Are Walther OSP's Picky About Ammo? - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 01-11-2021, 10:27 PM
jrobb45
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Are Walther OSP's Picky About Ammo?

I've been thinking about buying one, but I've read they can be ammo sensitive. Also what would be a fair price for one that's NIB?

best
jr
Old 01-12-2021, 03:07 PM
mstuhr
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
I don't know

I don't know if it carries over. I have had a couple of GSP pistols over the years and both ran well.
Not long ago I saw OSP and GSPs listed and a conversion or two at Simpson's Ltd. You could go there and search.

https://simpsonltd.com/

Some of them I thought were fair deals.
Good luck
Old 01-12-2021, 03:43 PM
jrobb45

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thank you. Which ones do you think are fair deals?

best
jr
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-12-2021, 03:59 PM
mstuhr

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
I don't know

Hi JR, It would depend what you want.
I am a pretty utilitarian guy. My bullseye equipment was always the best I could afford as cheaply as I could get by. Me? I check out the ones in the 500.00 range
If I was wanting more finish, box, papers etc I'd look a little higher
I'd think OSPs under 600.00 are hard to find and the nicer ones in the 6-700 range are at least fair. Another thing. If you plan to get grips that fit you, one of the ones with bad/modified grips might save you a few bucks over one with nice grips you intend to remove.
Good luck to you.
I have used Simpsons before. I have never had a problem with them but I can't say I know how they will treat you in the event of one. They have been around for a long time and I have never heard anything bad about them.
Best of luck to you.
Old 01-12-2021, 04:08 PM
jrobb45

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thank you for the advice.

best
jr
Old 01-12-2021, 04:26 PM
mstuhr

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
You are welcome JR. Everything I know about most things is dated info. I hope it still helps
Old 01-15-2021, 07:18 AM
Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (24)
The OSPs are more easily available and usually cheaper than a GSP is. The reason behind it is that most of the used OSP/GSP sold in the U.S. are imported from Germany and the OSP is no longer legal in national matches and only in the state of Hamburg is there still a discipline for them in the DSB rules.

With the price of .22 short being higher than .22 l.r. this is another reason to opt for the GSP. Both, the OSP and GSP run very well with quality ammo. I never had a problem with a GSP or OSP that wasn't ammo related or caused by the trigger unit not being locked right.

Walther eliminated the slide lock at some time because it had led to problems in high round guns, so that needs to be checked before buying. Earlier models, pre 1976 and with a serial below 67001 usually have a safety and a smaller mag well, i.e. they cannot accept the .32 S&W Long conversion and magazine.

Last edited by Andyd; 01-15-2021 at 07:26 AM.