Why Zephyr II not so popular - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 01-13-2021, 02:55 AM
djmm

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Why Zephyr II not so popular

I noticed that this rifle is nowhere as popular as say the Tikkas CZ etc and I wonder why.
Overall I don't think the Zephyr is less accurate than those and in terms of finish,I think it is superior.

Steyr is also established brand. If it is price thing, here in Australia it is actually priced very well. Is there anything different about the rifle that I am not aware of?

I will still get it anyway but just a curious thought .
Old 01-13-2021, 04:21 AM
Miss-the-mtns
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Price and lack of classic styling. I bought mine despite the radical style, but
many old-school shooters will never warm up to its appearance. One member
said if he bought one, hed hit the stock with a side-stroke sander. Im happy
with mine and it draws some attention on the range but it will never appeal
to everyone.
Old 01-13-2021, 05:39 AM
djmm

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
To my untrained eyes I don't see much difference in styling compared to say Anshutz CZ etc except like you said the stock but even then it's not that extreme. Price yes I can understand especially in US.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-13-2021, 06:40 AM
gmd1950
US Air Force Veteran Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (30)
Not widely distributed in my area, guess shop owners aren't willing to take a chance of them selling, I've never seen one in person.
Old 01-13-2021, 07:38 AM
BadaBing11

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I recently saw a pic of one on another forum . I thought it was a beautiful rifle. I think availability might be the challenge? I have never seen one in person .
Old 01-13-2021, 07:48 AM
GladesGuy

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmd1950 View Post
Not widely distributed in my area, guess shop owners aren't willing to take a chance of them selling, I've never seen one in person.
I think this is the main reason. My experience is that without a good distribution network, you need to worry about parts and repair if anything happens. Being an expensive rifle, I would not feel comfortable risking it. The other thing that I personally don't like is the finish on the metal. I would prefer high gloss bluing on a rifle like this.
Old 01-13-2021, 01:56 PM
Patriot_MD
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
There are several reasons, in my opinion.

First, it's higher priced than most CZ's and nearly x2 the Tikka T1x. That's going to be a deal-breaker for potential buyers looking to get the most value for their money.

Second, Steyr doesn't have the same track record of success with producing rimfire rifles that other manufacturers do. A lot of potential buyers are going to see the Zephyr II and think, well, I could buy either an Anschutz or a Sako for just slightly more. Remember, the Zephyr II has only been in production for about 3 years and Steyr really hasn't done a whole lot to promote it since its release.

Third, Steyr hasn't had the greatest luck with marketing and distributing their products in the USA and they still don't, although, you can find them if you look hard enough. Zanders and Euro Optic both are stocking dealers. I'm sure there are others.

Fourth, it's a unique design. Some people will be turned-off by the butter knife bolt handle and spiral hammer marks on the barrel. Me? I think they're cool. I think the Zephyr II is the most beautiful rifle I own but, alas, beauty is always in the eye of the beholder.
Old 01-13-2021, 02:59 PM
James Cottrell
US Air Force Disabled American Veteran Fire Fighter NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Send a message via AIM to James Cottrell
Last month at my club a guy was shooting one. I got a good look at it. Nice wood and finish. The target he shot was equally impressive.
Old 01-13-2021, 04:33 PM

TPC Rating: 
100% (20)
Our local Cabelas has a couple displayed in the Gun Library section. They look nice but there's other choices I'd make for that kind of money

Old 01-13-2021, 08:44 PM
djmm

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Yeah price wise here in Australia is a bit different compared to US, for example:

** All in AUD:

- Sako Finnfire II: $1,800 ($1,395 USD)
- Tikka T1X: $980 ($759 USD)
- CZ 457 American or Lux: approx. $1,080 ($836 USD)
- Anschutz 1710 Heavy barrel: $3,189 ($2,470 USD)
- Steyr Zephyr II: $1,350 ($1,045 USD)
- Ruger 10/22: $945 ($732 USD)
- Lithgow LA101: $1,300 ($1,007 USD)

I like a classic wooden look and pattern quality of the wood is important for me, so based on the pricing above, I think it makes it easy for me to choose the Steyr.

For parts, I would think the rifle doesn't have any particular hard to get parts?

Last edited by djmm; 01-13-2021 at 09:06 PM.
Old 01-13-2021, 09:39 PM
nfcracin

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmd1950 View Post
I can't believe I have a 22 Gerald doesn't have let alone has never seen.

I feel kind of blessed now.

I do like mine just need to get it out more.
Old 01-14-2021, 07:12 AM
bandit1250
US Navy Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
I looked at the Zephyr II while looking for something maybe I would buy instead of another CZ.
As soon as the dealer handed it to me I could tell it just didn't feel right in my hands like my Grand Finale rifles. I am a classic style rifle guy and the Zephyr is way out there in style for me. The fish scale checkering is awful looking on a gun to me and that skinny feeling stock did nothing to feel right in my hands. They probably have good accuracy but at the shop they were a $100 more than the Grand Finale and I know how well I like all my GF rifles so I am glad I spent my money on the CZ's. The
Zephyr does use a CZ mag so it probably will feed well and CZ mags are probably cheaper than a mag from Steyr.
Old 01-14-2021, 07:27 AM
gmd1950
US Air Force Veteran Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (30)
Quote:
Originally Posted by nfcracin View Post
I can't believe I have a 22 Gerald doesn't have let alone has never seen.

I feel kind of blessed now.

I do like mine just need to get it out more.
There are a few out there I don't have, lol.
Old 01-14-2021, 08:05 AM
djmm

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bandit1250 View Post
I looked at the Zephyr II while looking for something maybe I would buy instead of another CZ.
As soon as the dealer handed it to me I could tell it just didn't feel right in my hands like my Grand Finale rifles. I am a classic style rifle guy and the Zephyr is way out there in style for me. The fish scale checkering is awful looking on a gun to me and that skinny feeling stock did nothing to feel right in my hands. They probably have good accuracy but at the shop they were a $100 more than the Grand Finale and I know how well I like all my GF rifles so I am glad I spent my money on the CZ's. The
Zephyr does use a CZ mag so it probably will feed well and CZ mags are probably cheaper than a mag from Steyr.
If you meant the grand finale 452, here in Australia, it sells for around AUD $650 more than the Zephyr II.
Old 01-14-2021, 11:08 AM
mag318
US Air Force Veteran Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I personally like the look of the Steyr including the butterknife bolt handle. That said for the same money I found a true classic with build quality second to none. A 1930s vintage Mauser ES340b. Yes I know it's a single shot rifle and not a lightweight sporter. For one of those I bought a Mauser Mm410b. My point being for around $1000 I'd rather have a true classic and I'd put these old Mausers up against anything made today.
IMO the reason these Steyrs aren't more popular are number one the price, for that kind of money I'd rather have a classic.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 588E00D8-BF34-461A-8832-342BE58DB8C2.jpg (424.8 KB, 5 views)

Last edited by mag318; 01-14-2021 at 01:13 PM.