JSR and Eley SSHP ammo - Page 2 - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 11-06-2019, 06:31 PM
Lerrab

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)

Eley sub hollow points do a good job on squirrels the lead is soft and the hollow expands well, but, I have shot them in a lot of guns and I have had guns they shoot decent in, but generally not! I don't currently own any Coopers but have owned two in the past, neither liked the Eley subs. As much as I would like to tout the $10 ammo , I can't . I have never owned a gun or seen one shoot Eley subs better than CCI standards. CCI are relatively cheap and some of us like for something more exotic to do better, but darn it, CCI standards keep getting in the way. Do my guns shoot CCI standards better than Lapua center x, Midas Plus, Eley match or ten x and the like,NO, not even close! but it will outshoot most $10 a box ammo in most guns. Massive amount of fliers in Eley sub sonic HP.
Old 11-06-2019, 06:55 PM
Lerrab

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Huntschool, I seem to recall You saying that you has A JSR that shot Eley subsonics really, really, really well on another site. But I may be mistaken or maybe a different JSR. why I remembered it is because in my experience it has been rare for a gun to shoot them that well. If it was you and the same rifle, perhaps it is your scope or the fresh brick of ammo that you mentioned. (most likely the fresh brick)
Old 11-06-2019, 07:21 PM
huntschool

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lerrab View Post
Huntschool, I seem to recall You saying that you has A JSR that shot Eley subsonics really, really, really well on another site. But I may be mistaken or maybe a different JSR. why I remembered it is because in my experience it has been rare for a gun to shoot them that well. If it was you and the same rifle, perhaps it is your scope or the fresh brick of ammo that you mentioned. (most likely the fresh brick)
Lerrab:

Yep, that was me. It was on this site in a different thread. I think I have come to the conclusion that the problem lies with the bipod as drover suggested. I shot it with the bipod a bit more as a test with slightly better results. Now I am waiting for good weather to shoot it without the bipod. I think from the tests the bipod and I were the problem.

We shall see. Thanks for asking.
Old 11-07-2019, 05:43 AM
VertFish
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (48)
I have struggled with finding the most accurate hollow point ammo for squirrel hunting for over 30 years. One brand of HVHP or SSHP might shoot reasonably well in one gun, but will be terrible in 10 others. Then a few years later it gets discontinued.

Several years ago I bought a D Rock hollow pointer kit and now just hollow-point target ammo. It shoots way better than ANY factory HPs and I can customize the size and depth of the HP. I can also flat point the nose if I wanted. Though member D Rock passed away several years ago, his used HP kits occasionally come up for sale on the TPC. The Waltz die is also a very good product if you have a reloading press. I use my Waltz die frequently. Several of the guys you met at Shawnee HP their own favourite target ammo for squirrel hunting.
Old 11-07-2019, 09:05 AM
ricky9x22

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by huntschool View Post
Lerrab:

Yep, that was me. It was on this site in a different thread. I think I have come to the conclusion that the problem lies with the bipod as drover suggested. I shot it with the bipod a bit more as a test with slightly better results. Now I am waiting for good weather to shoot it without the bipod. I think from the tests the bipod and I were the problem.

We shall see. Thanks for asking.
I think "today" would be a great day to go test and shoot that rifle Bruce!!! what's a little wind & rain going to affect your shooting! Oh, did I say Cold too!
Rick
Old 11-07-2019, 11:12 AM
huntschool

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by VertFish View Post
Several years ago I bought a D Rock hollow pointer kit and now just hollow-point target ammo. Several of the guys you met at Shawnee HP their own favorite target ammo for squirrel hunting.
VertFish: Now why didn't I think of that....

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricky9x22 View Post
I think "today" would be a great day to go test and shoot that rifle Bruce!!! What's a little wind & rain going to affect your shooting! Oh, did I say Cold too!
Rick
ricky9x22: Dont be a smart SOB. I hope you have to go out on a runway for an hour or two.... so there..... LOL
Old 11-07-2019, 12:33 PM
ricky9x22

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by huntschool View Post
VertFish: Now why didn't I think of that....

ricky9x22: Dont be a smart SOB. I hope you have to go out on a runway for an hour or two.... so there..... LOL
Oh Bruce, you got yoour wish!!! spent 2 hours on the flight line this morning, but sitting in my jeep! Hope that counts! Project Manager flew back to Pensacola yesterday, so I'm helping by filling in.... of course its during the worst weather yet! but got to make money to support the habit, 22 rifles & ammo isn't cheap when you try to feed all of them at once!
Oh, by the way, it's very cold and windy outside, no matter where you are!!!
Rick
Old 11-08-2019, 05:21 PM
redjones
US Marines Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lerrab View Post
Massive amount of fliers in Eley sub sonic HP.
I tried them thru my M20 ULA and my M57 Cooper and neither one liked them at all.
Both seem to shoot some old Green Tag I had laying around pretty well,more than good enough to squirrel hunt with.
But I'm sure its like anything else some rifle's probably shoot them just fine others not so much.

Greg