Broken Extractor - Page 2 - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 02-19-2019, 08:31 AM
Hyhodeb
Fire Fighter NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
My Mark II

My Mark II is all stock (5.5 Bull barrel) and the extractor has moved the metal in the groove into the opening of the chamber so as to prevent a round falling completely into the chamber. The extractor has a polished mark right on the edge of the slot at the chamber hole. This causes the next round stripped from the mag to not go completely into the chamber and I have to slap the rear of the bolt to fully seat the round before firing. Will an aftermarket extractor prevent this?
Old 02-24-2019, 01:28 PM
MyNameIsEarl
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Arrow

Well, the MKII that has worn a hole right into the chamber has a worn out barrel and it needs to be replaced. That's a lot of rounds to carve out a groove like that. Perhaps a lot of dry fire did that.

On the other hand, just like the earlier Marks, the extractor should not break. Broken extractors are a sign that the barrel is not installed square to the frame. Or as mentioned there is excessive bolt rotation caused or allowed by the ejector.
The only other thing I can think of would be if the extractor groove in the barrel face is not deep enough and the extractor nose is stubbing as it bottoms out.

I would consider the broken extractors as a sign something isn't right. This is not supposed to be a part that needs regular replacement.

MyNameIsEarl