Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 04-05-2019, 04:07 PM
Darrell Davis
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
HOT BRASS!

Shooting my Mark II - Slab Side - with the Volquartsen guts this past Sunday afternoon at a Slow, Timed, Rapid 50' match and some how got a piece of brass down the back of my neck.

Woooowe does that smart! Nothing to do but just suck it up and keep shooting until time is called.

Doubt it did much good for my score!

Not sure how that happened, there are screens between each snooting position and the fellow on my left was shooting a Olympic match pistol with .22 shorts.

The down the back of the neck brass was a longer "L.R." brass.

Must have been my own brass! Must have bounced off the screen and then down the neck.

Didn't pay much attention later, until Wed morning when I saw a read streak on my neck just below the collar level. That piece of HOT .22LR brass gave me a 2nd degree burn. An inch or inch and a half long, the brass must have danced around a bit

Anyway, now I know what all the dancing around is about when I see a YouTube video of a gal getting hot brass down their neck!

YES I DO!

By the way, those Volquartsen trigger and sear parts are a nice addition to the Mark II.

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot
Old 04-05-2019, 04:25 PM
Eric300
Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (16)
Pretty fun, huh? Try being proned out on a firing line and have hot 5.56mm brass do the same thing. That'll leave a mark!
Old 04-05-2019, 04:42 PM
Darrell Davis

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
OH, YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

CDOC
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-05-2019, 04:55 PM
rosscoe

TPC Rating: 
100% (36)
My Sister got one down the shirt when my Dad was shooting an H-D military. This was about 65 years ago,funny how one remembers these things.I'll bet Darrell will never forget either.

Last edited by rosscoe; 04-05-2019 at 04:59 PM.
Old 04-05-2019, 05:09 PM
SLS

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
I have the same gun. It does like to throw brass. Anyway, I always wear a baseball hat now after having a hot case bounce twice and ending up falling down behind my glasses landing on my cheek. Left a blister on my face for a week.
Old 04-05-2019, 06:30 PM
Darrell Davis

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
The price we sometimes pay for FUN!

Plan to be back at it come Sunday afternoon.

I'm pushing on the door to 76, that mile stone coming in a few days and I noted some strain in the right arm during this past week's shoot. Hmmmmm?

During the winter a year ago I was trying to remove a big heavy snow/ice curl moving off the roof of our patio cover. Well, when it came loose, it instantly threw me backwards landing me on my back and right shoulder on a concrete step.

Ouch and hey, that shoulder has already had one surgery and doesn't need another, so I spent the pre season time hoisting a big chili can when watching TV, so as to build up the strength in that arm and shoulder.

Thankfully the rotor cuff wasn't torn again, but you can bet I was a lot more careful this past winter when removing those snow curls!

Anyway. working on that arm as I have a RUGER Mark II calling my name!

Having so much fun shooting the course and want to do it as long as I can!

By the way, part way through last shooting season, I mounted a Leupold Red Dot on the Slab Side. WOW, is that ever nice! The whole combination shoots just so much better then I do, but allows me room to grow!

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot

Last edited by Darrell Davis; 04-05-2019 at 06:35 PM.
Old 04-06-2019, 07:54 PM
Longhair1957
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Many years ago, like in the early 80’s.
I had an AR flip a hot brass, and it went right in between my glasses frame and my temple. And it burned a nice 5.56 shape on my temple. I mean you could look at it and clearly see a bottle necked cartridge brand.
Old 04-06-2019, 08:02 PM
Basrem

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I will never wear penny loafers at the range again Got 22 brass down in one of them once 1994 never forget
Old 04-06-2019, 08:21 PM
Blackwolfe
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! Appleseed Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (11)
Somehow got a piece of .45 acp brass under my glasses and it laid up just under my eye where the glasses kept it trapped. That one hurt.
Old 04-06-2019, 09:24 PM
edlmann
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Was shooting a new Colt 70-series 1911. My Dad looked over and said, "freeze." I'm thinking snake, or scorpion, but a .45 case had landed standing up on the bill of my cap. Turned out that pistol wanted to put empties right between my eyes. Did not help my flinch.
Old 04-22-2019, 12:00 PM
bronicabill

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
After more than one range session where I had hot brass land on top of my glasses against my forehead, I've learned to NEVER go shooting without a ball cap on! Doesn't matter whether I'm "only" shooting .22's or my AR which throws the brass plenty far away, I'm not taking that chance again!
Old 04-22-2019, 12:14 PM
timberbeast

TPC Rating: 
100% (39)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackwolfe View Post
Somehow got a piece of .45 acp brass under my glasses and it laid up just under my eye where the glasses kept it trapped. That one hurt.

I've had 22 brass sneak in under my safety glasses, and that was bad enough. Had a nice little 1" long blister under my eye for a few days.
Old 04-22-2019, 03:15 PM
truckjohn

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
The one that drove me nuts was a gung-ho ROTC fellow who was throwing 9mm brass all over me and down my shirt. I asked the guy to trade benches with me but the fine fellow insisted he was fine.

Next time he gets up to to roaring away with his 9mm and throws more brass all over me while I am setting up with my 30-06. It's loaded up with Hornady light mag rounds that throw a giant fireball.... I ease the muzzle back while he is up at the front of his bench throwing more brass all over me and let one go... Huge muzzle blast rocks the guy.

He looks over kinda dazed... Goes back to gung-ho throwing brass all over me with his 9mm.. So I let another 30-06 go just as he is settled in and not paying attention..... After 5 or 6 more like this - he looks pretty dazed and finally decides he doesn't need to show his buddies how hard-core he is.... And he is flinching and pulling shots bad now - a lot of rounds are going into the dirt when the '06 goes off next to him... finally packs up and leaves. He never would just change benches.

I had welts all over my neck and back from that day.... My wife asked me if I got into a nest of hornets or something.

The moral: Be polite and consider those shooting around you... Don't throw hot brass all over the guy shooting a 30-06 next to you....
Old 04-22-2019, 07:54 PM
A square 10

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
i like it when the bounce off my hat - to the ground , ive seen a number of ladies get one down the front , felt bad for them , usually leaves a mark ,
Old 04-23-2019, 12:22 PM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Those shooting position screens are good at directing hot brass back at you. Wide brim hats and high collar shirts are good protection. But sometimes that's not what I wear to the indoor range. In those cases, I break out the brass deflector I made and all the brass goes forward of the shooting line.

The only down side is I feel guilty when I leave because I don't have to sweep any brass.