What to look for in a used 10/22? - Page 2 - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 12-21-2020, 08:56 AM
crackedcornish
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)

guys, he's just looking for a 25yd plinker...

so make sure it looks like the PO took reasonably good care of it, and it's not a rusty pos with stripped out scope base holes, and you'll be fine for a starter rifle
Old 12-24-2020, 03:36 PM
tinman

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
For your first one.....look for a Pre-Prefix model. See what the original 10/22 was like! And of course...condition is everything. It is only money, and they don't make them like that anymore.
Old 01-11-2021, 09:55 AM
Tom_in_MO
US Army Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by havefun View Post
Somehow, I've never owned a 10/22 and am going to look for a good used one locally. Besides all of the normal used rifle criteria, are there any years, materials or whatever to either prefer or avoid? Reliability and reasonable short-range (25 yards) plinking accuracy are most important. Thanks.
Let's get back to the OP's original request.

These days, the idea that you can pick and choose which used 10/22 to buy with which wonderful features is fantasy. I have literally never seen a used 10/22 at my favorite LGS, which does a brisk business in trade-ins, including 22 rifles. Been going there for years.

You might find one on Gunbroker you like, but it ain't gonna be cheap. To buy locally, you might have better luck at a pawn shop.

Why not just buy a new non-fancy one? They are available.

Last edited by Tom_in_MO; 01-11-2021 at 10:00 AM.
Old 01-11-2021, 10:04 AM
eflyguy

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom_in_MO View Post
These days, the idea that you can pick and choose which used 10/22 to buy with which wonderful features is fantasy. I have literally never seen a used 10/22 at my favorite LGS, which does a brisk business in trade-ins, including 22 rifles. Been going there for years.
Guess it depends where you live.

When I bought my first in August, I had a choice of two at the first store I went to. There was one at another store (I had called around first) but I ended up getting one from the first place I went to. Serial number says it was early 2020, so it was only a few months from the factory. It had been sitting there a while, the guys at the counter said. I wasn't looking specifically for a 10/22 - I didn't know I should.

When I bought our second in November, the place I got it from had several new ones in stock, and one used (possibly the same one I hadn't bought in August.)

Edited to add - I paid $225 for the near-new used one (SS carbine) and $275 for the NIB one.

Last edited by eflyguy; 01-11-2021 at 10:11 AM. Reason: Added prices
Old 01-11-2021, 05:04 PM
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
Several years ago I paid $300 OTD for a like new four digit 10/22. I thought I got a great deal. Some folks thought I got the shaft.

Iíve never been disappointed with that old 10/22. Iíve never shot it because it will probably shoot like all the others I have. Those old 10/22s are worth more in my opinion.

For a great shooter you are probably best off building your own.

For a decent factory shooter, I would try to find the oldest one I could find with an anodized receiver. Everything else can be changed.