Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

Federal HV Match #719

5K views 27 replies 20 participants last post by  jaia 
#1 · (Edited)
Hey All...anyone have anyhting positive or negative re this ammo.?? Am thinking it may be OK for 100 meter rimfire silhouette Ram TGT..what say ye all..??
Thanks..
Pete

#6 ·
Works for me

It does pretty well at 100 yards through my CZ455 UltraLux (28.66"): several lots produced 3"~4" centered five-round groups.

The rifle is zeroed at 50 yards with HV ammo, and this group was shot with the tangent set at '100.' Fifty-round Extreme Spread for this lot was 66 fps, Standard Deviation was 13.93 fps, and Mean Velocity was 1,114 fps.

Attachments

#9 ·
Federal #719 is an ammo that can produce deceptively good statistics. I have had some 5 and 10 shot strings show ES's of 10-15fps, with boxes of 50 attain ES's of 40-50fps. However, even with that momentary consistency, it rarely shows up on the target. As others have said, both Target 711B and HV Match 719 have bullets that have small dings all over them, so there is little consistency there. It is kind of sad because I think that if Federal used more consistent bullets, it could have the potential to compete with the European HV lines (I said compete, not beat- haha).

#10 ·
As I mentioned about a month ago, somewhere, maybe here, I loaded up ten of Calamity's Ruger mags one night before our shoot the next morning. After running a box of mags (18 in a box) of her favorite plinking CCI Tacts, she went to work on the Fed HV Match 719 in her second box of mags. I was hoping she would like them as I have about a case in bricks that I have bought now and then, but haven't tried them lately. It was absolutely amazing how awful they were. Boom, bang, pop, FTE, and I thought it was her rifle at first so I gave her another rifle. Same thing. I tried them in two of my Rugers, and same thing. Next shoot I even tried a brick of a different lot # and same thing. We both hate just about anything made by Fed, but at least they shot reasonably consistent, if inaccurate. Not these. So, these are in a box right now, for give aways. I still can't believe the sound of them. They remind me of Win M-22's when they first came out. Boom, bang, pop. :(

#12 ·
i don't know about the new stuff. i picked up some about two years ago to test in two different marlin 39a that are setup for lever action silhouette. i tested the 719 against sk+, sk HV, cci mini mag, and blazer ammo. what i found in my two rifles is 719 is just as good as sk HV, cci mini mag, and blazer. sk+ is the best but in my area it will ring rams and sometime pigs. the grouping on chickens and pigs are touching. on turkeys about a dine size area and rams it open to a 50 cent size group.

federal calls 719 match hv ammo and what i can tell from my chronograph it runs the same as federal automatch.

buy some and test it to see if your rifle likes it. when i run out of sk HV i am going to use cci mini mags 40 gr ammo.

#16 ·
Federal automatch is 719 that didn't make the QC cut. It is basically the same load. My old Win 52 likes it ok. never have any fail to fires and it stays under 2" at 100 yds for me. I find it's good ammo, just like every other 22lr, you have to find what your rifle likes. I do a "homemade hollow point"on them. makes them a bit more accurate and better for game....
My old 52 REALLY likes the old blue/white box Fed ultramatch UM1, it'll stay under an inch with that....

DPSTX

#18 · (Edited)
You have to find what your rifle likes...give me a second...hmmmm.

Okay, what does my rifle like? Not really sure... I tried them all.

Well, I know what it doesn't like. :eek:

Large differences in muzzle velocities caused by variations in primer amounts.

Fail to fires caused by lack of primer in the rim.

Case ruptures due to brass defects.

Out of spec cartridge dimensions that won't allow chambering, or are loose in the chamber.

Poorly seated bullets that are tilted relative to the centerline of the cartridge.

Dented or stovepiped cartridges.

Bullets which are dented, dinged, scratched, damaged with smeared driving bands/cannelures.

Bullets with damaged heels. No, you can't see the heels, but if the nose is beat to heck, so is the heel.

Poorly crimped cartridges, that change the shape of the bullet.

So by knowing what my rifle doesn't like, how do I find what it does like?

I really have tried them all. Every brand of 22lr available.
From the absolute cr*p to the most expensive made.
What my rifle likes is cartridges with the least amount of defects
and extremely tight muzzle velocities. Buying by brand hasn't been useful.
A brick of brand "A" that was purchased last month, produced outstanding results.
The brick purchased to replace it is barely plinking ammo.
Finding well made 22lr seems to be a problem.

No two boxes are the same, or produce the same results,
unless I keep my targets really close to the muzzle. :rolleyes:

#21 ·
How do hi-v and match go together?
It could be done....in fact it has been.
Special run by Eley and RWS for a ballistics study.
Hi V and standard velocity 22lr used by McCoy in his report on match grade 22lr ballistics.
His conclusion... insignificant difference in accuracy with the two types.
And, no problems caused by supersonic transition. :eek:

#23 ·
Just shot some yesterday along side some Norma Tac-22 in my Mauser 201. The Norma won by a mile. The HV produced 1.25" groups compared to .5" groups from the Norma. Glad I only had one box of the stuff. Still...it is suitable for squirrels. But, I prefer eyeball shot squirrels.

#24 ·
i thought the rule was when it past the speed of sound it destabilizes the bullet ,hence std Vel is always the match grade stuff.~~JMJ~~ seems to work that way in my pile of 22s

#25 · (Edited)
The study everyone points to, was done on the Sierra Match King boat tail hollow point.
A long slender needle nose tail heavy projectile. As the pressure wave shifts forward during the transition
it causes the tail heavy bullet to yaw/pitch and sometimes tumble, as was shown in the ballistics lab study.
McCoy did an additional study on match grade 22lr and found that supersonic 22lr did not produce that problem.
His conclusion was that the difference in accuracy between match grade standard velocity 22lr and match grade hi-v 22lr
was "insignificant" Page 11, paragraph 5 of his report. See the link below...

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1zutVBoruUajY48xr3YGAG_oD_pMjOEO9

The problem with hi-v 22lr is it is all bulk ammunition. Minimal quality control.
You can't expect accuracy from 22lr ammo that looks like it was dropped onto a pile of gravel and kicked around. :(

The only difference between similarly made hi-v and subsonic 22lr is hi-v shows a slight increase in wind drift, that's all.
No loss of accuracy if the bullets are made the same and only mv is different.

Folks using the transonic shift as an excuse for poor results with 22lr, need to take a closer look at their ammo.

Do you really think bullets like these are going to produce consistent trajectories?
Look at all those dents/dings/sloppy drive bands. If the nose of the bullet is beat to heck, so is the heel.
No way are you going to get repeatable trajectories from cr*p ammo.

#28 · (Edited)
Vast? Nope. Not at all, Rick.
A bit more than some, a lot less than those who've been at it for most of their lives.
I read everything available here at RFC and elsewhere on the web, recommended to improve accuracy,
try it for myself and determine if it works, or if it is just so much wishful thinking.
When I need information that I can't find, I ask. Most of the knowledgeable shooters
I've communicated with, are more than willing to point me in the right direction.
Been very lucky in that they take the time to share what they've learned.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.