Boyds Stock possible issues - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 01-10-2021, 12:49 AM
hdon

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Boyds Stock possible issues

Asking for advice. I purchased a Pro Varmint Boyd's stock for my Remington 783 just before Christmas. I just got around to swapping out the plastic stock. Im seeing some issues, not sure if this is to be expected or if I got a lemon.

The Boyds I purchased, I paid extra for the pillars. In hindsight, this wasn't a good idea. This seems like it needs to be done with the action attached. When putting the stock on I started with the front screw, the rear screw didnt want to start without forcing, and upon inspection with a flashlight I could see one of the pillars they installed was off center enough that the screw was catching. I didnt want to force it and end up cross threading so I took it all apart once again and started with the back screw this time. In order to get it to seat properly I had to start by pulling the action out of the stock slightly to allow the rear screw to line up properly, then tightening it pulling the action into the stock but I am now seeing clearance issues where the barrel nut is hitting on both sides.

I also am seeing where there are (2) sling studs (one for a bipod). The forward-most stud is off center. Its plainly obvious since this is a laminated stock and you can see the studs are in different colors of wood.

Another issue I'm seeing is the magazine has to be forced into place and the magazine latch has to be forced forward to latch. It takes a good bit of force to get the mag in and out. Ive not yet tried to cycle ammo.

Overall the finish is ok, a couple little pimples here and there (could be touched up). Its not a high dollar rifle, and will not be a showpiece. I supposed I can do some sanding to try to get the wood off the barrel, and possibly clear out a bit so the mag fits better (Im concerned about taking too much off though and making it too loose), I could remove and reset the stud.

Am I too picky / expecting too much? I feel like I paid a premium with adding a recoil pad and pillars, but what I have feels more like a factory 2nd that I now have to find a way to make it work. I'm also wondering what additional costs to expect if I have to take this to be completed by a gunsmith.

Wondering what your thoughts are, how you would deal with this.
Old 01-10-2021, 08:06 AM
schutzen-jager
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (23)
fwiw

personally seen issues with 3 out of 3 boyds stocks - quality of inletting + fit -
Old 01-10-2021, 09:56 AM
BadaBing11

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I donít think itís being too fussy to expect to get what you paid for . Call the supplier and get a refund or exchange
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-10-2021, 11:25 AM
Arrowhead

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by schutzen-jager View Post
personally seen issues with 3 out of 3 boyds stocks - quality of inletting + fit -
I have had exactly the same experience. They are a fairly reasonably priced stock to eliminate a lot of the work associated with building a stock but not great as a drop in and shoot it option in my experience. After the first I bought the next two expecting to have to do some work to get what I wanted. In all cases I was satisfied with what I turned them into but I wouldn't want one to have to use as it arrives. If I were in your shoes I would contact Boyd's and see what if any solution they will offer.
Old 01-10-2021, 11:36 AM
schutzen-jager

TPC Rating: 
100% (23)
my experience goes back a few years - at the time they were higher priced then most competitors so i expected better quality - talking to customer service complete exercise in futility -
Old 01-10-2021, 11:54 AM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Mine currently is in a Boyd's stock. I think next time around I'll spring for a little more and go with a Bell & Carlson.
Old 01-11-2021, 09:46 PM
hdon

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Went to their website, emailed customer service. Sor far, no reply.