Back on the Ruger Horse - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 06-19-2019, 12:33 AM
rjferber
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Back on the Ruger Horse

I had a credit at the LGS and couldn't talk myself into using it as a down payment on something I really wanted so I kept looking at this Ruger Mark III Target 5.5" barrel (Blued version) in the used gun section. It was a reasonable price so against my "Never Buy Another Ruger Mark xxx Again" attitude - I had (3) previous Mark III Hunter, Competition, & Target SS models. I went ahead and bought it. To it's credit it has the larger target grips which fit my hand much better and it appeared to be used very little, if at all. It was very clean with no scratches or scraps on the back of the grip so it spent most of it's life in the cardboard box it came in or was never cleaned, however the action was spotless as well.

Being a Ruger, I figured it would have a disappointing trigger and that proved to be the case as it was just over 5 lbs, very gritty, and about the only way I could have shot any decent groups would have been to clamp it in a vise.

I did a bit of reading on the RFC & other reviews and decided to give Volquartsen some business so I ordered their Mark II Pistol Competition Kit, Recoil Rod & Spring Kit, and the Hammer Strut Support and decided to let them do the upgrade. I upgraded the front sight with a TRUGLO Fiber Optic green sight and the LGS gave me a deal on (3) extra mags.

I got the receiver & bolt back today, installed the Hammer Strut Support (that was Easy Peasy) which should prove useful in the assembly process, and swapped out the Recoil Rod & spring (Easy Peasy #2). The Volquartsen Accurizing Kit brought the trigger to a very usable level with a little take-up, comfortable feel, and a crisp break just under 2 lbs. I like the shape of the Volquartsen trigger over the standard Ruger offering as it has less curve and fits my finger better.

I still needed a hard rubber mallet to disassemble & reassemble. what can I say it's a Ruger. I have (12) other rimfire semi-autos, (19) centerfire semi-autos, & (6) revolvers and none of those need a hammer for the disassembly or reassembly process. Oh well, I now have an over priced Ruger Mark III that looks decent, has a decent trigger, feels okay in my hand . . . so the only thing left is to see how it shoots. The reflex sight is an inexpensive one I had laying around so we will start with that and upgrade later unless I just revert to open sights which is another option.

I will update with a range session report after I put a few rounds through it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg RugerMark III.jpg (550.7 KB, 20 views)

Last edited by rjferber; 06-22-2019 at 08:52 PM. Reason: Update the photo
Old 06-19-2019, 11:35 AM
mk2nut

TPC Rating: 
100% (11)
Very nice looking pistol. Enjoy.
Old 06-19-2019, 11:40 AM
wproct

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Very nice! My stainless MKII is set up about the same way with Volquartsen trigger etc. and Tru Glo front sight.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-22-2019, 08:41 PM
rjferber

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
First Range Session

I added a TK Halo charging handle which makes working the bolt much easier ( in several circumstances). Headed off to the range yesterday and put about 150 rounds through it including Winchester T22 (20 year old stuff), CCI Std Velocity, and Norma Match 22. No problems running through any of the 150 rounds. I was shooting off-hand using the reflex red dot @ 15 yards (10 shot groups). . . needless to say my off-hand skills still need some work. The numbers on the targets are 1" as a reference point.

Interesting - the images rotated when uploaded.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Target-1.jpg (499.9 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg Target-2.jpg (509.1 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg Target-3.jpg (499.6 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg Target-4.jpg (498.9 KB, 17 views)

Last edited by rjferber; 06-22-2019 at 08:51 PM. Reason: Add Photos
Old 11-12-2019, 02:20 AM
Racer X
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
96% (25)
if you put some grease or anti-sieze up under the 2 lugs that hold on the upper, it will go on and off easier. not perfect, but it will help, and it will get easier the more it comes apart/assembled.

The front sight base screw sometimes needs a drop of blue loctite as it can vibrate loose from shooting. After I degreased everything and used a drop, it has never again vibrated off.
Old 11-28-2019, 12:14 PM
Redlegvzv

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Great looking Mark III. Love those grips.
I always have the Gunsmither Tool and a rubber mallet at my side when I disassemble my Marks. Don't always need 'em but always great to have 'em. I can strip a Mark in under a minute. It's no big deal. We can't get Mark IVs here in Democrat-Occupied California, so I have quite a stable of Mark I, II, IIIs. Love 'em all.
Old 11-28-2019, 05:34 PM
RickClark28

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Good looking Mark III. The grips really stand out. Good to hear your range test came out good for you.
Old 12-04-2019, 12:57 PM
rjferber

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Added a Ruger Mark III Target SS.

I found a Ruger Mark III Target SS (NIB) that a LGS was closing out for $325. I found a set of used grips and added the same upgrades as I did on the Mark III Target (Blued) listed above. With Volquartsen's Black Friday deal I got the Competition Kit and installed it last Sunday afternoon. I did not set any speed records for installation, but it turned out well and functioned as expected during a range test yesterday. So we now have a nice pair of Ruger Mark III's that I can use in my (Me, Myself, & I) heads up competitions.

This one needs a rubber hammer for the takedown & re-assembly as well.

I think Santa is going to provide a pair of LCI replacement blanks . . . not that I have ever had any issues with an LCI in any way.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Ruger Mark II SS.jpg (404.3 KB, 3 views)
Old 12-05-2019, 01:53 PM
RickClark28

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Another solid looking gem of a Mark III. Another homerun on the grips on this one as well. Congratulations! Enjoy.
Old 12-06-2019, 10:05 AM
WilCox
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Very nice stainless target. I particularly like the grips you put on it.

The few stainless MKIII's that I've owned in the past each needed a rubber mallet to disassemble and reassemble. They were a real pain. I'm not talking taps with the mallet either, I'm talking firm strikes. On the other hand, my stainless MKII Comp comes apart and goes back together easily with only a wire loop to open the mainspring lever. I would bet your MKIII will loosen up over time.

Does the VQ recoil rod and spring kit make the action smoother? Increase reliability? Both?
Old 12-07-2019, 09:43 PM
rjferber

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Ruger Mark III Target Blue & SS

Since I picked up both Mark III's ( Blued & SS ) at a good price, I felt adding the Volquartsen Competition Kit was a reasonable investment. My primary goal was to improve the trigger as both were very rough and well over 5 lbs. Removing the magazine disconnect was second on the list as I felt that added to trigger pull and I prefer to run without the magazine disconnect. In both cases, the installation of the kit improved the trigger pull to 2 lbs so I am pleased with the results. The Volquartsen parts are finished & polished to a level that I could never have achieved working on the Ruger parts.

Comparing the two Mark III's I feel the frame of the (blued) version was put together and finished much better than the ( SS ) version. It is smoother and has less visible wear marks on the action parts from the 200 rounds I have shot in each one thus far. I should probably take a couple of hours and work on the SS bolt & chamber as it still feels a bit rough compared to the blued model. Shooting 500-1000 more rounds through each will help smooth out the action parts as well.

My initial range session with both Mark III's had the blued version easily the better shooter, however, the blued model had the Competition Kit installed and the SS model was unmodified at the time. I also did not have the new target grips on the SS model so the grip in my hand was different. Now both will be on the same level so I am looking forward to the 2nd head to head session.

I will provide another update once I get the next head to head session completed.
Old 12-08-2019, 10:21 AM
snooker

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
My Mk III has been apart hundreds of times: always needs good firm strikes with the mallet. It has NEVER gotten easier to dissassemble. My son bought me a MkIV, Love it!