The Tale of Two Ultimates! Full builds and info inside with my experiences Kidd vs ot - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 04-23-2017, 02:00 PM
jinx18
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
The Tale of Two Ultimates! Full builds and info inside with my experiences Kidd vs ot

So I decided to build two ultimate Ruger 10/22's in somewhat different ways and am posting this to share my experiences and hopefully help some people who have questions on the direction they should go.

The goal of these rifles:

Lightweight, fun, speed steel, plinking, and offhand range shooting. Overall all around rifles. I shoot at an indoor range which is 30 yards max, an outdoor range that is 50 yards max and sometimes get to an outdoor range that goes up to 100 yards. Most all shooting is at close ranges under 50 yards (mostly 25 and under). If I shoot further for now it is strictly for fun and not any super precision work.

Build Number 1 is a Full Kidd build.

Receiver: Kidd Classic in Black
Scope Base: Kidd 0 MOA
Red Dot: CMORE Railway Aluminum with click adjustment and 8 MOA dot
Bolt Buffer: Kidd
Charging handle, Guide Rod and Spring: Kidd Ring charging handle with Kidd guide rod and standard white spring
Bolt: Kidd Silver with Scallops
Barrel: Kidd Ultralight with 762 Fluting
V Block and screws: Kidd
Trigger: Kidd Drop in complete single stage with extended mag release lever
Trigger Pins: Kidd Threaded
Stock: Hogue .920 Nylon Black

So essentially every single part is Kidd. Has a Cmore sight on top and sits in a Hogue stock with a Ruger 10rd mag. The gun weighs 5 lbs 6 1/4 oz with everything except ammo. As for the build. Everything is Kidd and exceptional quality. Everything fits nice and tight with minimal/no slop in parts. The receiver was heated and barrel cooled for assembly so no barrel droop or loose fit. Everything is just really nice. There is not much to say other than everything is just great. Now to be nit picky. First it is Kidd and everyone has Kidd parts and guns. I'm sure many here might even have this EXACT build. So it is not exactly unique. While an amazing gun it is somewhat anti climatic as it just works flawlessly with no issues. Sounds like a strange dilemma but it is true. Also the Kidd parts are beautiful but there are definitely lighter weight options out there if you want that. Very minor nit picks. Staying with Kidd if you don't like there aesthetic you are stuck with that. I don't really like the bolt buffer. Pushing in the steel insert shifts the rubber outside. The rubber outside seems slightly​ short and has to be lined up exactly. Seems more work than it should be. Also the auto bolt release is silver with no black option.

Build Number 2 is a mix of "the best" parts starting with a stock 10/22 and building that up.

Receiver: OEM Ruger. Inside stoned smooth, barrel shank squared and cleaning hole drilled by CPC.
Scope Base: UTG Picatinny
Red Dot: Burris Fast Fire 3 with 8 MOA dot
Bolt Buffer: Volquartsen
Charging handle, Guide Rod and Spring: Kidd Ring charging handle with Kidd guide rod and standard white spring
Bolt: Kidd Silver
Barrel: Beyer 16.5"
V Block and screws: Gunsmithers Barrel Block with stock screws
Trigger: Kidd Drop in trigger job kit with Hornet Oversized Pins. Volquartsen auto bolt release.
Trigger Pins: Hornet Oversized
Stock: Hogue .920 Nylon Black

Now this build was done being more weight conscious. The Ruger receiver is lighter than most aftermarket and the OEM plastic trigger housing is lighter than the Kidd all aluminum. This gun weighs 4 lbs 14 1/8 oz with everything except ammo. With ammo it is still under 5 lbs. For those even more weight conscious a whistle pig barrel is 3/4 oz lighter and an OEM synthetic stock sanded to fit a bull barrel is 15oz lighter. So it's possible to have a complete ready to fire rifle under 4 lbs. Now about the build. I still wanted a very high quality rifle. That is why I sent the receiver out to get essentially tuned up from Randy and I still used a lot of Kidd drop in parts that I really liked. This is definitely unique in the sense that I chose all the parts. I chose each little part that I liked best. The odds of someone having the same build is very slim. Also by building this rifle piece by piece I picked out from various manufacturers, it feels much more personal then the complete Kidd build and like it has more soul. The Kidd could be an off the shelf rifle and this definitely isn't​. However for this build the parts didn't go together perfect. Things needed fitting and sanding. After first use things loosened up. It was definitely more involved. For examples. The barrel is a more normal fit. You can slide it in and out of the receiver. I decided to use the Gunsmither barrel block. That required slight filing of the barrel where the block goes. Then the block sat a little low so I had to sand the block a little. After two times shooting the set screw for the barrel came loose so I had to add blue loctite. To free-float the .920 barrel I had to sand the Hogue stock. The Kidd is .870 and didn't need sanding. This is definitely MY rifle and I know it inside and out. It was more quirky to build.

Overall it's two very unique experiences and while the Kidd is super high quality there is also a lot of joy in building exactly what you want and getting it right yourself.
IMG_20170423_122330.jpg

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Last edited by jinx18; 04-23-2017 at 02:10 PM.
Old 04-25-2017, 08:10 PM
Tyendor
US Navy Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (14)
How did you end up with the wrong speed lever on the Kidd trigger?
Old 04-25-2017, 08:39 PM
jinx18

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyendor View Post
How did you end up with the wrong speed lever on the Kidd trigger?
WOW! I didn't even know the extended lever was different for the stock trigger or the Kidd trigger. I bought the trigger with the medium length and then bought the extended later but I see no option to choose which trigger frame you have. I wonder if Kidd will sell it separate.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-25-2017, 09:21 PM
Tyendor

TPC Rating: 
100% (14)
Yes they will sell the long lever separate. I bought my 2 stage with the medium and then bought the extended version. I just checked both of their websites and can't find it though, you may have to call them and order it.

So to get the long lever you have now you had to buy the kit with both levers and the release right? That was made for the Ruger trigger guard and will go right on the one with the kit.
Old 04-25-2017, 09:25 PM
Tyendor

TPC Rating: 
100% (14)
What's the weight on the Beyer barrel? It must be lighter than the Kidd ULW.
Old 04-25-2017, 09:35 PM
jinx18

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Yes they will sell the long lever separate. I bought my 2 stage with the medium and then bought the extended version. I just checked both of their websites and can't find it though, you may have to call them and order it.

So to get the long lever you have now you had to buy the kit with both levers and the release right? That was made for the Ruger trigger guard and will go right on the one with the kit.
Correct
Quote:
What's the weight on the Beyer barrel? It must be lighter than the Kidd ULW.
The Beyer barrel weighs 18 oz on my scale. I also had a whistle pig which is slightly lighter at 17 1/4 oz. I didn't weigh the Kidd for an exact weight but I believe it is about 20oz.

Old 04-25-2017, 10:33 PM
Tyendor

TPC Rating: 
100% (14)
I found it.

http://www.kiddinnovativedesign.com/...ards_p_66.html

http://www.coolguyguns.com/KIDD-Inte...ards_p_43.html
Old 04-28-2017, 01:51 AM
bigdude
Emergency Medical Technician

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Between the Beyer, Pig Whistle and Kidd barrels, which one is the most accurate (in your opinion)?
Old 04-28-2017, 09:11 AM
jinx18

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdude View Post
Between the Beyer, Pig Whistle and Kidd barrels, which one is the most accurate (in your opinion)?
In all honesty I am shooting these with red dots and not a scope so I haven't really put them to the test to see what marginal differences there are.