Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

Adopting Irish Bob H.D.Military problem child.

917 views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  bullstone 
#1 ·
I am adopting Irish Bobs problem child H.D.Military and hope to be successful in getting it to boom the first pull of the trigger. After several conversations it seems Bob tried to cure the problem by addressing the detent on the hammer, I feel the more he polished and worked on the hammer the more he removed some metal and reduced the impact capability of the hammer strike on the firing pin. I plan on replacing the hammer to increase the strike on the firing pin and hopefully solving the problem.
I plan on calling Alan at Interarms Tx and getting a new hammer.
Can someone walk me thru replacing the hammer or guide me to a diagram ? This H.D. has the hole in the rear of the frame under the hammer to get to the main spring .Any help and comments would be gratefully appreciated.

Thanks Bullstone

#2 · (Edited)
HS Type II frame disassembly and reassembly

I wrote this procedure to disassemble and reassemble the frame components on a High Standard pistol with the type II takedown system. This applies to the H-D Military and similar pistols. To remove the hammer, you don't need to remove the trigger and related parts (steps 8,9,&10), or steps 13,14,&15.

1. remove the magazine and slide.

2. remove the grip panels, and the slide release and spring.

3. remove the screw holding the safety lever onto the frame. The lever will come off.

4. remove the sideplate (43-H) by lifting it from the lower edge and slide it downwards off of the frame. The takedown lever pin end needs to slide out of the notch in the side plate.

5. remove the flat spring (42-H) and trigger bar (41-H).

6. remove the takedown lever (59-AB).

7. remove the slide stop lug (56), plunger (57), and plunger spring (58).

8. insert a pin punch into the hole above the trigger pivot pin on the right side of the frame. Wiggle the trigger a little so that the punch goes in some.

9. push the punch inwards to push out the trigger pull pin (64-H).

10. Use a punch from the left side to remove the trigger pivot pin. This will allow the trigger to be removed, and the trigger plunger and trigger plunger spring. Note: the spring and plunger will pop out when the trigger is removed.

11. Cock the hammer. Insert a 3/32 pin punch into the hole in the upper portion of the rear grip strap. The punch should go in about parallel to the grip strap. The end of the pin will be above the mainspring plunger. The idea is to capture the end of the mainspring plunger with the pin punch to remove spring tension from the hammer strut. Carefully release the hammer forward by releasing the sear. At the same time push the pin punch in to maintain control of the mainspring. The hammer should now move without spring tension.

12. tap out the hammer pin from the left to the right. Remove the hammer and strut.

13. tap out the sear pin from the left to the right. Remove the sear, sear spring, and sear spring plunger.

14. remove the mainspring by pulling out the pin punch. It is good to control the end of the spring while doing this by using a tool to push the mainspring downward to keep it from flying out. Or just turn the frame over so the opening is on the bench and pull the punch out.

15. remove the magazine release pin, magazine release, and spring.

Assembly is the reverse of the above.

#3 ·
HSWAYNE:

Thanks for the instruction sheet ,for my own education and I not being able to find a good schematic or video on the disassembly ,I have one question : how does the hammer strut connect to the main spring ? does it insert into the mainspring when the hammer is reinserted upon assembly? sorry for my ignorance but I am trying to envision how it looks with out a diagram and also not having the HD in front of me.
If you can direct me to a good schematic it would be appreciated.

Thanks bullstone

#4 ·
hammer strut

Here is a link to the instruction manual for the H-D: http://www.histandard.info/manuals/hampistols/0116D1200HP.pdf .

There is a mainspring plunger (26-H) that fits into the upper end of the mainspring (25-H). The end of the hammer strut (17-H) simply fits into a depression on the top of the mainspring plunger. When the hammer and strut are removed, the strut just comes away from the mainspring plunger.

#5 · (Edited)
If you have a Ruger, the hammer strut sits into the mainspring plunger (that is new also) just like when you reassembly any Ruger Mark pistol. It's very obvious once you see it, and using the hole in the back of the frame to hold the mainspring down is the key.

I did it 2x without instruction (HS Wayne's detailed instruction...too little too late!). I just take a picture of everything each time I take a part of the pistol off so I have something to refer to.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.