Stove pipe issue cured in my 10/22 - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 02-18-2018, 08:13 PM
DBenn

Join Date: 
Nov 2016
Posts: 
44
TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Stove pipe issue cured in my 10/22



Log in to see fewer ads
I recently purchased a slightly used Ruger 10/22 carbine with a BX trigger. I love it for its light weight and its accuracy.
BUT I have had this nagging issue of 25% of my rounds stove piping. I have spent many hours reading here and got a ton of tips and ideas.
I have buffed, polished and basically cleaned up all the rough surfaces. I then installed an extractor and a Spartan charging handle plus the poly bolt buffer that I bought from TK.
All this brought me down to 10% of my cartridges stove piping.
Cartridges used have been CCI, CCI Mini Mags, Blazer, Winchester target black box, Federal Auto Match with the same results for them all. I even ran some Remington dirty bulk with the same results.
Now somewhere on here or maybe another site I read that the lip on the magazine was the main ejector and after observing the bolt when pulling it back it certainly is.I made sure the mag was fitting snug and secure as well. The ejector in the bolt is for when there is no mag installed.
Why do we need one on the magazine?
So what I decided to do was use one mag as a sacrificial lamb and carefully grind that lip off. I made sure I maintained the angle so as to leave material there to retain the cartridge in the magazine.
That steel casting is as hard as nails by the way.

I have put just over 300 rounds of Federal Auto Match and 100 Winchester Target through that modified magazine with NO stove piping at all even with rapid fire.
This is now a fun gun to shoot.


Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 02-18-2018, 08:21 PM
buckweet's Avatar
buckweet
US Navy Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

Join Date: 
Aug 2006
Location: 
missouri
Posts: 
5,230
TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Hey !!
That's great !!!

Did ? Or have you tried another magazine??
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 02-18-2018, 08:23 PM
jam_ppp
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

Join Date: 
Aug 2017
Location: 
NY
Posts: 
438
TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Obviously you shouldn't have to make that modification for the rifle to cycle properly.
Seems like you found a way around whatever the problem is, but the mag shouldn't be the problem... I assume your cycling issues occur with more than 1 mag?

jam
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #4  
Old 02-18-2018, 08:31 PM
DBenn

Join Date: 
Nov 2016
Posts: 
44
TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by buckweet View Post
Hey !!
That's great !!!

Did ? Or have you tried another magazine??
I have six magazines and have the issue with all of them. All OEM.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 02-18-2018, 08:39 PM
DBenn

Join Date: 
Nov 2016
Posts: 
44
TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jam_ppp View Post
Obviously you shouldn't have to make that modification for the rifle to cycle properly.
Seems like you found a way around whatever the problem is, but the mag shouldn't be the problem... I assume your cycling issues occur with more than 1 mag?

jam
For sure I agree with you.

Now today at the range one other member said he has 4 10/22s and one that even Ruger couldn't fix so they replaced it. The new one isn't perfect but better than before. His other three are all modified and have the odd stove pipe.

With six mags some have been worse than others. I tried a new one today that went through 40 rounds perfect but on the next load had two. Nothing seems consistent.

But it sure is consistent with that mod.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 02-18-2018, 08:50 PM
DBenn

Join Date: 
Nov 2016
Posts: 
44
TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I should add that the cases now all eject at 45 degrees forward. Not sideways and sometime forward as they seemed fit to do.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 02-18-2018, 08:51 PM
buckweet's Avatar
buckweet
US Navy Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

Join Date: 
Aug 2006
Location: 
missouri
Posts: 
5,230
TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Dang..
I've a bunch of 10)22s ..
I've never experienced that problem..
Maybe? Try a different bolt ?
I don't know.
I'm guessing.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 02-18-2018, 08:52 PM
rawhp's Avatar
rawhp
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

Join Date: 
Feb 2015
Location: 
USA, CA
Posts: 
1,638
TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DBenn View Post
For sure I agree with you.

Now today at the range one other member said he has 4 10/22s and one that even Ruger couldn't fix so they replaced it. The new one isn't perfect but better than before. His other three are all modified and have the odd stove pipe.

With six mags some have been worse than others. I tried a new one today that went through 40 rounds perfect but on the next load had two. Nothing seems consistent.

But it sure is consistent with that mod.
Sounds like it could be an alignment issue (like the detent in the front of the receiver where the mag inserts, or the trigger group). The mag ejector could just barely be catching enough to knock the casing loose, but not enough to pivot it out. Can you press upward on the mag while shooting and see if that helps?
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 02-18-2018, 08:56 PM
DBenn

Join Date: 
Nov 2016
Posts: 
44
TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by buckweet View Post
Dang..
I've a bunch of 10)22s ..
I've never experienced that problem..
Maybe? Try a different bolt ?
I don't know.
I'm guessing.
The other member let me try an original bolt and with a unmodified mag it stove piped twice but with the mod it didn't.

I'm not going to put in another 200 bucks on a new style bolt if this continues to work this way.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 02-18-2018, 09:44 PM
PhilF
Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

Join Date: 
Apr 2017
Location: 
Central Pennsylvania
Posts: 
314
TPC Rating: 
100% (5)
Might work

Can't say I've ever had a stovepipe jam, I have 3 10-22's, one that will get test fired this week, the other 2 have Kidd bolts, auto-bolt releases and I did replace the magazine latches in all 3 as the magazines seemed to be a tad loose, the Kidd magazine latch and it's slightly stronger spring seems to lock the magazine in much tighter, with less play/movement. For about $7 it may hold the magazine a bit higher, helping the ejector on the magazine sit higher. You also might try taking out the latch & stretching the spring a bit to increase the latch tension.

Phil
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 02-18-2018, 09:58 PM
DBenn

Join Date: 
Nov 2016
Posts: 
44
TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rawhp View Post
Sounds like it could be an alignment issue (like the detent in the front of the receiver where the mag inserts, or the trigger group). The mag ejector could just barely be catching enough to knock the casing loose, but not enough to pivot it out. Can you press upward on the mag while shooting and see if that helps?
All my mags fit tight and I have pressed the mag up while shooting. I have also shimmed then to make sure they don't move.
Hand cycling the case always seems to hit perfect on the mag ejector as well.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 02-18-2018, 10:04 PM
DBenn

Join Date: 
Nov 2016
Posts: 
44
TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilF View Post
Can't say I've ever had a stovepipe jam, I have 3 10-22's, one that will get test fired this week, the other 2 have Kidd bolts, auto-bolt releases and I did replace the magazine latches in all 3 as the magazines seemed to be a tad loose, the Kidd magazine latch and it's slightly stronger spring seems to lock the magazine in much tighter, with less play/movement. For about $7 it may hold the magazine a bit higher, helping the ejector on the magazine sit higher. You also might try taking out the latch & stretching the spring a bit to increase the latch tension.

Phil

This is a $435.00 CDN gun and I'm not putting another $300.00 CDN into it. If I wanted or needed that I would have bought a $700.00 dollar gun. Probably wouldn't have had this problem either.
It seems from many threads on this site stove piping is and was an issue with them.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 02-18-2018, 10:12 PM
rawhp's Avatar
rawhp
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

Join Date: 
Feb 2015
Location: 
USA, CA
Posts: 
1,638
TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DBenn View Post
All my mags fit tight and I have pressed the mag up while shooting. I have also shimmed then to make sure they don't move.
Hand cycling the case always seems to hit perfect on the mag ejector as well.
Well, i guess if you have a solution, then just have fun shooting !!!
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 02-18-2018, 10:22 PM
minuteshaver

Join Date: 
May 2017
Posts: 
425
TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
on that mag modification,

does it change how it handles SHORTS or LONGS?


Only time I had stove pipes was when I used shorts from the magazine without a full sized 22lr underneath to act as feed ramp.

ejecting empties was fine, but ejecting a loaded short would usually plop it between the bolt and magazine opposite the big ejection port..
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 02-18-2018, 10:35 PM
DBenn

Join Date: 
Nov 2016
Posts: 
44
TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rawhp View Post
Well, i guess if you have a solution, then just have fun shooting !!!
Exactly!

I was just chatting with another range member and he has 10 mags he said I could play with. He said he just accepted his 10/22 having the odd stove pipe and blames it on the ammunition.

So before I mod anymore I will play with his.

But I go in for rotator cuff surgery in 8 days and won't be shooting for at least 8 weeks.
At least it will be nice and warm to start playing again.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off




All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:12 PM.

Privacy Policy

DMCA Notice

Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimisation provided by DragonByte SEO (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright 2000-2018 RimfireCentral.com
x