Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 10-08-2019, 10:38 AM
zingbee
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Tavares FL Appleseed

I've been contemplating attending an Appleseed event for quite some time. I live in central Florida and have seen many available within a two hour drive. I'm retired, so no big deal. Looking at the calendar for upcoming events and I find one that is about 15 minutes from home, sponsored by the Eustis Gun Club in Tavares (long story). It's Dec 14-15 so the weather should be cool, but this IS Florida and you never know. This is too good to pass up. I still have some time to prepare.

https://appleseedinfo.org/location/?...2&eventid=6840
Old 10-13-2019, 09:28 PM
Fynn
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! Appleseed Member Appleseed Rifleman

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Sounds great! What will you be shooting?

I just started plinking again with my .22 bolty after a year lay off, SO much fun.

I've only attended a one day event but enjoyed it thoroughly. I thought about chasing a high score but high power swallowed me whole
Old 10-14-2019, 01:32 PM
zingbee

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I plan on using my '73 10/22 with 4x Bushnell Banner ('79). Great rifle and a really good japan scope. At 67, I just can't shoot open sights anymore. Have to prepare carefully. I have other 10/22's, but that old one is special. The date is the anniversary of my first marriage, hope it's not an omen.

Last edited by zingbee; 10-14-2019 at 01:34 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-27-2019, 12:45 AM
Water Harley

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I plan on going itís about half hour for me,going to use my bolt Ruger Model 8334.
I hope to do good this will be my first.
Old 10-28-2019, 08:42 AM
NashvilleStage
Appleseed Member Appleseed Rifleman

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
That's great! Make sure to look at the "how to prepare" section of the Appleseed website for tips on what to bring.

I hope you have a great time; Appleseed events are challenging, inspiring, and a lot of fun.
Old 10-29-2019, 09:03 PM
Water Harley

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
What Scope

What Scope should I use for a .22 Appleseed event. I will be using a Ruger.22 bolt model 8334. I here several different types and powers. If I could get some help that would be super.
Old 10-30-2019, 09:22 AM
rwadley
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! Appleseed Member Appleseed Rifleman

TPC Rating: 
100% (20)
any scope will work, but one with an adjustable objective (or side focus) will work better. 4x is all you need until you get a really steady positions.

My suggestion is a Mueller 2-7x32, but some like the Nikon EFR 3-9x40. My experience with Simmons has been "hit or miss"

I did my first two Appleseeds with Tech Sights. They are great if you can focus on the front sight.
Old 10-30-2019, 10:19 AM
NashvilleStage

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Water Harley View Post
What Scope should I use for a .22 Appleseed event.
I agree with Rwadley's comments above. ~4x is good for Appleseed. You'll be shooting from unsupported positions, and too much magnification just makes the image shaky. Plus, you'll be constantly muscling the rifle around to try & line it up perfectly (which is a bad thing).

Having the ability to focus the scope down to 25 yards is a good feature to have, so check the specs for the scope you want to use. Fixed parallax scopes are often set to 100 yards (or 50 yards for rimfire scopes), which might leave a target at 25 yards blurry.

As you're mounting your scope, make sure to test it while laying down in the prone position. Often, a scope will need to be mounted slightly further forward to get a full image while being used in prone. It's a common issue we see at Appleseed events, particularly for students who usually shoot from a bench.

Good luck, and I hope you enjoy attending!
Old 10-30-2019, 07:45 PM
TCBeard
Veteran Fire Fighter Appleseed Member Appleseed Rifleman

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Do yourself a favor and get a pair of elbow pads before you go. You're going to spend a lot of time in the prone position.
Old 10-30-2019, 07:50 PM
[email protected]
US Navy Veteran Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
I'm a member there. Nice facility. Should be a good time for all.
Old 10-31-2019, 05:41 PM
zingbee

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
I'm a member there. Nice facility. Should be a good time for all.
I live in Eustis and have been meaning to join. Already have the application. Just got to get there.
Old 11-01-2019, 06:31 AM
navybowhunter
US Navy Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join! Appleseed Rifleman

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TCBeard View Post
Do yourself a favor and get a pair of elbow pads before you go. You're going to spend a lot of time in the prone position.
That is not advised. Elbow pads will create a pivot point. If elbow protection is desired, recommend wearing a sweatshirt or 2.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
Old 11-01-2019, 09:43 AM
NashvilleStage

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TCBeard View Post
I recommend the soft-shell type of elbow pad. The more common hard-shell pads will make your elbows slide right out from under you while laying in prone on the mat.

In cooler weather, wearing a layer or two of sweatshirts can be a good option. In warmer weather, I've folded up a sweatshirt and laid it out on the mat to rest my elbows on (though it's a slower & clunky option every time you get into position). If you want to spend more money for something that's purpose-built, many shooting jackets have built-in elbow pads in addition to a shoulder pad for recoil and a bicep pad to cushion the loop sling.