Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 11-18-2004, 05:13 PM
SURFROD

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Angry Has this happen to you

Went to the range this past sunday. I was shooting groups of five shots
with my 93r17glv. and doing real good when the round decided to blow out of the neck of the shell. Thank God I was wearing safty glasses. I had the gun checked out and there nothing wrong with it. So beware there might be some Hot Loads out there.

P/S I have pictures can some one help me post them

Thank You
Old 11-18-2004, 05:39 PM
Vincent
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Glad you are ok and that you were wearing your glasses. As to "Hot Load" causing it that is probably not so (not that it makes you feel better). It probably has alot more to do with a defect in the brass case and how thw brass was drawn to shape the case. There was probably an invisable (from the out side at least) defect that coul not contain the pressure with splitting.

You do not say what brand or load you had this problem with. Hopefully you have the rest of the shells from that box or at least the box itself. You need to contact the company and explain what has happened. Chances are they are going to be very interested in investigating the problem. If they ask you to send the box, ammo and/or the defective round it might be a good idea to take a few pictures and then do as they ask. Worst case is that you will probably get a free box or two of ammo. The ammo companies really are good at following up on these problems and you would be doing EVERYONE a service by doing this. If you haven't already, Don't shoot anymore out of that box! Good luck and good shootin', Vince
Old 11-18-2004, 05:49 PM
SURFROD

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
The MFG is Remington and it was the 17 Grain vmax.
I do have pictures but do not know how to post them.
Old 11-18-2004, 05:51 PM
SURFROD

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Remington received a email from me with pictures
waiting for reply.
Old 11-18-2004, 05:54 PM
Vincent

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
I can't help you post them as that is something I'v never done but others here are likely to jump in. I know Wolf is very knowledgable about that sort of stuff.

Do contact Remington with the info. Maybe after you figure out how to post the picture you can contact them by email.
Old 11-18-2004, 06:17 PM
quickdtoo
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
To post pics, go to http://hunt101.com/ and register. Log in and choose upload at the top of the page, hit the browse button, locate the pic on your pc, hit the upload/submit button, the pic will be uploaded and saved in your gallery. At the bottom of the frame of the pic in your gallery is a URL= , copy it and paste it with your post here, the pic will then be displayed with your text in the post. Hunt101 is kinda of ify sometimes, slow server or whatever. www.photobucket.com works better but if you aren't registered yet, they only take registration a few hours a day, but they are a much better photo host, never have problems with them.

Last edited by quickdtoo; 11-18-2004 at 06:22 PM.
Old 11-18-2004, 06:37 PM
SURFROD

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thank You for your help here is the link to the pictures
Old 11-18-2004, 07:04 PM
quickdtoo
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Looks familiar...
https://rimfirecentral.com/forums/sho...ht=split+cases
Old 11-18-2004, 07:45 PM
Vincent

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Surfrod, now you see what I mean, Remington is likely to want to know this is happening. Give'em a shot at it and let's see what they do.

Couple of questions. Is this the only ammo used in the gun? Is the gun new?
Old 11-19-2004, 12:12 AM
1longshot
US Navy Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
This happened to me with Hornady 17gr Vmax a few weeks ago. I didn't really pay any mind to it. I didn't get any powder in my face. I guess I should have probably taken it more seriously but I have since lost the empty case. If it happens again I will post it.
Old 11-20-2004, 07:02 AM
SURFROD

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Sorry I did not get back to you faster. Vincent I did send a email to Remington but they did not get back to me as of yet.
quickdtoo I had power on my saftyglasses and nose. This is why they tell you to wear them.