Having problems with light strikes on your MK IV? - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 03-26-2018, 12:23 PM
trophyhunter
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Having problems with light strikes on your MK IV?

There's been so many complaints with regard to the change in the MK IV firing pin producing light strikes and or broken pins and peening damage I just went ahead and swapped the OEM lightened pin design out for a Volquartsen.

The VQ firing pin is the same design as the MK I-III and still sold and labeled as such in the packaging. Here's the pins together VQ on top and OEM MK IV on bottom.

How much of a difference does the Volquartsen pin make? ~Night and day!

The OEM Ruger lightened pin strike is at about the 1:00 position and the VQ pin strike is shown at the 8:00 position. The old adage a picture is worth a thousand words?

Old 03-26-2018, 01:03 PM
jstanfield103

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
trophyhunter,
Thanks for the pictures, they do say a thousand words.
Old 03-26-2018, 01:41 PM
jon p
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
BEFORE i had a problem

I added the TK titanium firing pin to both my new MKIVs, stainless target, and a 6" standard. I don't believe in taking a chance with damage to my new pistols.

Old 03-26-2018, 02:09 PM
trophyhunter

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jstanfield103 View Post
trophyhunter,
Thanks for the pictures, they do say a thousand words.
Yes Sir, huge difference in both the area and depth of impact and that is an Aquila subsonic case which are well known to have the hardest rims out there.

In fact I pulled the bullet and dumped the powder in that round in the picture and the first hit was the OEM pin and it didn't ignite the priming compound.

The 2nd hit was the Volquartsen pin and it lit right away, pulled a couple more down and it lit them off no problems.

I did some tests with cheap Remington bulk ammo and the OEM pin did work fine for those for what it's worth.
Old 03-26-2018, 11:01 PM
Flash_80

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Put together a MKIII 22/45 with a Pac Lite upper recently. Ran fine for a week, now its getting light strikes. Got the VQ pin in today, but sadly that didn't cure my ailment. My problem evidently lies somewhere else. 19 light strikes out of 100rds today. #$%#@$%#$%!!!!
Old 03-27-2018, 08:42 AM
22/45 Fan

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flash_80 View Post
Put together a MKIII 22/45 with a Pac Lite upper recently. Ran fine for a week, now its getting light strikes. Got the VQ pin in today, but sadly that didn't cure my ailment. My problem evidently lies somewhere else. 19 light strikes out of 100rds today. #$%#@$%#$%!!!!
That sounds like a headspace problem.
Old 03-27-2018, 04:28 PM
Flash_80

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Receiver is on its way to TacSol tomorrow to get checked out.
Old 03-28-2018, 10:09 AM
Carrij
US Air Force NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I have a basic Mark IV 22/45, 40107, that I love. Ran about 1,000 rounds through it without having any problems. At that point I felt like it was broken in and I had a Volquartsen trigger kit installed. Immediately had light strike problems, 30-40% per magazine. Called Volquartsen and they said they were aware of the problem and sent me one of their firing pin. Decided if I was going to take the bolt apart I might as well also change the extractor so I ordered it too. Did the swap out and went to the range. Problem solved, ran my six magazines through multiple times without having any issues. It is strange how some people have no problems when they install a Volquartsen trigger kit and others end up with light strikes. Overall with what I have been hearing about the new Mark IV firing pin, I am glad I have changed mine before I have an issue.

Many may call it a Plain Jane but to me she is a Black Beauty.

Old 03-28-2018, 11:40 AM
heavyduty

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carrij View Post
I have a basic Mark IV 22/45, 40107, that I love. Ran about 1,000 rounds through it without having any problems. At that point I felt like it was broken in and I had a Volquartsen trigger kit installed. Immediately had light strike problems, 30-40% per magazine. Called Volquartsen and they said they were aware of the problem and sent me one of their firing pin. Decided if I was going to take the bolt apart I might as well also change the extractor so I ordered it too. Did the swap out and went to the range. Problem solved, ran my six magazines through multiple times without having any issues. It is strange how some people have no problems when they install a Volquartsen trigger kit and others end up with light strikes. Overall with what I have been hearing about the new Mark IV firing pin, I am glad I have changed mine before I have an issue.

Many may call it a Plain Jane but to me she is a Black Beauty.

My new 40107 should be here within the week. I already have a VQ action kit, recoil spring assembly, firing pin and extractor on hand for after I put enough rounds through her to be sure she doesnít need an immediate return to the mothership for warranty work. Iím glad to hear yours is now working well!
Old 03-28-2018, 12:05 PM
hdskullfire2

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Just a question..

Is any of this related to dry firing? For example, this is a known common problem on Marlin Model 60's. If dry fired too much, all you are doing is blunting the tip of the pin into a hard surface and basically it shortens the tip of the firing pin and puts undue stress on other parts leading to light strikes or broken firing pins.

Steve..
Old 03-28-2018, 12:53 PM
heavyduty

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
I would say no, as long as the firing stop pin is intact and in place and the FP itself is in one piece. The FP canít reach the chamber wall.

Thatís one of the things I like about Rugers...
Old 03-28-2018, 09:37 PM
Carrij
US Air Force NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Had a great afternoon at the range with my Mark IV. Put another 700 rounds through it after adding a new firing pin and extractor. I did have six ftfire but between the 250 shot yesterday, didn't clean it, and 700 today I was satisfied.
Old 03-28-2018, 09:58 PM
trophyhunter

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carrij View Post
Had a great afternoon at the range with my Mark IV. Put another 700 rounds through it after adding a new firing pin and extractor. I did have six ftfire but between the 250 shot yesterday, didn't clean it, and 700 today I was satisfied.
Your thumbs have got to be sore as heck by now from loading all those mags

My Hunter made another 300 rounds evaporate again today, I have got to find a mag loader for it.
Old 03-29-2018, 06:39 AM
cabin22

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by trophyhunter View Post
Your thumbs have got to be sore as heck by now from loading all those mags

My Hunter made another 300 rounds evaporate again today, I have got to find a mag loader for it.
McFadden Ultimate Cliploader.
Old 03-29-2018, 07:06 AM
trophyhunter

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cabin22 View Post
McFadden Ultimate Cliploader.
Just watched a video of one in action ~ "Take my money" lol this should up the daily round count by a good margin at the range.