Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 01-11-2021, 05:32 PM
pop
US Navy Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Think of trading my Small Game Rifle

Well the title says it all. Thinking of trading it in on a Henry pump action 22lr. What do you think?
Old 01-11-2021, 07:46 PM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Have you shot a Henry pump yet?
Old 01-11-2021, 07:47 PM
Cowpokey
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I have a Small Game Carbine in .22lr. I wouldn't trade it...I'd buy the pump to add to the vault.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-11-2021, 07:51 PM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowpokey View Post
I have a Small Game Carbine in .22lr. I wouldn't trade it...I'd buy the pump to add to the vault.
Thats what I was thinking. Unless you just love the pump, and don't care for the lever gun.
If you trade off that sgr and dont care for the pump after all it would be a shame.
Old 01-11-2021, 08:18 PM
pop
US Navy Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
I was thinking it would be eaiser on my arthrits. I have shot the Rossi and a Winchester 62.
Old 01-11-2021, 09:26 PM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Arthritis is no joke.
Best thing to do is try it out in the store or range, and see what your body tells you.
The Henry pump is not as smooth as their lever guns. Probably not as slick as the others you've tried out. They improve over time though.
Ive had arthritis myself showing up in the last three or four years. I am 44 and expect a long road ahead with this. Its life changing stuff.
Old 01-12-2021, 06:07 AM
1275midget
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowpokey View Post
x2
Old 01-13-2021, 12:00 AM
DroopyBassets75
US Army Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (24)
For a pump, IMO, you would be much better suited with a Savage 29 or something similar over a Henry. Yes, the Henry would be new, but they are quite stiff due to being a reworked lever action modified for a pump arm. You can get a really nice purpose built Savage 29 for less $$ than the Henry that will require you to use less effort to work the action with your arthritis. Heck, if you take your time you can even score and get a Remington 121 for less and have one home run of a rifle. Just have to keep your eyes peeled and ear low to the ground.
Old 01-13-2021, 08:26 AM
trumph
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I second the Remington 121. Or even the Remington model 12.
Old 01-13-2021, 08:41 AM

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
Good suggestions.

There are some deals on old pump action rifles since everyone seems to want Tupperware firearms right now.
Old 01-13-2021, 08:41 AM
David Valdina
US Marines Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

Barefoot Bay, Florida and Cape Cod, Massachusetts
TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Arthritis and shooting a rifle.

Just some misc. thoughts on the subject. I have my share of aches and pains too. If your shooting does not require two or more quick shots in a row, then the type of action doesn't matter too much. Reason being you can take the rifle off of your shoulder to a position that minimizes pain when you chamber a new round. But if you do want to shoot quickly with the rifle on your shoulder, the best bet would be a semi-auto action. I have an old Ruger and a Browning SA and like them both. The Ruger can be had for less money and there are more accessories and modifications available. And I would not buy new but would look for an honest old one. The Browning SA is probably the best semi-auto ever made, however it ejects brass straight down which can bother some. It is very muzzle light which isn't the best for offhand shooting accuracy. If I had to choose just one, it would be the Browning, based on emotion, not logic. ps, I also have a Browning in .22 short only.
Old 01-13-2021, 02:18 PM
Bird-Dog

TPC Rating: 
100% (15)
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Valdina View Post
Just some misc. thoughts on the subject. I have my share of aches and pains too. If your shooting does not require two or more quick shots in a row, then the type of action doesn't matter too much. Reason being you can take the rifle off of your shoulder to a position that minimizes pain when you chamber a new round. But if you do want to shoot quickly with the rifle on your shoulder, the best bet would be a semi-auto action. I have an old Ruger and a Browning SA and like them both. The Ruger can be had for less money and there are more accessories and modifications available. And I would not buy new but would look for an honest old one. The Browning SA is probably the best semi-auto ever made, however it ejects brass straight down which can bother some. It is very muzzle light which isn't the best for offhand shooting accuracy. If I had to choose just one, it would be the Browning, based on emotion, not logic. ps, I also have a Browning in .22 short only.
Semi does seem a logical solution. The problem with the Ruger (presumably 10/22) is that loading mags is also likely going to be a painful challenge with arthritis.

Marlin Model 60 would be a practical alternative with its tube magazine... if you can find one at a reasonable price in this crazy market.
Old 01-13-2021, 02:28 PM
David Valdina
US Marines Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

Barefoot Bay, Florida and Cape Cod, Massachusetts
TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Loading tube magazines.

If you want a semi-auto with a tube magazine, there are plenty to choose from. The Browning SA has a magazine tube but you drop cartridges in through the place made for it in the stock. Then the tube gets pushed up and secured with a quarter turn. The tube under the barrel of many rifles pulls out, the cartridges drop in and the tube goes back in and secures in one way or another. I think you would be happy with any of these fun rifles. Here is a link to 4 pages of listings for Remington semi-auto .22 rifles on Gunbroker.com and the Nylon 66 might be what you want, if you like a light rifle. The full size Remingtons have been around a long time and seem to work very well.

https://www.gunbroker.com/Semi-Auto-...Name=Remington
Old 01-14-2021, 06:32 PM
briggleman

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Wow....the Henry Small Game Rifle is one of my favorite acquisitions. If you need a pump that is easy on the muscles...get a Remington pump used. I believe it would be a 572 model, not sure. Its pump action glides so easy, like butter. The Henry is a little more heavy handed for sure. I do not like it. The Small Game Rifle I love. Easy to shoot, easy on the eyes with the Skinner Sight.
Old 01-14-2021, 07:18 PM
pop
US Navy Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
A lot to think about that is for sure. A lot of good advice.