Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 10-25-2019, 02:11 PM
Test_Engineer

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Bluetooth Streaming

If I want to stream music from an Iheart radio station, I open a browser and find the station and hit "play". It plays nicely over my laptop speakers without any issue. I can minimize the window and do other things like browse RFC in a different window. The music continues to play without issue.

If I want to stream that same station to a Bluetooth speaker while doing dishes or something, I take the laptop to the kitchen and turn on the speaker. The laptop senses the speaker and switches output from the laptop speakers to the Bluetooth speaker automatically. I can leave the laptop sit on the counter and listen to the music while I do the dishes or cook dinner. That's really nice.

The problem is I can't listen to Bluetooth AND use the computer to browse RFC or do anything else with it. As soon as I touch the mouse or keyboard, the music gets a lot of little pauses, skips, static, and so on.

Is there any setting I can adjust to give priority to the Bluetooth transmitter? I could deal with a jumpy mouse or slow browser response better than garbled up music.

The laptop is a Dell Latitude E4310 running Win7. And yes, the Bluetooth drivers are the latest from the Dell website.

Thanks for any suggestions!!!
Old 10-25-2019, 02:22 PM
aztarget

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
unfortunately it is a computer memory and wifi issue. Does the laptop have the max memory available? Also you probably running a g standard wifi on the laptop. If you do not wan to replace the laptop might suggest getting a usb plug in n series wifi card. Basically your garden hose doesn't have the flow necessary to run both.
Old 10-29-2019, 07:00 PM
aztarget

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Sorry I killed your thread.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-30-2019, 11:49 AM
Test_Engineer

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by aztarget View Post
unfortunately it is a computer memory and wifi issue. Does the laptop have the max memory available?
Memory is max and the wifi is fine. It streams to the Bluetooth just fine when the cursor is left alone. I think the problem is the OS doesn't give enough priority to the streaming devices. So it bounces processor cycles back and forth equally between the cursor and speaker. This needs to change.

I've downloaded a program that's supposed to allow you to adjust CPU priorities. I still need to install it and learn how to use it. This will be done slowly so I hopefully don't end up with a locked up PC. I'll post back what I figure out.
Old 11-02-2019, 07:47 PM
Test_Engineer

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Update

So the program I downloaded is called Processlasso. I got it installed and have used it to change all the Bluetooth processes to "high" priority. So after doing that:

1) I can now move the cursor around with no glitches.
2) I can now raise & lower any window without glitches.
3) I can start & run any program on my laptop without glitches.

Much improved, but I still get glitches when I change to a new browser address (like clicking to a new forum page). I set the Processlasso controls to minimum reaction time (250 msec) which makes the glitches fairly small and brief.

I'm hoping someone else here uses Processlasso and can give an opinion on using the "CPU affinity" function. My Intel i5 processor has 4 cores. I'm wondering if reserving one of those cores for exclusive use by the Bluetooth processes would be a good idea (or very bad). I don't want to jack up OS processes, but would like to get the streaming completely glitch free if possible.

Thanks for any input!