Weaver Scope Warranty? - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 05-09-2018, 03:18 PM
joe h

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Weaver Scope Warranty?

so my friend was having problems with his v24 at the range a few weeks ago. he had it on his cz455 and it ran out of elevation to zero at 25y! so I said lets swap the scope rings around and see what happens, so we did. it didn't change anything, still wouldn't zero at 25y. it was shooting about 3-4" low adjusted all the way up. then we started process of elimination. we swapped it over to his ruger 10/22 which had no problems with the scope that was on it. we got it all set up with the v24, same issue. it ran out of elevation. so then we swapped it over to his Annie, same deal again. so being that it had the same issue on 3 guns he had to call up Weaver for an RMA# The tech on the phone advised to shim the back of the scope! fer real?.. ya, they said that! wow! he said no, I will just send it in for you to inspect. the scope obviously has mechanical issues. anyway he sent it off to the Weaver warranty department. a week later he gets the scope back with invoice.

Repair Invoice states:

OA over adjusted/shim mounts
L2 informative letter sent
CA clean and adjust
FO focus adjustment
RZ re-center reticle
IP inspected/tested/ meets specs
Comments:
overadjusted 34 up & 12 left
maximum adjustment is 20.
shim rear ring up to zero elevation

Now he hasn't thrown it back on a rifle yet but the way the Invoice states we don't think anything was repaired. right? looks like they just advise him to shim it.

can anyone make heads or tails of the invoice statement?

im guessing he will be forced to use burris rings with the moa inserts...
Old 05-09-2018, 06:48 PM
Stripekiller
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
I like Burris signature zee rings.... The inserts allow for real fine tuning windage and elevation. Well made, not cheap but not expensive. The v24 is a frustrating scope because of the limited adjustment, 26" if I'm not mistaken. Otherwise great scope, I like mine. Get the Burris signature zee rings and assorted inserts.
Old 05-09-2018, 08:37 PM
I6turbo
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (5)
Given that you had the same results on three different gun/ring combos that were known to be good, it sounds like Light Optical Works (Weaver's manufacturer) put out an individual scope with an issue (essentially all companies do that from time to time), and the people/person who worked on your scope at Weaver warranty service department in the U.S. don't know what they are doing.

I would be inclined to try to get in touch with the head of the warranty department and see what they say when you tell them the whole story. I expect you can get it serviced or replaced if you are persistent. I've been through this exact kind of thing before, but with a gun, not a scope.

Good luck.

Old 05-09-2018, 11:18 PM
Flash_80

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
I'm going to guess they didn't do anything to it going off of the turnaround time. Mount it, check it, document it, and contact again, aggressively. I sent in a 10-22 to Ruger 3 times in 2001 for constant jamming problems. 3rd time they fixed it, and I sent a well documented and nasty letter in the box for them that time around. The first trip back, they just replaced the freaking magazine. 2nd, the bolt. 3rd, they put a new barrel on it because the extractor groove was cut too shallow for the extractor to get a bite on the cartridge rim. No more issues the last 17 years with it, but I had to keep after them.
Old 05-10-2018, 07:38 AM
Shrink

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Is this a new scope or a proven scope that has developed this issue after a period of time?

You may want to check out (measure) the adjustment to see if you are getting full adjustment up and down. If not, send it back to Weaver explaining that issue. If you get full adjustment, you can still send it again and again. Or the Burris Sig Z rings Strikekiller mentioned are another good idea to try out. I have them on most of my scopes b/c of their inserts to fine tune adjustments in each direction and also b/c they don't leave any ring marks on expensive scopes.
Old 05-10-2018, 07:44 AM
joe h

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
This is a new scope that hasnít worked form day one. If he pays to ship it back and forth again heís just loosing money. Crappy warranty service. I told him to just pay the $20 for the offset inserts and be done. He already has a set of zee rings.
They sent him a bill of $10 with the scope for return shipping. Doubt he pays them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 05-10-2018, 01:26 PM
farm boy
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Try to find someone that also has the same scope. Check their maximum adjustment against yours. If they have the same adjustment you could figure your scope doesn't have a problem other than that model doesn't have the large adjustment range that other models do have. The Burris inserts should solve your issues and save the frustration dealing with Weaver.
Old 05-11-2018, 12:42 AM
rc.

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
scopes change elevation when they slide on a dovetail. Wonder if you changed your mounting position or rings if it would help.