cmp elevation change?? - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 09-04-2018, 08:48 PM
660grizzlyguy

TPC Rating: 
100% (6)
cmp elevation change??

When sighted in at 50 yds., do you have to adjust your scope to go to 25 yds? sighted in prone with tight sling and the offhand setting seems to be OK without any adjustment. Is that normal?
Old 09-04-2018, 09:14 PM
NuJudge
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
For scope sighted rifle, I'm close

For scope sighted rifle, my 50 yard zero (shot first) and 25 yard zero are close. What I have found works for me with a scope is for y 50 yard target hold on the white of the X-ring, and for the 25 yard target hold just over the white of the X ring.

For open-sighted irons, my sight settings are quite different.
Old 09-05-2018, 10:23 AM
navybowhunter
US Navy Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join! Appleseed Rifleman

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
CMP elevation change?

Are you referring to the CMP Rimfire Sporter matches?

I'll assume you are.

With a 50 yard zero, you should be fine shooting at 25 yards. Considering the shooting at 25 yards is from the standing position, rapid fire and slow fire standing.

The zero shift ballistically, is approximately .25 MOA as a rule of thumb. But lets use .5 MOA for this.

.5 MOA equals 1/8" at 25 yards, and 1/4" at 50 yards.

If you can HOLD or discern within your hold 1/8" while shooting standing, that is pretty awesome.

My zero does shift from positions. My prone zero is different than my seated zero, and is also different (significantly) from my standing zero at the same yard line.

So, for Sporter type matches, you get 5 minutes (from memory?) for unlimited sighters at 50 yards. I'd just zero from prone at 50 and call it good.

If when shooting standing, during the match you notice your shots grouping elsewhere, move the sights then and remember that as it will be your standing position 25 yard zero.

Best bet is to see what your personal position zeros are at distances in the different positions.

It's a pretty big target, the ten ring is 1.76 inches. That is 7 MOA at 25 yards! 3.5 MOA at 50 yards. Consider that, and it is really not that big a deal.

Hope the above helps.

Last edited by navybowhunter; 09-05-2018 at 10:25 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-05-2018, 07:22 PM
jnyork
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (22)
Almost everyone has a different "zero" when going to offhand from prone or vice versa. I have to come up two minutes when moving to offhand.
Old 09-06-2018, 10:31 PM
660grizzlyguy

TPC Rating: 
100% (6)
couldn't remember

Been awhile since I shot a CMP rimfire match, and was verifying my zero in positions, and expected to need an adjustment when going to standing, but looks unnecessary. Sling tension when using a synthetic stocked CZ 452, really messed things up. Now I'm using a laminated stock with the rear bedding lug on a 10/22, and the stock is stout enough to eliminate that zero wandering problem. Thanks for confirming my findings, thought I might be missing something.
Old 09-09-2018, 10:18 AM
navybowhunter
US Navy Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join! Appleseed Rifleman

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
660Grizzly:

I have had zero shifts in Sporter matches from range to range. Most of that is due to environmental conditions. I remember the National Match at Perry in 2016, I even had to put windage on the rifle! It was brutal conditions, as I hear it also was this year.

The 5 minute sighter period at 50 yards oughta be used to adjust the zero. I am considering next time I shoot one...to get some sighters in seated as well. I know in High Power Rifle at 200 yards, my seated zero is way different (3 MOA ish) from my standing zero.

These matches are a blast for sure!
Old 09-11-2018, 06:11 PM
PMY
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! Appleseed Rifleman

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
My T-Class rifle shoots the same zero at 50 as it does at 25 in offhand. Or close enough that I don't need to make an adjustment.

My Tactical Class rifle, I need to come up 6 clicks when I move from 50 to 25.

So if you're shooting your first match with new rifle, probably best to check both zeros thoroughly before you go. Or hope you can hold really hard and make a good call on your first shot offhand, and adjust from there. Hopefully, if you waste a shot before you find your offhand zero, it's only that first one!
Old 09-13-2018, 03:55 PM
660grizzlyguy

TPC Rating: 
100% (6)
Was worried for nothing. Took a couple clicks at the sighter target and was good to go. Enough wind that some shooters had sandbags on the corners of their mats to keep them from blowing around. Target frames were blowing/wiggling around too. Fun match.
Old 09-13-2018, 04:32 PM
flangster

TPC Rating: 
100% (34)
I shot a sporter match this summer -- CZ Ultra Lux with open sights. My own sweat and wobble were much more of a big deal than the sight adjustment. But the trusty UL does have a rear sight ramp that slides easily between 25 and 50 yards. Not that it helped keep me in the 10-ring . . . .