Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 11-25-2017, 01:17 PM
fourbore
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)

I actually got TWO bushing/washers from VQ. I guess they forgot or I fail to mention which gun I had. I purchased for sport south (?). They did not have a record. One bag was labelled Mk IV and the other MkIV 22/45.

I forget which was which, one was thicker (or is the proper term wider) - Filling a larger gap.
Old 01-06-2018, 04:14 PM
ALBundysDodge

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Interesting thread.

Last night I installed a recently purchased vq kit on an old wbr target model that I did send in for the upgrade.

The kit included the disconnector and two washers as posted above. Also, the straight sear spring.

Taking my time, it took me a little over two hours to install. It was late and I had to disassemble it again because I neglected to put the washer in the first time I assembled it.

My only other hitch was for some reason I thought the trigger bar reinstalled on the left side. Once I got that figured out, no problems

Trigger pull is very light, I wish I owned a gauge to test it. I do prefer a little more pre travel and need to get that setting figured out. Maybe Iíll try it with the screw removed?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 01-06-2018, 09:55 PM
cnc1951

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
This is why I don't buy used guns!
Old 01-09-2018, 06:32 AM
fourbore

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cnc1951 View Post
This is why I don't buy used guns!
While I approve of the work discussed in this thread, I also understand the above quote. Understand - yet not not completely agree. I like to buy used and I look for safe queens, virgins in the box. In many cases not only are you getting better fit and finish the price is better. There is no sure bet. New gun can be a night mare as can be used. I believe I am playing the odds in my favor to consider used guns. In my experience, the used guns work out better than new. I messed up a few time. I learned what to look for.

You can spot some warning signs easy- turned screws, any modification, even a grip swap, sights, anything. Too 'good' a trigger pull.

Another warning flag is a used gun that is less than a year old. The prices are not so low as to reflect the added risk of buying a used lemon. Not talking ruger, but any gun.
Old 01-09-2018, 11:16 AM
Test_Engineer

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fourbore View Post
New gun can be a night mare as can be used. I believe I am playing the odds in my favor to consider used guns. In my experience, the used guns work out better than new. I messed up a few time. I learned what to look for.
I agree with this completely. I've bought new and used guns that were a total nightmare. My (new) MKIII and (used) AR-7 were both jam-o-matic pieces of junk when I got them. The common factor was they were both purchased from internet auctions. I will never again purchase a gun without examining it first.

The hard thing is very few sellers will allow you to take a gun down to examine the insides to aid in deciding if you want to buy. So to some degree, you still have to take a chance. But there are some things I can check that could kill a sale.

1) General appearance. If the gun has a cracked stock, dinged chamber, pitting, or other signs of neglect and/or abuse - goodbye.

2) Magazines that move around in the mag well. This gun will have feeding problems guaranteed. It might be fixable, but will still drop what I'm willing to pay by at least a third.

3) How rough/smooth the (semi-auto) action cycles. Rough action = FTEs. Again, maybe fixable, but it reduces my interest considerably if it's not smooth.

4) Bore condition. It should be straight with a good crown and crisp rifling. Any pitting or problems here will flag an inaccurate pistol/rifle.

If the gun is used, I prefer to buy from a private seller rather then a store. Someone who knows the gun's history and is honest can be a big help. I don't care what mods they may have made, as long as they disclose them so I know what I'm buying. Hopefully, they have the original parts to go along with the "upgraded" gun, but it's not necessarily a deal breaker if they don't.
Old 01-27-2019, 09:45 AM
Big-Dummy
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
My safety works just fine with the Volquartsen sear with no modification necessary.
Old 02-04-2019, 08:09 AM
redlightrich

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
OP, thanks for taking the time to post this. It was helpful to a lot of people. Please swap out that sear if you ever sell. Not that there is a problem with it ( as the sear surface is much wider than need be) but just so a new owner never comes back at you.

My question is this, why is there an "extension" or piece that sticks further down on the factory sear? Is it for weight to add drop protection? I don't have a MkIV so I cant see the parts relationship.

The replacement sear looks very similar, if not identical to my MkI, MkII, MkIII sears.

If VQ just machined the notch in their sear (like you did) , it would fit all Mk series pistols, without harming sear/hammer engagement.
I hope VQ irons it out. Their sear, has been the best value/upgrade to all previous Mk pistols. I wish they could get the 10/22 to react the same way to their mods.

I am however fairly certain they will iron this out.

Based on what BigDummy said ( I feel rude even writing his name :-) , tolerance stack is either huge on these pistols, or there was a redesign at some point?

Curious about that extra metal on factory sear???

Rich
Old 02-04-2019, 09:37 AM
Test_Engineer

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by redlightrich View Post
My question is this, why is there an "extension" or piece that sticks further down on the factory sear? Is it for weight to add drop protection? I don't have a MkIV so I cant see the parts relationship.
From about the same time frame this thread was started, Ruger was asked:

https://www.rimfirecentral.com/forum...49&postcount=1

However, I think this guy on a YouTube MKIV disassembly/reassembly video's thoughts made more sense. It's an aid for assembling the pistol. By placing an empty mag in the frame after installing the sear, the sear won't flip over backward while you wrestle in the safety, hammer assembly, and disconnector. Then you only need 6 hands for assembly instead of 9.
Old 02-04-2019, 09:05 PM
Ruger454SRH

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
The factory sear has DROP PROTECTION built into it,, to answer question above,,
Old 02-05-2019, 08:06 AM
redlightrich

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Not sure about this?

However, I think this guy on a YouTube MKIV disassembly/reassembly video's thoughts made more sense. It's an aid for assembling the pistol. By placing an empty mag in the frame after installing the sear, the sear won't flip over backward while you wrestle in the safety, hammer assembly, and disconnector. Then you only need 6 hands for assembly instead of 9.

Hello again all. So, it appears that Ruger's official response is the added metal to the sear is to aid in drop protection.

The fellow above feels it is for assembly?

Is the MkIV any harder to assemble the grip frame components than a MkIII or earlier?
In putting a MkIII back together, you have to be mindful of sear flip, but it isn't an issue to me at all.

Is something about the MkIV harder in that regard?

Ty
Old 02-05-2019, 10:00 AM
Ruger454SRH

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I always start the hammer pin through the safety then rotate safety over the sear to hold it in place for assembly,, done hundreds over the years,, the IV is not much different than earlier versions,,
Old 02-06-2019, 02:01 AM
Test_Engineer

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by redlightrich View Post

Hello again all. So, it appears that Ruger's official response is the added metal to the sear is to aid in drop protection.
Yah. And we all know how irresponsible Volquartsen is for selling sears that don't have this "drop protection". After nearly 60 years of Ruger sears without it, what exactly created this need for "drop protection"? Has anyone heard of a dropped mark pistol discharging because of the old sear design? I haven't.

Quote:
The fellow above feels it is for assembly?
Yep. The fellow is "AshburnArmorer" and here is his video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GvaKZh5SMtM

Watch the 10 minutes from 1:02:00 to 1:14:00. At 1:05:00 he shows how the sear can be controlled by installing a magazine.

Quote:
Is the MkIV any harder to assemble the grip frame components than a MkIII or earlier?
I'd say it is. I can take my MKIII from this:

to fully assembled and ready to fire in about 15 minutes with no struggle at all. The tweezers shown and a screwdriver for the grips are the only tools needed to do that. It takes me longer than 15 minutes just to get the safety/hammer/hammer pin installed in a MKIV.

The problem is with the 2 piece safety design. It's painful to align all the various pieces together without extra tools and/or extra hands.

Quote:
In putting a MkIII back together, you have to be mindful of sear flip, but it isn't an issue to me at all.
I agree. I use the disconnector to control the sear until the safety is installed. Then the safety controls the sear until the hammer is installed enough to keep the sear from flipping. It's easy to flip the safety off at that point because the button is fully installed and functional. That's not the case with the MKIV. You have to try to "jiggle" the safety plate directly because the lever/detent is not yet in place.

Quote:
Is something about the MkIV harder in that regard?

Ty
Here's another video to check out. It's by "Captain Gyro":

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YB9EmYwDyzg

Watch the 10 minutes from 13:47 to 24:03. Yeah, he uses the safety plate to control the VQ sear. But he also uses a vice, tape, allen wrench, and a punch to get it all put together. And he still struggles with it a bit in spite of his obvious practice and using additional tools. It's also much slower progress than I make putting my MKII or MKIII back together after a detail cleaning.

If I had chosen to keep my MIV, I would have installed the Majestic Arms kit instead of the Volquartsen kit because it has the "drop protection" style sear that can be controlled with a magazine. I don't think you should need a lot of tools to perform simple maintenance on a pistol. YMMV.