Favorite rimfire accuracy terms ! - Page 2 - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 01-13-2021, 05:58 PM
rustic bob

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)

I love this forum, you guys make me laugh, it's relaxing.
Old 01-13-2021, 07:56 PM
Penage Guy

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
When I first read someone describe a rifle as "insanely accurate" I had a feeling it was simply trying to improve on similar expressions such as "stupid accurate". How to top them? Moronically accurate? Imbecilically accurate?
Old 01-13-2021, 08:06 PM
jaia
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
My squirrel rifle is lethally accurate.

My hog rifle is terminally accurate.

But my pellet rifle just stacks 'em one on top of the other.

What? You thought I'd miss out?
Old 01-13-2021, 08:33 PM
David Valdina
US Marines Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

Barefoot Bay, Florida and Cape Cod, Massachusetts
TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Don't rain on his parade please.

Lerrab posts "Got a friend who is going to bring over a friend of his who has a new to him CZ this weekend and try some different ammo. He says that this gun is Super accurate"

Don't rain on his parade. He is excited and happy. Good. As he grows in the sport, he will acquire knowledge. For now, be happy for him.
Old 01-13-2021, 09:01 PM
gunwhatgun

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Valdina View Post
Lerrab posts "Got a friend who is going to bring over a friend of his who has a new to him CZ this weekend and try some different ammo. He says that this gun is Super accurate"

Don't rain on his parade. He is excited and happy. Good. As he grows in the sport, he will acquire knowledge. For now, be happy for him.
Well said.
Old 01-13-2021, 09:19 PM
Lerrab

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
David V., My gun/shooting room is known as hurricane alley and the milk of human kindness does not flow through it!
Old 01-13-2021, 11:21 PM
fugawe

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Pffff, my 86 Lemler bolt/pump will put 10 rounds into one hole at 100 yards. In fact, it is so accurate that the one hole will actually be smaller than .22". When I start using my new high performance Pez mags it should be terrifyingly accurate.
Old 01-14-2021, 12:21 AM
JEC

TPC Rating: 
100% (6)
All day long “if I do my part”. Has there ever been a more superfluous phrase?

I’d really like to find the rifle that will shoot dime-sized groups all day long even if I don’t do my part. THAT’S the kind of “scary accurate” I want!
Old 01-14-2021, 01:36 AM
Lerrab

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
fugawe, I take it that you are either and old geezer or right up against it, not because you actually know what an 86 Lemler is, ( most don't) but because of your use of the word, Pffff. You pulled it off pretty good giving yourself away in the process. It's and old geezer's word kind of like Pshaw. Probably the hardest two words for a youngster to actually pull off in conversation. I waited a long time to be able to use those two words and I enjoy not only using them but hearing them used, Thanks!
Old 01-14-2021, 04:41 AM
whiplash

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lerrab View Post
Whiplash, If you don't mind me saying so, I think you are going about the beginner thing all wrong. You should never be a beginner after the first ammo purchase. It is customary after buying your first box of ammo to immediately promote oneself to near expert status. After having SHOT that box of ammo , the promotion to expert is now complete. You will remain as a top expert for an average of about three years at such time you will go into a period of decline and start doubting your own knowledge and expertise! You will continue this decline until you are no longer an expert. About ten years later you will in no wise regain all of your former glory, but will get to the point that you will become knowledgeable. It is doubtful that in your later years you will ever become the expert you once were, but will no doubt feel comfortable in the company of other knowledgeable folks.
Please feel welcome to use any of the above terms that any of us has mentioned.
LOL. This makes so much more sense. It's like seeing into the future.
Old 01-14-2021, 08:47 AM

TPC Rating: 
100% (46)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al the Infidel View Post
Shoots the wings off flies. We has dragonflies with a 5" wingspan.
I actually did shoot the wings off of a dragon fly once..in flight. I won $100. There might have been adult beverages involved. After I got a “I bet you can’t do that again”, my reply was “I’m not even going to try, give me that $100”.
Old 01-14-2021, 10:12 AM
vet6771
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I've got a rifle/ammo combo that is so darned accurate that the second shot fills in the hole from the first shot!
Old 01-14-2021, 10:26 AM
tickridger

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Dead Nuts accurate is the one that gets me. Just what has dead nuts have to do with accuracy. If taken literally "dead nuts" there wouldn't even be a shot.

John
Old 01-14-2021, 10:31 AM
MKnarr
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Red face

Think about this. Is a rifle accurate or precise? If a rifle shoots a 1/4 inch group that is 4 inches away from the center of the target, it is showing it is precise. But if it shoots a 1 inch group that is centered on the target, it can be called accurate. But if it shoots a 1/4 inch group that is centered on the target, it is both precise and accurate.

From the Merriam Webster web site for "precision"

Quote:
Did You Know?

Many of us often use precision and accuracy as synonyms, but not scientists and engineers. For them, accuracy describes a particular measurement—that is, how close it is to the truth. But precision describes a measurement system—that is, how good it is at giving the same result every time it measures the same thing.
I happen to be a retired engineer.
Old 01-14-2021, 10:39 AM
gewehrfreund
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (42)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MKnarr View Post
Think about this. Is a rifle accurate or precise? If a rifle shoots a 1/4 inch group that is 4 inches away from the center of the target, it is showing it is precise. But if it shoots a 1 inch group that is centered on the target, it can be called accurate. But if it shoots a 1/4 inch group that is centered on the target, it is both precise and accurate.

From the Merriam Webster web site for "precision"

I happen to be a retired engineer.
You're wasting your time, my friend . . . . . . . . . some things will never change.

A bit OT for this thread, but one thing that always torks me are the maroons who "run" scopes on their rifles. "What scope you runnin' on yer 32-5.56 Knockout, Bubba?"