Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 10-30-2019, 10:17 PM
TireurdElite

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
First time shooting my new MK iv Target

After much anticipation, I received my MK iv Target today and took it to the range. First time gun owner so kind of a big day for me shooting my own gun for the first time. Just love how the handle feels in my hand and how it shoots. Really happy with my choice, especially after agonizing for weeks over which model MK to buy.

Question for the experienced folks: the first 50-100 rounds I shot had a weirdly high number of misfires. I would say 5 or 6 in the first 100. I’m shooting CCI Standard Velocity. I ended up shooting about 200 rounds and it got better, but made me wonder. Is there a problem with the gun, the ammo, or is that a normal break in for a new gun?
Thanks
Old 10-30-2019, 10:48 PM
Joe A.
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
First, did you clean and lube your pistol prior going to the range? If so, clean it again paying attention to the chamber to ensure theres no buildup there. While your upper receiver is off and bolt removed, drop a cartridge into the chamber. It should fall all the way in. If it does not fall all way down, there may be some fouling in the chamber. Also, the cartridge should fall out with muzzle turned up.

On a new Ruger Mark pistol, I would advise using CCI Mini Mag for the first few hundred rounds. Some Mark pistols will not run standard velocity ammo when new.

Joe
Old 10-30-2019, 10:58 PM
frozen
Appleseed Rifleman

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I always run 40 grain mini mags the first 200-400 rounds for a good break in then try standard cci, I hope you enjoyed your pistol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-30-2019, 10:58 PM
Flash_80

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
What type of misfires? I'm assuming stovepipe jams on rounds not ejecting completely, but thats just a guess based on a brand new gun with fully tensioned springs.
Old 10-30-2019, 11:03 PM
Flash_80

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Any High velocity bulk will do the same for breaking in your gun as Mini-Mags will, and for less money. That said, Mini-mags are kind of the standard though since they are pretty reliable. If your gun won't shoot mini-mags, you likely have an actual problem. But a 500 bulk pack of anyone's 1240fps hi-vel should break it on in just fine.
Old 10-31-2019, 04:29 AM
jstanfield103

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
As said already,
SV ammo is really not good to break your pistol in with. Just not enough power to cycle the new springs. Also pull the bolt back when you are not shooting it and leave the bolt open for a week while she just sits and waits for the next use. This will help the springs break in a little bit.
Then break her in with any HV ammo for the first 500 or 1000 rounds. Probably will not have one problem. After a good break in then you can go back and shoot the CCI SV. Should be good then.
Congratulations on the new Mark series.
Old 10-31-2019, 08:14 AM

TPC Rating: 
100% (33)
I like Federal Automatch for pistol break-in. Or even Remington Golden Bullets. Both are fairly inexpensive. The gold standard for this purpose is probably CCI Mini-Mags. A couple of hundred rounds is going to help smooth out any burrs/chatter and break in the springs, as mentioned above.
Old 10-31-2019, 09:02 AM
Theo98

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by TireurdElite View Post
After much anticipation, I received my MK iv Target today and took it to the range. First time gun owner so kind of a big day for me shooting my own gun for the first time. Just love how the handle feels in my hand and how it shoots. Really happy with my choice, especially after agonizing for weeks over which model MK to buy.

Question for the experienced folks: the first 50-100 rounds I shot had a weirdly high number of misfires. I would say 5 or 6 in the first 100. I’m shooting CCI Standard Velocity. I ended up shooting about 200 rounds and it got better, but made me wonder. Is there a problem with the gun, the ammo, or is that a normal break in for a new gun?
Thanks
Hello TE,

Congrats on your MKIV Target and Welcome to the RFC Ruger MkIV Forum!

CCI Mini Mag HV CPRN 40 grain 1235fps ammo should help the action smooth out! After my 1st 100 rounds with various brands of SV ammo, my new MkIV Hunter and MkIV 22/45 Lite experienced several stove pipes and feed ramp jams. Followed recommendations here on RFC and switched to the CCI MM HV...now 3K rounds later, have had Zero ammo issues!! On top of that, my groupings "rested" are around 1\2" or better at 25 yds, so Also Love the Accuracy!!

Enjoy your new Target...Loads of Fun!

Ted
Old 10-31-2019, 02:11 PM
TireurdElite

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
This is a really fantastic forum, thank you all for all the helpful feedback. I’ll switch to the MM ammo and see if that helps. I did look for excess grease before shooting. I’m too new to Be able to diagnose what kind of jams I was having but half of the time I would pull the trigger and nothing would happen and the other half of the time it was and ejection issue. I probably ended up ejecting more rounds than I needed but I wanted to be on the conservative side.

Will pick up a batch of the MM and report back. Out of curiosity, if that’s the case why wouldn’t I just shoot MM on a permanent basis? Is that just a cost thing?
Old 10-31-2019, 03:18 PM
Theo98

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by TireurdElite View Post
...Will pick up a batch of the MM and report back. Out of curiosity, if that€™s the case why wouldn€™t I just shoot MM on a permanent basis? Is that just a cost thing?
TE,

As per my post #8, yes, I continue to shoot MM 40Gr HV ammo in all my Mk pistols (Mk Standard, MkI, MkII and MkIV's)...Very Reliable, very clean and very accurate. My last 4 brick purchase (2K rounds) cost me with shipping, just .05 cents per round...not bad at all (Brownell's Sale)!!

Ted