Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > > >

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 06-24-2019, 04:50 PM
RMS65
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
XT22 cleaning frequency.

I have a XT22 that I shoots erratically. Mostly bad. I floated the barrel and fully bedded the stock. This thing sometimes shoots MOA some times 4 MOA with the same ammo. I've tried dozens of different types of ammo. From the cheapest to high end Lapua. Non group consistently the same, either good or bad. I often get a good group after a couple of warm up shots and then it degrades back to crap. I tend to refrain from cleaning the bores of my rifles. Because a clean bore never shoots well. Most of my rifles don't fire bare lead bullets so I'm wondering if the "micro groove" bore on this particular rifle could be lead fouled. I'm hoping some of you marlin experts can help.
Thanks
Old 06-24-2019, 06:29 PM
athappyhiker

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I'm of the opinion you should clean the bores of guns every time you shoot them (except maybe if you know you'll be shooting it again within a few days). Leaving any kind of fouling in the bore could attract/cover moisture leading to bad things, and it will be harder to clean out well if you go too long between cleanings. Centerfire rifles get a good soaking with Hoppes 9 and brushed/patches due to copper fouling. rimfires I typically swab out with Hoppes 9 soaked patches followed by dry patches a few times. 22LR doesn't lead up bores that fast (most of the lead bullets have a type of waxy coating I believe that also helps keep fouling down).I only use a brush on a rimfire bore if it has had A LOT of rounds put down it and accuracy is falling off.

Regarding your situation; that sounds like something is off with the rifle or your scope or mount even if you've got one mounted... that is very odd that you're seeing that kind of group inconsistency that quickly with a variety of ammo. Even a relatively dirty 22LR bore should group pretty consistently with any given quality ammo (not counting inaccurate junk bulk ammo like Rem Golden Bullets). Could be that your free float/bedding job has put a weird pressure point that only affects things as the barrel/action heat up...
Marlin microgroove barrels are known to be consistently accurate and good production quality (although it's possible you got a lemon I suppose especially with Remington making them nowadays).
Old 06-24-2019, 07:13 PM
JMKnowles

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I agree with the above post from athappyhiker.

I always clean my firearms after a trip to the range. Usually just a cleaning and swabbing of the barrel with Eezox.

In regards to your post I immediately also thought the bedding of the stock may have affected the rifle's accuracy. Did you shoot it before bedding the stock ? If so how did it shoot then. If I were you I'd try to someone nearby that also has the same XT as you and swap over to their stock and see how your rifle shoots then.

Best of luck solving your issue, it's rare to find a Marlin .22 that isn't fairly accurate right out of the box.

Old 06-24-2019, 07:17 PM
RMS65

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by athappyhiker View Post
I'm of the opinion you should clean the bores of guns every time you shoot them (except maybe if you know you'll be shooting it again within a few days). Leaving any kind of fouling in the bore could attract/cover moisture leading to bad things, and it will be harder to clean out well if you go too long between cleanings. Centerfire rifles get a good soaking with Hoppes 9 and brushed/patches due to copper fouling. rimfires I typically swab out with Hoppes 9 soaked patches followed by dry patches a few times. 22LR doesn't lead up bores that fast (most of the lead bullets have a type of waxy coating I believe that also helps keep fouling down).I only use a brush on a rimfire bore if it has had A LOT of rounds put down it and accuracy is falling off.

Regarding your situation; that sounds like something is off with the rifle or your scope or mount even if you've got one mounted... that is very odd that you're seeing that kind of group inconsistency that quickly with a variety of ammo. Even a relatively dirty 22LR bore should group pretty consistently with any given quality ammo (not counting inaccurate junk bulk ammo like Rem Golden Bullets). Could be that your free float/bedding job has put a weird pressure point that only affects things as the barrel/action heat up...
Marlin microgroove barrels are known to be consistently accurate and good production quality (although it's possible you got a lemon I suppose especially with Remington making them nowadays).
Thanks for the detailed response. I'll try brushing out the barrel and start from scratch. This rifle did this before free floating the barrel and bedding the action. Thats why I did it in the first place. Pretty sure I gave it a good cleaning when I finished bedding the stock. I may have just got a dud
Old 06-24-2019, 08:15 PM
Henry88

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Also if your scope isn't parallax free and you're changing your cheek weld.
Old 06-24-2019, 09:26 PM
truckjohn

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I got a new stainless XT22 a month or so ago. It's quite accurate given the right ammo. Wolf, SK, and Eley Club all average around 1 moa at 25 yards. I was able to make Sawdust's 1/4" Superstock bolt challenge with my old Eley Tennex. I haven't shot for groups past 25 yards. CCI SV and the decent Federal Match run 1.5-2 moa. Cheap bulk ammo shot a lot worse.

Which model do you have? How is the trigger - mine came in about 6 lbs and a Mcabro spring took it down to 2 lbs. Does it have the wood stock or plastic? What sort of glass are you using?

Cleaning - yes. Mine seems to shoot the 1st group really well after 3 fouling shots off a clean bore. Then it opens up a little - but not to 4 moa unless we are talking cheap bulk pack.
Old 06-24-2019, 09:49 PM
RMS65

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by truckjohn View Post
I got a new stainless XT22 a month or so ago. It's quite accurate given the right ammo. Wolf, SK, and Eley Club all average around 1 moa at 25 yards. I was able to make Sawdust's 1/4" Superstock bolt challenge with my old Eley Tennex. I haven't shot for groups past 25 yards. CCI SV and the decent Federal Match run 1.5-2 moa. Cheap bulk ammo shot a lot worse.

Which model do you have? How is the trigger - mine came in about 6 lbs and a Mcabro spring took it down to 2 lbs. Does it have the wood stock or plastic? What sort of glass are you using?

Cleaning - yes. Mine seems to shoot the 1st group really well after 3 fouling shots off a clean bore. Then it opens up a little - but not to 4 moa unless we are talking cheap bulk pack.
It's the blued sporter barrel in factory laminate stock. I used arcaglass and have the mcarbo spring in the trigger. This target was shot left to right from cold. No scope adjustment made. Third group looks decent then they open up again not as bad as cold but still not good. This is @ 50yds and the dots are 3/4 "
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20190624_164244_1561430761834.jpg (140.7 KB, 5 views)
Old 06-24-2019, 10:03 PM
truckjohn

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I would give it a good cleaning and see if it helps..

Ok. I haven't shot mine at 50 yards to see.. That's on tap for me - but switching over to my 36x sightron pointed out some wobbly benchrest issues at 50 yards that I have to figure out... I have close to 1/2" of wiggle-jiggle in mr. wobbly bench at 50 yards now - that's no good when I am trying to shoot under that...

Something weird that made a difference with mine...
Maybe it will with yours, maybe not....
At 25....

Shoot a group.
Then shoot 2 rounds of some sort of HV - minimags or blazers
Then shoot one 5 shot group with your good ammo...
Then shoot 2 more HV rounds...
shoot another good ammo group...
Old 06-26-2019, 09:26 PM
RMS65

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
I would give it a good cleaning and see if it helps..

Ok. I haven't shot mine at 50 yards to see.. That's on tap for me - but switching over to my 36x sightron pointed out some wobbly benchrest issues at 50 yards that I have to figure out... I have close to 1/2" of wiggle-jiggle in mr. wobbly bench at 50 yards now - that's no good when I am trying to shoot under that...

Something weird that made a difference with mine...
Maybe it will with yours, maybe not....
At 25....

Shoot a group.
Then shoot 2 rounds of some sort of HV - minimags or blazers
Then shoot one 5 shot group with your good ammo...
Then shoot 2 more HV rounds...
shoot another good ammo group...
I cleaned the rifle and it shot considerably better. Still not great but at least consistent. Solid 1" or less at 50 yards with standard velocity cci and Wolf match extra. 1"-1.5" with occasional flyers with bulk high velocity. The best group, 5 shots through one ragged hole happened right after switching from high velocity plated ammo to standard velocity Wolf. You may be on to something with alternating ammo. I'm not uber impressed with the rifle but at least its consistent now. It does drop the first two cold bore shots a 1" plus low @ 50yds. Won't make a great hunting or target rifle but at least its worth keeping now for backyard plinking. Thanks for your help.

Last edited by RMS65; 06-26-2019 at 09:30 PM.
Old 06-26-2019, 09:52 PM
truckjohn

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Yep totally weird with mine.

2 rounds of Minimags and then the next 5 of quality ammo drops into a nice tight group.

I haven't fooled with cold bore shots - but one old timer swore to me that his 22's would give a good cold bore shot for hunting if he finished the last round of shooting with some flavor of copper washed HV ammo. That's on tap for an experiment for me...
Old 06-27-2019, 06:22 AM
RMS65

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Yep totally weird with mine.

2 rounds of Minimags and then the next 5 of quality ammo drops into a nice tight group.

I haven't fooled with cold bore shots - but one old timer swore to me that his 22's would give a good cold bore shot for hunting if he finished the last round of shooting with some flavor of copper washed HV ammo. That's on tap for an experiment for me...
Cool I'll give that a whirl. Too bad it just doesn't shoot the mini-mags well to begin with.