Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

Kidd single stage trigger or Volquartsen TG2000?

6K views 36 replies 18 participants last post by  theburg2014 
#1 ·
The use: Benchrest target shooter in a bull barrel built 10/22. Wanting to upgrade from the home tuned factory plastic trigger group.

Should I get the Kidd single stage trigger for $200 or the Volquartsen TG2000 for $150? Is the Kidd worth an extra $50?

Can the pre travel and over travel adjustments on the TG2000 be adjusted down to make it close to a single stage?

#2 ·
Kidd. I have single and two stage versions, best triggers on the market in my opinion.
I have other brands of parts kits and ones done by myself with a Power Custom stoning jig with OEM parts. They are good but the Kidd is easily adjustable and perfectly fitted, that makes a big difference.

#4 ·
Should I get the Kidd single stage trigger for $200 or the Volquartsen TG2000 for $150? Is the Kidd worth an extra $50?
If you want the trigger to come in at less than 2 pounds, probably.

Can the pre travel and over travel adjustments on the TG2000 be adjusted down to make it close to a single stage?
The TG2000 is already a single stage trigger.

#7 ·
It's apples to rotten apples comparison.. KIDD is crisp.. the other is not garbage but not much better than a home brew trigger job on a OEM trigger.. I have 2 VQ units sitting here on the shelf that the owners abandoned after I dropped in the KIDDS. ;) Pretty EZ decision.

#8 ·
I used to have 2 of the VQ trigger groups. That was a while back before I tried my first Kidd Trigger Job Kit. I've since acquired 2 of the Kidd 2 stage, 3 single stage, and 6 trigger kits. All of them (kit included) are better than the VQ. My VQ's have now been sold off for less than half of what I paid for them. To be honest if I could get the VQ for $50 and the Kidd for $200 I would still choose the Kidd.

#9 · (Edited)
I have the TG2000 trigger in my Volquarstsen Fusion.
Nice trigger, but not the greatest.
I think photos jazz up any thread.:)

I have both the KIDD single stage and 2 stage that I use in my KIDD Supergrade.
The single stage is much crisper with a lighter trigger pull (1.5lbs), and a shorter take up and reset than the VQ.
No contest really.
I use mine for Steel Challenges.

However if you can swing it, I highly recommend the KIDD 2 Stage for Benchrest use, and I would have it set at no more the 5/5oz's. The single stage at 1.5lbs is way too high for bench use.
Mine is set at 3/3ozs.
No contest for benchrest use, and note that the KIDD 2 stage is a completely different, and much more sophisticated trigged than the single stage.
I like the engineering of the 2 stage so much, that I use it for my Avatar.:)

Not quite as good as my Anschutz 5018 trigger, but in the same ball park.

Smooth

#18 ·
I am partial to volquartsen customs since they are a local more or less shop... they are 40 minutes from me and when I bought my target hammer from there they installed it and I got a custom trigger job free of charge.... I LIKE IT!! :bthumb::bthumb:

#24 · (Edited)
Correct, I'm looking for a trigger for my benchrest build. Mostly target shooting 37-62 yards. The lighter trigger pull weight is for less shifting during firing. The single stage is just what I prefer, one clean break and reset.

Is there something else you recommend for this use?

#26 ·
Nothing wrong with a Kidd single stage trigger. I agree it is not a Kidd 2 stage which can be set on 3/3oz. But if you can shoot you can turn in some impressive 5 shot groups. These were back to back at 100yds no cherry picking 10 straight shots with a Kidd single stage trigger.

#29 ·
edge to edge measuring flaw

Your bullet is not .224 diameter and more important the holes it makes are smaller, so how do you know where the true edge starts? This measuring method is flawed. I personally measure center to center with calipers, a lot better chance to estimate center than edge. But software measuring is even better. I assume your target sticker was 1" given that actual group is 0.38" still impressive though!

Attachments

#32 ·
I said the method is flawed, not so much because you're subtracting .224 but because the hole it punches is not a clean hole like from a wadcutter where you can clearly measure edge to edge but because a round nose bullet will make a smaller hole and therefore you cannot accurately measure that using the edge. The one example of one hole doesn't prove anything. Use the target with multiple shots and see for yourself. P.S. What does the number next to tuner mean and does your tuner make a big difference?

#33 ·
Kidd single stage trigger or Volq. TG2000

Hey, what length was the Shilen barrel, and what diameter, and was it the match version blank that was fitter to the Suhl. I have a Suhl 150 with 1 in 19 barrel, 26 inches long, and am thinking about the 4 ratchet, Shilen, of .950 diameter, and a tuner as well. That "one hole" grouping is nice. Now if you can only read the wind, and pull the trigger well to match? Yehaw

#34 ·
The number is the tuner setting. Yes a tuner will help to make a very good accurate barrel even more accurate and consistent if barrel is tuned with tuner at right spot. I have 5 Kidd 20" bead blast stainless barrels. I have put same tuner on 2 of them. I can set tuner to 186 and both will shoot dang near identical. I see no reason why it won't be applicable for the other 3 barrels.

#35 ·
The Shilen barrel I think is 24". It is a killer. I have only shot this gun still 1 time. I shot about 3 boxes through it. Did that group after switching to Eley Match black box on about the midway point of 2nd box. I put gun up after that and haven't shot it since. I need to shoot it more, but I just fish too much.

#36 ·
I will add when I received Suhl from Tommy on here it was set at setting 53 shooting Lapua Midas and his groups were awesome. So I knew it was very close. I played around with tuner going up and down just a little and ended up on setting 57 when I shot that almost perfect one holer above. Hope that helps.

All a tuner does is controls the vibration of a barrel so that bullet leaves barrel the same each exact time of the same vibration wavelength. Bill Calfee said a barrel could be tuned to stop muzzle. I myself don't know that. But I do know they work.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.