Volquartzen Summit Build - Page 2 - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 08-11-2018, 04:20 PM
grg
US Army Disabled American Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)

Jagerman, I deleted that post as I did not want anybody else to misinterpret it. I had asked them to use my barrel and set head space just in case I made a mistake but more so if something else was wrong with the receiver they would have caught it. Something else is wrong and now the whole action is going to get switched out. It could have turned out the other way and I might have been given a bill for $150, I would have paid it. You make it sound like since I didn't buy the complete gun then it's all my problem, I don't think so and they don't either.

Even with thus problem I am still happy with Volquartzen. They have made it clear they stand by their product and so I am in turn thinking about another Summit build and a Scorpion. Even great companies have problems at times.
Old 08-11-2018, 08:16 PM
Ledslnger

TPC Rating: 
100% (9)
Steyr is good, but VQ is better at what they do. VQ all day long for me. You can always count on them, great customer service. Just wait till the person at Steyr helping you goes on vacay for 4 months lol.
Old 08-11-2018, 10:03 PM
grg

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
LGS just got a Steyer Zephyr in 22lr, loved the rifle and the feel of the stock. Problem is it was sure one ugly chunk of wood.

Old 08-18-2018, 11:10 PM
grg

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
Picked up my new action today at Brownells. I at least expected to have to pay the transfer fee but Volquartsen took care of everything. I don't know of any other gun company that stands behind their product like this.

I got home tonight and tried a few different shim combinations, ended with 3 shims and the headspace settled in at .043 with the bolt working perfectly. Now I'm anxious to go back out and shoot this tomorrow. I have both the CCI and Hornady hm2 ammo so we will see if there is a preference.
Old 10-06-2018, 09:35 PM
Stripekiller
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
How's the rifle working, sure would love to hear how accurate it is....
Old 10-06-2018, 11:03 PM
grg

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
All the problems I had were apparently happening across the board to many people as they halted shipping the actions and complete rifles and made some changes (This is per a letter Scott Volquartsen sent out). They also increased the thickness of the problem area for added strength

Back to your question I had asked that they send me one of the first parts off the line which they did, still in the white. I have run about 400 rounds through it of both Hornady and CCI in hm2 and the CCI is definitely more accurate in this rifle. I have played with the headspace and putting a shim under the barrel at different locations but really have not gotten it to shoot as I like a hm2 to shoot. I have more work to do with the bedding and finishing the stock so far from done with it but the main thing is I feel that the action at least isn't going to break on me now. As far as accuracy it will definitely pass grade for headshooting a squirrel out to 50 or 60 yards but that doesn't mean it's an eyeball shooter. As a matter of fact I don't know if I am an eyeball shooter any more.

I have a few ideas flipping around and one of them is possibly milling a slot on each side of the forearm to drop in an aluminum rail maybe 1"8" checkered to help with grip when hunting. It would be set in flush and black to match the receiver, what do you think? Also I think if I can't get this barrel to shoot any better I have a Lilja as well as an Anschutz barrel that I could make some changes on and make this a 22lr. I'm going to jump back on this over the next week or so and hopefully get it done.
Old 10-09-2018, 07:15 PM
Stripekiller
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Just curious, I hadn't seen volquartsen advertise a 17 m2 version of the summit rifle and that was the talk in the spring. I hope they're getting the bug's worked out and actually build a summit chambered in m2, I would buy one.
Old 10-09-2018, 07:50 PM
grg

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
I bought an action and already had bought the Volquartsen barrel from another member. I would love to see these guys start building more hm2's as well
Old 10-14-2018, 09:43 AM
plinker4life
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (10)
I have a early PWS Summit action. And yes there were a LOT! of people breaking pin's and linkages due to not shimming the barrel properly. And when you have a tight barrel it makes the shimming process a pain. My personal Summit receiver has worn half a dozen different barrel's and between those barrels I have had to use anywhere from 2- 6 shims. And I can tell you from experience if you run too many shims "head space too big" the toggle will unlock while firing.

In my opinion if fitting a barrel your self to this action, you want to error slightly to the too much head space side on your first try when shimming the barrel. This will keep you from breaking internals. The toggle just needs a little pressure to lock. If it seems to be snapping upon closing your head space is too tight.
Old 10-15-2018, 08:18 PM
grg

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
I'm sure some people have fitted them to tight but according to Volquartsen's letter, their complete rifles were also having the same problem. They have also said the problem was in the metal they used initially and the way they heat treated it, they have also now thickened the part at the weak point which will help. Have you noticed that there is almost no discussion of this on the net? Just wanted to say again that mine is now functioning perfectly.
Old 10-15-2018, 08:42 PM
john300exc

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
grg, do you have the upgraded bolt lever assembly?
I am also waiting on one and wondered when they might be available.
Old 10-15-2018, 08:48 PM
grg

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
As I had quite a bit of correspondence with them I had asked to get one right away so they sent me one before they were even color treated. Works great now. Did you send in your action or just waiting for them to send the part?
Old 10-15-2018, 09:21 PM
john300exc

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I am waiting for the part. I'll email them.
Thanks
Old 01-24-2019, 09:20 AM
grg

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
Trying to get motivated about this build but kind of hard to do with the cold weather. I was lucky enough to find a Klinsky stock which I had wanted to do a future 10/22 build but decided to go ahead and drop this Summit in, I will finish my walnut stock later. Fit was to tight and I had to relieve the mag well area just a little bit to get it in but is a very nice snug fit now. Would love to get out and shoot it but have been stuck in the house with all the snow.

Here it is, I think I will do a little shaping and then paint it. I was worried that it might not be that strong through the wrist area but this thing is built like a tank.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20190123_191735.jpg (493.0 KB, 13 views)
Old 01-24-2019, 09:38 AM
john300exc

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I received my new bolt assembly a while back. It is working great so far.
How much resistance do you have on bolt opening and closing? Mine takes very little force, easy with my little finger. Wonder if I should remove a shim or two?
But it is shooting great, still likes Eley and I have a bunch of it for the future.