
TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I am wishing you the best with your Ruger pistol. I must be quite lucky because I have owned numerous Ruger MKI and MKII pistols in my lifetime and have had zero problems with function or accuracy. I have had some irregularities as far as buffing out and finishing the frames where they are joined together, but these weren't over $1000 pistols where I would expect perfection.
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 10-28-2018, 05:32 PM
pistolboo's Avatar
pistolboo

Join Date: 
Sep 2016
Posts: 
186
TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
It is disappointing that a new gun has problems but I'm staying with Ruger and am already throwing money at it simply because of it's unique action, it's fixed receiver instead of a moving slide must give it an inherent accuracy advantage. Actually my new Standard reminds me a bit of something Russian, a bit rough around the edges but basically solid
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 10-28-2018, 07:59 PM
Flash_80

Join Date: 
Oct 2004
Location: 
Northwest Arkansas
Posts: 
3,287
TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by pistolboo View Post
it's fixed receiver instead of a moving slide must give it an inherent accuracy advantage.
Not really to me. Haven't seen the MK series shoot any better than a Buckmark myself. My limited experience with 4 MK series and 3 Buckmarks, with the exception of when the Volquartsen receiver is on the MKIV.
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 10-28-2018, 08:20 PM
jon p
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

Join Date: 
Feb 2012
Location: 
winder, ga
Posts: 
7,443
TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
i have owned probably

Quote:
Originally Posted by wproct View Post
I am wishing you the best with your Ruger pistol. I must be quite lucky because I have owned numerous Ruger MKI and MKII pistols in my lifetime and have had zero problems with function or accuracy. I have had some irregularities as far as buffing out and finishing the frames where they are joined together, but these weren't over $1000 pistols where I would expect perfection.
40 ruger guns over my last 50 years of shooting, I am a fan and I have never bought a new ruger of any kind that I had to return to the factory. first of the year I did the safety recall on my new stainless MKIV target, and now this terrible accuracy problem with my new 6" MKIV standard. I guess my number came up after so long ! LOL. it doesn't make me upset at all, I know it will be fixed or replaced, that's the way ruger operates. after all , it is a medium priced mass produced gun, and things happen. I bet it comes home in a couple of weeks accurate and no magazine dragging ! I have the faith.
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 10-28-2018, 08:38 PM
ammohog
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

Join Date: 
Jan 2009
Location: 
Texas
Posts: 
2,511
TPC Rating: 
100% (10)
jon p: Keep the faith pardner! I only have a MkIV Competition and a Buckmark Hunter to compare, and they take turns winning the 25 yard scoped shoot-off. Don't listen to the nay-say'rs. I did the mag fix to mine and it shoots without any problems. It took about 1,000 rounds for the spring to lighten up enough for SV ammo, as I expected it would. The good members here scared me into a VQ firing pin and extractor, I'm good to go. Me no scary! (now )........ Later Gator
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 10-29-2018, 06:48 AM
SailDesign's Avatar
SailDesign

Join Date: 
Mar 2015
Location: 
RI
Posts: 
1,865
TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Just please, please, make sure that if they send it back saying "it's fine now", you test-shoot it yourself BEFORE adding anything to it. Test shoot it exactly as they sent it back. That way, you will know if it is something you do to it later.

Even changing the grips is out. You never know.
__________________
"We have met the enemy, and he is us." - Pogo

Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 10-29-2018, 08:21 AM
jon p
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

Join Date: 
Feb 2012
Location: 
winder, ga
Posts: 
7,443
TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
Talking excellent suggestion

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailDesign View Post
Just please, please, make sure that if they send it back saying "it's fine now", you test-shoot it yourself BEFORE adding anything to it. Test shoot it exactly as they sent it back. That way, you will know if it is something you do to it later.

Even changing the grips is out. You never know.
all I had changed out on it was the grips and added a TK titanium one hole firing pin. when it gets home I won`t change anything until I see how the accuracy is . they will receive it in AZ. today, then I will wait to hear from them, will be interesting to see what is causing the terrible accuracy and magazine "drag".
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off




All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:27 PM.

Privacy Policy

DMCA Notice

Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimisation provided by DragonByte SEO (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright 2000-2018 RimfireCentral.com
x