Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 10-29-2019, 08:52 AM
Tom_in_MO
US Army Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 56S View Post
I looked at one of these a year or so ago at the local Rural King. The big turnoff on that example was a crown much like a 1/4 x 20 nut in the bulk hardware bin.
I bought this muzzle lapping kit from Mcarbo to address the issue on my Romanian trainer, which has had a hard life. Looks much nicer now. I then "blued" the muzzle with a black Sharpie.
Old 10-29-2019, 05:02 PM
Tom_in_MO
US Army Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by toomanyguns View Post
Nice write-up, Tom.

I REALLY wish you would do a thread on the Savage Mark I on RFC (anything and everything you've learned about it). I've been looking at the Mark I's (I have 3 Mark II's) and would like a comprehensive review from an actual user. You do excellent reviews.
Expect it tmw night, over in the Savage subforum. I need to go shoot it with Wolf. I am trying to decide if I will keep it or trade it in on a 457 ProVarmint. Depends on how the Mk I shoots with the Wolf.
Old 10-30-2019, 09:35 PM
Tom_in_MO
US Army Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Just put this scope on it today. Probably the perfect inexpensive scope for this gun. Shooting it with Wolf Match Extra tmw.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg M14Y Bugbuster.jpg (289.4 KB, 4 views)

Last edited by Tom_in_MO; 10-30-2019 at 09:40 PM.
Old 10-31-2019, 02:39 PM
Tom_in_MO
US Army Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Drat! Technical difficulties.....please stand by.....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg M14Y Kage.jpg (299.4 KB, 4 views)
Old 10-31-2019, 02:52 PM
Tom_in_MO
US Army Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
OK, fixed.

Shot the Rock today with Wolf Match Extra, and CCI MM 36gr HP. All are 5-shot groups at 25 yards, front and rear bags.

Note the Savage's results above, shot with Wolf. The Savage, in its black plastic stock, is within a hair of being as good as my CZ 457 Trainer. The Rock, not so much; but I think it still acquits itself well. As you can see, I was still dialing in the scope for the first two groups of Wolf.

Discounting two flyers for the Savage, it got a 5-shot group average of .15". The Rock got a 4-shot (of 5) average of .21", and did pretty well with the Mini Mag too. (The circled shot under Wolf group 5 is a sighter for the MM. Had to crank that elevation down a bunch for the HV rounds.....)

See post #1. The Rock shot a lot better with the SK Pistol Match Special.

I think this gun is a very viable alternative to a CZ 457 Scout. Obviously less accurate but still quite capable, for about $220 OTD with the nice little scope in post #18. The M14Y was the best of my dozen or so mid-pack 22s, before I started trading them in.

Putting sling studs on it in a few minutes. You can get a pack of three front and rear studs on Amazon for $10.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg M14Y Wolf MM36.jpg (257.3 KB, 3 views)

Last edited by Tom_in_MO; 10-31-2019 at 04:24 PM.