Hogue OverMolded Rifle Stock Ruger 10/22 Standard Barrel Channel - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 01-12-2021, 07:47 PM
Ben Gallaher
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Hogue OverMolded Rifle Stock Ruger 10/22 Standard Barrel Channel

Update: The barrel is not in perfect alignment with the receiver. So, the stock if fine, the barreled receiver is the source of the problem.

I just slapped my 10/22 barreled action into a new Hogue stock for the standard factory barrel. And... the barrel touches the side of the forend. While I am not happy, I am not sure if I am unhappy. Is this fitment typical? Hogue customer service, which was very polite, indicated that this stock was not meant to free float the barrel. I tinkered around with a notecard making a small shim to go around the action screw, but did not really try much. No accuracy tests yet. I was hoping for accuracy at least as good as the factory carbine stock with barrel band. Thanks.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0261.jpg (11.4 KB, 114 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0263.jpg (11.1 KB, 114 views)

Last edited by Ben Gallaher; 01-14-2021 at 12:59 PM. Reason: Update to reflect the reason for the barrel being off center, which was the subject of the original post.
Old 01-13-2021, 03:41 PM
reddirtwyo

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
A tale as old as time with hogue i'm afraid. They aren't too difficult to hog out to freefloat but I would suggest looking at a laminate stock as they are considerably stiffer than hogue products.
Old 01-13-2021, 06:40 PM
supersharp

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I have the same Hogue Stock and it worked out really well for me .It is fairly centred in the barrel channel .You may want to make sure that your barrel is not canted in the receiver .To check this take the barreled action out of the stock and lay the action on each side of a flat surface like a granite counter top take measurements to make sure the barrel is not canted and that it really is a problem with the stock itself. I got lucky my particular rifle is quite accurate
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20140704_100159.jpg (554.7 KB, 4 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-13-2021, 06:48 PM
Chaser
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! UotM

TPC Rating: 
100% (75)
Send a message via AIM to Chaser
Ben .. other than it looks bad it prob. will not effect accuracy.. and with a OEM barrel you are not looking for a tack driver anyway.
You can add a thin hunk of vinyl (think : old shower curtain) or bike inner-tube 1/2" wide x approx .75" long in the channel at the end and that should center you up.. once ya get the size and location figured out you can glue it in place... commonly known around RFC as a pressure pad.. some swear it makes the OEM peg more accurate.. if that idea does not interest you you can lube the barrel at the end of the channel area with oil or clear shoe polish as a release agent and add a dime size blob of JB Weld/the kind that looks like Tootsie Roll and feels like Modeling Clay (and you Knead it with your fingers to mix) into the channel at the end area then seat your barrel and snug up the action screw to 14ish inch lbs. and then add some pressure at that blob with a squeeze of your hand and center the barrel temporarily with say a pc. of biz card on each side.. let it dry/harden then remove the barreled action and trim it up a tad/level with the top of the channel.. done.

Last edited by Chaser; 01-13-2021 at 09:53 PM.
Old 01-13-2021, 08:04 PM
KB22RF

TPC Rating: 
100% (18)
For what it is worth, I have 4 10/22's in Hogue stocks and the barrel is centered on them all.
Old 01-13-2021, 08:31 PM
jam_ppp

TPC Rating: 
100% (6)
Check for the cant first as described above. I have 2 10/22ís and 1 had the cant issue. Sent it Randy at CPC and he squared the receiver.
Old 01-13-2021, 10:22 PM
mugup52

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
What jam said. The Hogue stock is true. My 10-22 receivers have pointed both right and left. One receiver pointed so far left that even with full scope deflection cranked in I could not hit the paper at 50 yds.

I provided full disclosure and donated that receiver.

Good luck.
Old 01-13-2021, 10:27 PM
Chaser
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! UotM

TPC Rating: 
100% (75)
Send a message via AIM to Chaser
I have mounted approx. 10 Hogues up for friends and family as well as 3 for me... Selection of Receivers where mostly ALL mid-70's thru 90's .. no/none newer... of that BUNCH 5 have touched either left or right... it happens! Hogues will change/warp with heat and or cold.. not stable! Let's call them for what they are .. Utilitarian.
Old 01-13-2021, 10:44 PM
2245Lite

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
My new Kidd barrel was crooked in a Hogue stock too but it was the ruger reciever not the stock.

https://www.rimfirecentral.com/forum....php?t=1210267
Old 01-13-2021, 11:33 PM
Ben Gallaher

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
My gun has the cant! Honestly, I never conceived of that being a problem. I used my carpenter square and found a relatively flat section of counter top. Then using only the barreled receiver (no stock, trigger assembly, and bolt). First, I clamped the barreled receiver down on my right and had the muzzle on my left. I used calipers to mark the distance from the top of the barrel to the counter top. Once the caliper was set, I turned the barreled action over (port to starboard) to compare. Then, I repeated this but with the receiver on my left and muzzle on the right. It would appear that the barrel is pointed somewhat to the right, rather than the stock being warped to the left. Dang! I will fiddle with the adjustment of the barrel and the v-block and what not this weekend... And accuracy test... You guys are great. Thanks!
(Not sure why one of the photos is tiny...)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0295.jpg (28.6 KB, 72 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0296.jpg (29.2 KB, 73 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0298.jpg (30.4 KB, 70 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0299.jpg (12.3 KB, 71 views)
Old 01-14-2021, 10:20 AM
dbr65
US Navy Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (261)
Welcome to the world of Ruger "precision". It seems barrel alignment and barrel "slop" in the loose Ruger receiver resulting in barrel droop are just too often part of the package. There have been frequent comments here that the early Ruger receivers were much better and I agree. I had a 1992 receiver for many years as it was nearly perfect, but it too has been displaced. All my receivers are now KIDDs. I don't think you can do any better. I have a KIDD receiver, with a KIDD drop-in trigger kit in a Ruger polymer trigger housing, KIDD bolt and charging assembly, and a Feddersen sporter contour barrel, all in a Hogue stock. (It's my offhand shooter fun rifle. ) The barrel is perfectly centered in the barrel channel. Treat yourself to a KIDD receiver; all your other current components will work fine with it.

Doug
Old 01-14-2021, 01:40 PM
Teachu2

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
Or just either open up the channel or add a pressure pad. I have a Ruger receiver with a ER Shaw bull barrel that suffers from a misaligned hole in the receiver. I just opened the barrel channel to clear the barrel and it shoots great.
Old 01-14-2021, 03:21 PM
dbr65
US Navy Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (261)
Depending on how bad they are, they can be good for shooting around corners.

Sorry, couldn't help it.

Doug
Old 01-14-2021, 06:25 PM
'ol shooter
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (135)
I have three of those stocks, two sporter and one bull and all do the same thing. You get around it in one of two ways.
One, pull the barrel against the stock as you tighten the action screw, when you let go it when tight it will center itself.
Two, use aluminum duct tape, not regular duct tape, to build up the sides and rear of the receiver so it will be a snug fit into the stock.
All of my actions rode high in the stocks so I removed material from the shelf the receiver sits on around the action screw until the barrels just touched the front of the barrel channel. They fit much better now.
It is a useful stock once you get them dialed in.