Frontier Scout Centenial - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 10-28-2019, 11:38 PM
samven
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Frontier Scout Centenial

I have a 1963 Frontier Scout Gettysburg Centennial. It is in like new condition with no cylinder marks but I do not have the box or papers. It has a gold cylinder, backstrap, trigger guard and trigger. My wife got it for me 30 years ago and it was in such nice shape I ended up putting it in the safe and only admiring it. I am not a non shooter collector and after doing some research found that without the box and papers it is probably just a shooter. So my question is should I just go ahead and shoot it or is it worth selling to buy a shooter. I mean will I get enough for it to buy a shooter in like new condition.
Old 10-29-2019, 12:09 AM
M2HB
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
Finding one in as nice of condition would not be easy. If you are looking for the same thing in a non commemorative edition you are probably going to pay more than what you will get out of the one you have. Besides, there may be some sentimental value to it. NIB condition guns I usually say to leave them in new condition. In your situation, I would shoot it and enjoy it. Then pass it down to the next generation.
Old 10-29-2019, 09:17 AM
jerryray

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I would agree that it is probably not worth much more than any other regular model in like new condition without the box and papers. Plus finding a buyer to pay more for that commemorative would be hard. I would probably just shoot it. At the same time if you keep it in good shape you probably won't degrade the value much.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-29-2019, 10:01 AM
gcrank1

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Liberate yourself from 'collectables'! Thing about most is they must remain pristine to be marketable and unfired is best; ie 'condition is everything'.
Sell it for as big money as you can get
Or spend more to complete the set by getting the box, papers, etc.; then just try to get the more you put into it than you would have by selling it 'as was'. (btdt )
Then, if you want a 'shooter grade' sgl act rev buy a Ruger Wrangler and dont worry about shooting it, or scuffing it, etc.

Last edited by gcrank1; 10-30-2019 at 11:48 PM.
Old 10-30-2019, 12:44 AM
samven

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thanks Guys, I was not sure how to handle this because I have heard that without the box and stuff it would actually be worth less than a good shooter but I know once I start shooting it and put marks on the gold plate and burn the front of the cylinder it may be worth even less. Its like putting that first scratch on a nice walnut stock.
https://www.rimfirecentral.com/forum...1&d=1572410619
Attached Images
File Type: jpg colt.jpg (235.4 KB, 105 views)
Old 10-30-2019, 08:29 AM
M2HB

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
The problem is that a lot of those commemoratives that are NIB are worth less than an identical non commemorative in the same condition.

If it was super rare and very valuable I would say to keep it as a safe queen.

I put my guns into two categories. Shooters and collectors.

In this case, itís replacement would cost more.
Old 10-30-2019, 05:46 PM
jerryray

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
As an example I bought a Winchester 9422 Boy Scout Commemorative for $425 a couple years ago with no box or papers but like new from a lgs. With the papers and box they were going for over $1000. Still I thought it a good deal and take it out and shoot often.
Old 10-30-2019, 08:16 PM
samven

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Maybe I will just try and find another cylinder for it so to dampen down the bling factor. Then it will just look like a brass backstrap and trigger. And I wont have to worry about the gold plate flaking as I try and clean the cylinder face.
Old 10-30-2019, 09:42 PM
M2HB

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerryray View Post
As an example I bought a Winchester 9422 Boy Scout Commemorative for $425 a couple years ago with no box or papers but like new from a lgs. With the papers and box they were going for over $1000. Still I thought it a good deal and take it out and shoot often.
You certainly got a good deal on that one.
Old 10-30-2019, 09:55 PM
A square 10

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
what is trying to be said is that the "commemorative market" is very small and not something most collectors go to , they seldom hold much more than their riginal value except to that certain someone who has to have that one , they are out there but finding them is difficult at best , you generally stumble upon them ,

if you have an original , unfired , in the original box with all the parer you might get more than you paid ,

most of us shoot and enjoy them for what they are , we treasure what we saw when we acquired them , we do not "invest" in these as they are seldom a good investment vehicle ,

i do not think [know] they did not have have these or anything that modern at gettysburg so there is no connection really , some commemoratives might appeal to others that are not collectors like servicemen who were there , but even that group is thin for these

i seldom say this much - i will shut up now as i realize im gushing

Last edited by A square 10; 10-30-2019 at 09:59 PM.
Old 10-31-2019, 08:43 AM
Camster

TPC Rating: 
99% (54)
Go ahead and shoot it. For the amount of money that we're talking about, the effort and expense of selling and buying, perhaps the gift factor, it's a waste of energy.
Most would prefer a non comm,unless they get a deal on one and make it their shooter,so you might as well make it your shooter. With reasonable care, it can stay a perfect though fired gun.Doubtful that it's going to 75% status.
Few buyers would relate to the Gettysburg theme unless they lived there. Comm buyers must be dwindling in numbers and those few out would want the complete package. In years past, the comm idea got some sales for the manufacturers, but I think the current buying public is more practical.
Old 10-31-2019, 10:04 AM
wproct

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I say do what brings you the most joy. If you just really want to shoot it, go ahead and do it. If you just really get pleasure out of of looking at it in it's pristine unfired condition, keep it just as it is and gaze away.
Old 10-31-2019, 10:23 AM
dons

TPC Rating: 
100% (27)
Aluminum Frame?

Can't tell if yours has an aluminum frame or not, but with the darkness of the finish, it seems to me that it is aluminum.
I bought a used Colt's Frontier Scout Centennial once, I remember it was an 1886 Oregon trail model, no box or papers, and it had been shot. My wife used it as a shooter for awhile, until we discovered that the aluminum frame eventually peened over the firing pin and locked up the cylinder!!
If your frame is aluminum(you should be able to check it with a magnet), my advice would be to refrain from shooting it. If you want a shooter, buy another handgun. Ruger Single Six comes to mind.
Old 10-31-2019, 12:53 PM
gcrank1

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
And, fwiw, and to feed the speculation fires.....
I ' heard' quite some years ago that an un-named but well-known company used sub-standard (read=otherwise rejects) for making their 'commemoratives'. It was a way to sell something that would otherwise be trashed, and for more money. Note that this is not 'substantiated' so call it urban legend or sour grapes iffn ya want.
From a few comm's that I and some friends have had experience with I am inclined to agree, we were not impressed.
Old 11-04-2019, 11:51 PM
samven

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Well I think you all have convinced me. I am going to just shoot it as is. If its a good shooter I will just enjoy it, if its not I will clean it up and put it back in its place in the safe and the kids can figure out what to do with it.