Kimber 22 Classic magazine problems - Page 2 - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 03-20-2011, 03:52 PM
SageRat22
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (11)

It sounds to me like you have a gun issue; something that's going on with the magazine catch and maybe letting the mags drop down just a smidge. I've never had any issues with the Brownell mags.
Old 03-20-2011, 06:43 PM
jlp4951

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
The magazine retention system is very simple mostly just a spring steel. it can be a little out of whack and make it harder to get the magazine to seat. Usually just a little off center.

The bottom of the bolt will make a mess of the bullets if the the bolt has sharp corners and if the magazine allows the cartridge to sit a little high. he corners can be smoothed easily.

Sometimes you will see a groove cut into the top bullet that is in the magazine when feedinging a round to the chamber. And try this too, raise and lower the bolt handle a few times without moving it back, this sometimes rolls the top round in the magazine around a chews it up.

I like the NY Kimbers a lot - but there is a reason that most 22lr bolt actions have a bolt that doesn't rotate.
Old 03-22-2011, 05:41 PM
Anson45
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thanks for the suggestions.
Anson
Old 03-22-2011, 07:12 PM
rmist
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TEDDY BEAR RAT View Post
I had a similar problem on a Classic Varmint. I don't think all those magazines will share the same fault, unless they all just happened to be from the very early production runs. As I recall, the magazine retention/release bars are very vague feeling, making one think the mag was seated all the way, with a vague click, when it was not. I remember having to give the magazine an extra push and hearing another vague click. This is what I did, and it fixed my problem, so you might give that a try.

FWIW, the magazine release/retention design is the biggest flaw in the otherwise great K22s, sometimes even leading to shaved lead upon feeding. It also seemed many NY Kimbers were mediocre in the accuracy department. Everybody turns out an occasional lemon, but when the lemon is a high-end rifle, the weeping and wailing is magnified commensurate to the high expectations.

My $.02

TBR
I am looking for a HS model...are you saying most of these are NOT accurate?
Self thinking out loud..but I "thought" these were reaslly good rifles.

Thanx ...Rmist
Old 03-22-2011, 08:29 PM
jlp4951

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
I think they are really good rifles and the they are very accurate but some have some rough edges on the bolt that cause problems (that be fixed) and some magazines have problems. I have only used factory magazines and they work. The magazine retainer is really simiple and can be dealt with. I had one magazine that didn't feed well shortly after they were introduced, but have about 5 that work fine now.

The action bedding - with a pillar and epoxy excellent.

The trigger is also excellent - not Anschutz good, but better than most every other.

The barrel is excellent and free floated. I haven't heard reports of bad 22lr barrels. (I don't want to think about my Kimber 22-250, when they first came out, that put all the bullets through he target sideways).

The feeding is the weakest point but will work very well - just might need some work.

The comb on the H-S model is very high, and only works well, as far as I can tell with a high mounted scope.
Old 03-23-2011, 07:26 PM
Anson45

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Accurate ?

Absolutely. I like my K-22. It is the best rifle I have ever owned. I shot Sporter Rifle for 17-18 years. We all tried each others guns and I tried several Anshutz. My K-22 is like breaking glass with no over travel that I can tell. I like the balance, the wood and the oil finish. It came with a test target card with a 50 yard group of 0.18 inches. The magazines on the other hand are their flaw. Fortunately for me I load one round at a time. I wanted a couple of magazines to use shooting a different game, and maybe in the woods.
Anson
Old 03-26-2011, 08:37 AM
Anson45

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
As far as the magazine problems goes I found the time and energy to work on mine last night. I now have more magazines, Kimber and aftermarket Brownells than I will ever need. (I hope.) You guys were right. I just tweaked the "ears" to match the one magazine that did work.
Thanks guys,
Anson
Old 01-13-2021, 06:42 PM
khacz

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
500 series of Remington rimfires will work in the K22

For those of lucky enough to be able to enjoy the beautiful K22 but challenged to find magazines, I can confirm that Remington 500 series magazines will work.

I picked up 6 round and 10 round magazines directly from the manufacturer -- in this case Wisners in Washington. (Really great service and product.)

With a little effort situating them, the magazines will fit snugly, feed perfectly and will not drop out.