Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 03-21-2017, 07:30 PM
goldenpony
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by C6Vern View Post
Goldenpony ... I had the exact same thing occur with my 2 new Mark IVs. Research on the forum led me to believe most failure to feed issues were due to the magazines. I had failure to feed issues with multiple old and new magazines. So I performed a tuneup with actions based on these two links:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GL1rIj43sGA
https://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums...d.php?t=507693

This helped a great deal. I was amazed at how rough and dirty even a new mag could be.
The problem seems to have gotten worse after the kit was installed. That is why I asked the question.
I have 4 magazines. All 4 have been cleaned and lubed and seem to be OK.
Old 03-21-2017, 09:09 PM
C6Vern

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I installed my kits before firing my Mark IV's so I can't answer that part of your question. Did you use a file or sandpaper in the channel where the magazine follower rides up and down? My mags would stick and be gritty because of that area. I did have one mag that still had issues so I ordered a new spring for it.
Old 03-21-2017, 09:27 PM
polarys425

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenpony View Post
I have a question. I installed the VQ Accurizing kit in my Mark IV Target model. I love the feel of the new trigger. I do have a question. Do the new parts, like the sear and hammer have a break in period? The reason I ask is most of the time the guns runs perfectly, but I have had a few failure to feed instances. Not often, but they have happened. When it occurs, the round is partially loaded. Otherwise the guns runs great. I am absolutely sure I have everything installed correctly.
Ideas??
The VQ kit shouldn't have any bearing on a fail to feed condition. That should be magazine or ammo related so long as everything is re-assembled correctly.

Old 03-22-2017, 06:55 AM
Test_Engineer

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
I have a question. I installed the VQ Accurizing kit in my Mark IV Target model. I love the feel of the new trigger. I do have a question. Do the new parts, like the sear and hammer have a break in period? The reason I ask is most of the time the guns runs perfectly, but I have had a few failure to feed instances. Not often, but they have happened. When it occurs, the round is partially loaded. Otherwise the guns runs great. I am absolutely sure I have everything installed correctly.
Ideas??
Are you using an aftermarket extractor?
Old 03-22-2017, 09:46 AM
goldenpony

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Test_Engineer View Post
Are you using an aftermarket extractor?
Yes, an Eagle's Talon
Old 03-22-2017, 10:50 AM
Florida Guy

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Installed my kit last Friday.
First trip to the range tomorrow to check function.
Old 03-22-2017, 11:01 AM
Test_Engineer

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
The sharp corner on the bottom of the extractor hook can sometimes stab the brass as it comes up from the mag. Looks like this:

To avoid the "partial feed jam", I round that point off like this:

The VQ kit can't cause this jam, but removing the mag disconnect might be allowing the mag to sit a little bit different. Give it a try!
Old 03-22-2017, 03:17 PM
goldenpony

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Hmmm...

The ammo I have been shooting and having the occasionl failure to feed was Winchester M22 and Aguila Super Extra.
Just for poops and giggles I loaded up 2 mags with Mini Mags and guess what, 20 perfect rounds.
Old 03-22-2017, 06:01 PM
valor1

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
The ammo I have been shooting and having the occasionl failure to feed was Winchester M22 and Aguila Super Extra.
Just for poops and giggles I loaded up 2 mags with Mini Mags and guess what, 20 perfect rounds.
The Winchester m22 must be one of the garbage ammo I've used. i shot them on a Ruger 10/22 and it's garbage. I've shot them on my Ruger Mark IV and ended up giving it to the next guy on the range just to rid myself of the the bulk ammo I've got.
Old 03-22-2017, 08:25 PM
goldenpony

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
M22

Yea, I agree about the M22. I bought a bunch of it when you couldn't hardly find any .22LR. I've had problems in most all of my semi auto guns. The only gun I feel I can use it in fairly reliably , except for the occasional dud, is my lever action Henry rifle. Like I said, except for the occasional dud, the Henry doesn't seem to care.
Old 05-20-2017, 06:50 AM
NeauxGo

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I must have all thumbs. Attempted the kit install in my MK IV Target and ran into trouble. Twice while cocking the hammer to install the upper, I overcocked it and had to disassemble again with parts a-flyin'. I couldn't get it to release otherwise. The last time, I got everything back together, but the safety is wrong. Can't feel the detent and it moves on it's own. Wonder if it fell off internally. It will cock and fire, but the trigger has to pulled all the way back against the rear of the trigger guard. Seems like a ton on travel. Back at it soon...
Old 05-20-2017, 09:33 AM
MarkB1
US Coast Guard Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeauxGo View Post
I must have all thumbs. Attempted the kit install in my MK IV Target and ran into trouble. Twice while cocking the hammer to install the upper, I overcocked it and had to disassemble again with parts a-flyin'. I couldn't get it to release otherwise. The last time, I got everything back together, but the safety is wrong. Can't feel the detent and it moves on it's own. Wonder if it fell off internally. It will cock and fire, but the trigger has to pulled all the way back against the rear of the trigger guard. Seems like a ton on travel. Back at it soon...
Check to see if the detent and spring is still in the end of the safety lever. You may have lost both and this will cause the condition you have. Ruger should replace them if you can't find the detent and spring.
Old 05-20-2017, 02:51 PM
NeauxGo

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkB1 View Post
Check to see if the detent and spring is still in the end of the safety lever. You may have lost both and this will cause the condition you have. Ruger should replace them if you can't find the detent and spring.
Thanks for the tip: Pulled things apart again. Somehow the catch on the safety bar wasn't in the right spot. No parts lost. Screwed up re-assembly two more times and finally got it together. Next step - range time to see how badly I buggered things up.

Last edited by NeauxGo; 05-20-2017 at 03:26 PM.