Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 12-22-2017, 10:27 AM
Snoman1013
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
A New Savage A17 in Mach2??

Ok good hopefully I have your attention!

This is not my idea and I'm not taking credit for it. There are some other RFC members here that had this idea a few months back, I don't remember who but it sounded like an awesome idea, for Savage to make an semi auto A17 Mach2 rifle!!

My idea to make a post like this came back to me about 2 weeks ago. A fellow RFC member had a wood stock for sale for a Savage 93r17 rifle. Yes I know the difference with 17hmr and 17hm2, bear with me a moment...
I did research and thought I had a "non E receiver" rifle, but wanted to be sure so I called savage customer service. They verified what my 17hmr rifle is.

After my 17hmr questions, they asked is there anything else we can do? So I asked the CS guy if Savage had any plans to make a A17 Mach2 rifle? He said he was not aware of any, that I was the first customer of his to ask about it.
He thought it was a good idea and would pass it along, I don't know if that means management or research and development. I also told him that it seems like 17mach2 ammo is coming back and is more available that it's been in a long time.

There's always the possibility he may not be able to say anything until SHOT show, which I also eluded to.

But after SHOT show, if they do not release a A17 Mach2, I'm asking everyone to please call and email Savage with this request. If there is enough interest I believe they would build it!

I already have an A17 savage and love it! I would be first in line for a A17 Mach2 in heavy barrel, stainless, and wood stock.

Thanks in advance!

Merry Christmas

Happy shooting
Old 12-22-2017, 10:06 PM
tfrank
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
And if they don't...

And if they don't plan to make an A17 in 17 Mach2, is it feasible to set the barrel back on a HMR chambered rifle to make your own custom 17 Mach2 chambered A17. Probably a whole lot more re-engineering than just setting the barrel back, but its kind of a neat idea. Probably way too much work though. Don't have an A17 so I really have no idea how involved such a project would be, but a safe 17 Mach2 semi-auto would be very neat!!!
God Bless, Frank.
Old 12-24-2017, 07:17 AM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tfrank View Post
And if they don't plan to make an A17 in 17 Mach2, is it feasible to set the barrel back on a HMR chambered rifle to make your own custom 17 Mach2 chambered A17. Probably a whole lot more re-engineering than just setting the barrel back, but its kind of a neat idea. Probably way too much work though. Don't have an A17 so I really have no idea how involved such a project would be, but a safe 17 Mach2 semi-auto would be very neat!!!
God Bless, Frank.
And you'd have to build it on the .22LR action, or re-engineer the HMR action to work with .22LR magazines. All in all, it could turn into a MAJOR engineering effort. Just take a gander at the 10/22 forums when folks were trying to make HM2 10/22s, and all the headaches involved. Even Ruger's engineers found that a tough mountain to climb.
I knew a few folks who did get them to work (on their own), but after putting a LOT of money into the work, eventually gave up and went back to .22LR. New extractors, barrels, special bolts or bolt handles (to slow down the cycling speed), there are a lot of factors that need balancing exactly right or all you have are a bunch of expensive parts that don't work. Politely put, they are a PITA.

Old 12-24-2017, 09:55 PM
tfrank

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Wink Believe me...

Believe me, I am very much aware of the engineering problems that would have to be solved for this to be a safe and reliable rifle. That is why I have NO INTENTION of trying to do this myself, but maybe there is someone out there that likes an engineering challenge!!!
God Bless, Frank.
Old 12-25-2017, 09:31 AM
Stripekiller
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Believe me, I am very much aware of the engineering problems that would have to be solved for this to be a safe and reliable rifle. That is why I have NO INTENTION of trying to do this myself, but maybe there is someone out there that likes an engineering challenge!!!
God Bless, Frank.
I was the OP a year ago. I posted the question in the Mach 2 category here, go back and check out that thread. I personally don't believe it would be that difficult to put a Mach 2 rifle together in a a17 platform, the engineers have already done the work with the A17, A22, A22 LR. Should just take some tweaking and testing in Mach 2 chambering.
Old 12-25-2017, 10:36 AM
Stripekiller

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stripekiller View Post
Quote:
God Bless, Frank.
I was the OP a year ago. I posted the question in the Mach 2 category here, go back and check out that thread. I personally don't believe it would be that difficult to put a Mach 2 rifle together in a a17 platform, the engineers have already done the work with the A17, A22, A22 LR. Should just take some tweaking and testing in Mach 2 chambering.
for savage not me personally, or anyone else.
Old 12-25-2017, 04:38 PM
Rider357
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
That was pretty nasty “ammo shock” we all went through for a couple years and I think Savage would need some sort of assurance it wasn’t going to happen again before such an investment.
Old 12-25-2017, 05:41 PM
Stripekiller

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rider357 View Post
That was pretty nasty “ammo shock” we all went through for a couple years and I think Savage would need some sort of assurance it wasn’t going to happen again before such an investment.
I agree, some would go so far as to say that mach2 is dead, but there has been a revival in the last 2 years or so. Now we even have new production CCI ammo available. I personally believe that savage has already made the investment. I would keep an eye out on the internet during shot show this January, there may be a new rifle available in semiautomatic Mach 2.
Old 12-29-2017, 03:33 PM
Dybbzz

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I asked this question on Facebook a year ago and they're answer was "Thank you for your message. However, there are no current plans to make the A17 in a mach2.

Regards,
Savage Arms". I asked a month ago after cci started making ammo and they're answer was "thanks for reaching out! We've submitted your feedback to our Product Development team for consideration. Thanks!" That change in answer makes me think they will unveil it at shot show this winter.
Old 12-29-2017, 07:45 PM
tfrank

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
It's very possible...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dybbzz View Post
I asked this question on Facebook a year ago and they're answer was "Thank you for your message. However, there are no current plans to make the A17 in a mach2.

Regards,
Savage Arms". I asked a month ago after cci started making ammo and they're answer was "thanks for reaching out! We've submitted your feedback to our Product Development team for consideration. Thanks!" That change in answer makes me think they will unveil it at shot show this winter.
It's very possible that you are correct, and I hope you are!!! It seems to me that most if not all of the development work has already be done when they developed the HMR A17. Shorten the action a bit, a different mag, slightly softer springs and the rifle should be ready to go!!! Dybbzz, lets hope your right!!!
God Bless, Frank.
Old 01-07-2018, 01:08 PM
lil_Glock

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Like the 22. WRF. I do not want to pass down a gun down to my kids that they can't shoot.