Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 10-26-2019, 05:18 PM
IdahoMTM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Stevens-Savage 87B

I am new around here (joined yesterday). I recently inherited the rifle in the title of this thread, in fantastic condition, except the cracked stock. The crack doesn't affect the function (which is flawless!), but it bothers me, because the rifle (metal) is like new, and I would like to restock it. The old click-clack is also scoped with N3 Weaver mount, and D6 Weaver scope (superbly accurate!).

I wanted to ask here about my stock options. I know 87A stock would fit (found one on the auction site, but it's inletted for the trigger guard (my rifle has the stamped trigger guard, no inletting). I know Savage 6D stock would fit (which I like more than the 87A stock anyway), but I would also have to purchase machined trigger guard.

Are there any other options? This old thing "speaks" to me, and I would like to keep it in pristine condition for the rest of my life.

I have many bigger, better, way more expensive weapons, but this thing makes me smile when I blast empty 12ga shells at 30 yards,.....love it.

All guidance in regards to restocking it will be appreciated.
Old 10-26-2019, 06:57 PM
scooter22
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

Central NY, The good part, not the rotten apple
TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Welcome. Post a pic of the cracked stock. Most of the time they can be glued and look good. Many times you may not notice the glue line. If it still bothers you refinish it.. I don't know of any after market ones for that rifle. Chances are it would be a old used one that may need attention anyway.

Last edited by scooter22; 10-26-2019 at 06:59 PM.
Old 10-27-2019, 09:09 AM
IdahoMTM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thank you. Stock was glued, and refinished, and the crack (and the glue line) is very visible. I am aware of no aftermarket stock availability. My question was directed toward other tube fed models whose stock might fit (even with a slight modification). I refinished dozens of stocks in my lifetime, and I am looking for a used stock (scratched, nicked, ugly) that is structurally sound.
I posted here hoping that someone has a stock (any model) that might fit with minor modifications, or can at least tell me which other model stocks would fit.
I don't believe I am the only one in the country looking for replacement for this kind of stock.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-27-2019, 09:19 AM
FlysAlot

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
WELCOME! (to another Stevens/Savage click clack lover!)

I don't know of any replacement/aftermarket stock for these rifles. Thankfully they made a TON of them so spare stocks are usually found on eBay and Numrich. Good luck!

Pro Patria

Cives Arma Ferant

Cuiusque Devotio est Vis Regimenti
Old 10-27-2019, 10:46 AM
CDSteding
Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Look into a stock made of Tenite. It was a simulated wood old school plastic. I have a wooden stock and one tenite stock, I switch back and forth between the two. Adds a bit if fun. I also get more pleasure out of my old guns then any of my new ones. They just to seem to have more character. Enjoy your rifle.
Old 10-28-2019, 09:13 AM
Catt57

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CDSteding View Post
Look into a stock made of Tenite. It was a simulated wood old school plastic. I have a wooden stock and one tenite stock, I switch back and forth between the two. Adds a bit if fun. I also get more pleasure out of my old guns then any of my new ones. They just to seem to have more character. Enjoy your rifle.

Did you modify something to do this? The wood stocks are a single take-down screw but the Tenite's are 2 screws.
Old 10-29-2019, 12:37 PM
polarys425

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Keep an eye out at Numrich. Out of stock right now, but they have had them.

https://www.gunpartscorp.com/gun-man...le-series/87ab
Old 10-29-2019, 02:01 PM
IdahoMTM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by polarys425 View Post
Keep an eye out at Numrich. Out of stock right now, but they have had them.

https://www.gunpartscorp.com/gun-man...le-series/87ab
Thank you, I know. I spotted a replacement stock over there, and was thinking "should I" for two days (I PREFER to keep all of my antiques as original as possible),.....two days later, I said to myself "I should", and they were out of them. I have the opportunity to get a used one today, but it has inletted trigger guard (not original to my rifle), and the trigger guard is cast, but beat up (both need refinishing).

Now I'm back to thinking "should I"
Old 10-29-2019, 06:49 PM
ODEN2
US Army Disabled American Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Tenite

Good luck finding a tenite stock, I've been looking for years. One just sold for almost $100.00 plus freight, a little steep for a stock for a rifle which sold new for approx $20.00. Good luck, if you find 2, please pm me.

charles
Old 10-29-2019, 09:11 PM
IdahoMTM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ODEN2 View Post
Good luck finding a tenite stock, I've been looking for years. One just sold for almost $100.00 plus freight, a little steep for a stock for a rifle which sold new for approx $20.00. Good luck, if you find 2, please pm me.

charles
I don't think I'll be looking for one. I'm a "walnut&blue steel" kind of guy. I even passed on the stock with cast trigger guard. I'll either keep it the way it is (original), or IF a decent original stock with stamped trigger guard shows up somewhere, I'll replace it.
Old 10-31-2019, 01:37 PM
KCinWashington

TPC Rating: 
100% (14)
This guy has an 87A stock that looks pretty nice. Don't know if it would work for you.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Savage-Stev...16.m2518.l4276