Looking for a Remington 1858 repro to shoot - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 09-18-2019, 01:00 AM
Racer X's Avatar
Racer X
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

Join Date: 
Jul 2005
Location: 
Seattle
Posts: 
1,691
TPC Rating: 
96% (24)
Looking for a Remington 1858 repro to shoot



Log in to see fewer ads
I have an original, a family heirloom that was carried by my great great grandfather, but I want a shooter.

Of the various current, new repros and likely older used repros, which are good all around shooters?

What to look for?
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 09-18-2019, 06:54 AM
fourbore
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

Join Date: 
Jun 2014
Location: 
NewEngland,USA
Posts: 
4,451
TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I would get an Uberti. I really like the quality and reputation of this company. They first got my attention back when colt used them to manufacture their rebranded colt cap and ball revolvers. I have been paying attention ever since.

I would get the Uberti and not even shop around. I realize you are not me, so; this is just one recommendation for you to think about.

I would stay away from Pedersoli for any repro unless they were a sole source. That company is way over rated. I have been sorry a couple times. I dont know if they offer this. I would not bother to look. Bad springs, lack authentic details, just so-so guns for high prices. No parts, or super expensive parts which you should not need on a modern gun with little use. Not for a long time.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 09-18-2019, 10:29 AM
judgejohnmd
Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

Join Date: 
Jul 2014
Location: 
Aberdeen, MD
Posts: 
254
TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I bought a Pietta 1858 Remington from Taylor in West Virginia: very nice fit & finish; smooth trigger; bought xtra cylinder for shooting more rounds at one sitting without reloading. Their quality of today is much better than years past.
Cabelas also has about the best prices, I think; but like dealing with Taylors; great people to talk to; will listen to what you want and accommodate your needs.
John in MD


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #4  
Old 09-19-2019, 10:54 PM
Racer X's Avatar
Racer X
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

Join Date: 
Jul 2005
Location: 
Seattle
Posts: 
1,691
TPC Rating: 
96% (24)
note to self, look into pietta and uberti. thanks.

I have the full Remington kit. bullet mold, powder flask, a few 19th century cast balls, and some sketchy black powder in a sealed glass jar. NOT going to open it. My father's mom shot it growing up, and kept it loaded as the house pistol when grand dad was at work as Sheriff.

Now if I can just track down the family Brown Bess.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 09-21-2019, 05:51 PM
NHcollector2

Join Date: 
Feb 2019
Posts: 
119
TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fourbore View Post
I would get an Uberti. I really like the quality and reputation of this company. They first got my attention back when colt used them to manufacture their rebranded colt cap and ball revolvers. I have been paying attention ever since.

I would get the Uberti and not even shop around. I realize you are not me, so; this is just one recommendation for you to think about.

I would stay away from Pedersoli for any repro unless they were a sole source. That company is way over rated. I have been sorry a couple times. I dont know if they offer this. I would not bother to look. Bad springs, lack authentic details, just so-so guns for high prices. No parts, or super expensive parts which you should not need on a modern gun with little use. Not for a long time.
My experience with Pedersoli is not like yours, I have two flintlocks, a Sharps, a Trapdoor, and a Rolling Block, all very well made and finished, all shoot just fine. I have quite a few Ubertis, they are also very good, as are a couple of Piettas.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 09-22-2019, 03:51 PM
donie

Join Date: 
Dec 2010
Posts: 
457
TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Bought a Pietta from cabelas in the late 90s under $150!
It was like they didnt finish fitting the mechanical parts, but some TLC on my part, made a good revolver. I made grips and a box for it.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 09-22-2019, 11:34 PM
6PtStar
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

Join Date: 
Jan 2014
Posts: 
258
TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
In my opinion Uberti used to be better but Pietta has gotten better and Uberti seems to have back slid a bit. If I were in the market now I would buy Pietta.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 10-25-2019, 08:27 PM
DroopyBassets75's Avatar
DroopyBassets75
US Army Veteran

Join Date: 
Apr 2015
Posts: 
949
TPC Rating: 
100% (19)
A bit late here but I thought I might add in one thing to the equation to consider. The Uberti 1858 has a dovetailed front sight so you can adjust for windage, and you can easily swap it out for a taller sight which you will most certainly need. The Pietta does NOT have a dovetailed sight. I owned a Pietta, and the quality was quite good but the fixed front sight always bothered me since it shot so darn high at 25 yards.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 10-26-2019, 01:13 AM
'ol shooter's Avatar
'ol shooter
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

Join Date: 
Oct 2010
Location: 
So Cal
Posts: 
8,771
TPC Rating: 
100% (124)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DroopyBassets75 View Post
A bit late here but I thought I might add in one thing to the equation to consider. The Uberti 1858 has a dovetailed front sight so you can adjust for windage, and you can easily swap it out for a taller sight which you will most certainly need. The Pietta does NOT have a dovetailed sight. I owned a Pietta, and the quality was quite good but the fixed front sight always bothered me since it shot so darn high at 25 yards.
A good point, thanks for adding that.
__________________
Bob B.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 10-26-2019, 01:01 PM
Toomany22s's Avatar
Toomany22s
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

Join Date: 
Sep 2017
Posts: 
3,963
TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer X View Post
I have an original, a family heirloom that was carried by my great great grandfather, but I want a shooter.

Of the various current, new repros and likely older used repros, which are good all around shooters?

What to look for?
Armslist has a slew of these, and in Oregon too!
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Remington 37 Sights BlueRidgeParson Model 37/40X 34 05-19-2019 06:18 PM
WHY I SHOOT vlnbyr Rimfire Benchrest Shooting 70 12-03-2018 02:12 PM
Where can i find “What Can Your Targets Tell You?” in the May 2008 PS? dlgunn1 Rimfire Benchrest Shooting 6 10-25-2016 08:42 AM
S/S Bolt Cheap Ammo Challenge (new) COW 54 Superstock Bolt Actions 72 09-30-2016 07:49 AM
What do you shoot when plinking? Yogimus Remington 15 09-29-2004 11:58 AM



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:32 AM.

Privacy Policy

DMCA Notice

Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimisation provided by DragonByte SEO (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright ©2000-2018 RimfireCentral.com
x