Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 12-28-2020, 01:59 PM
comfisherman
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (6)
Send a message via AIM to comfisherman

It extends to far rearward, had to up size my rings to clear the occular and power adjustment ring. I'll give it some time to see how it does before doing some cutting. Would likely have a friend with a mill take the rail off above any of the critical bits, my guess is the rail isn't there for structural purposes. Have it drilled and tapped for a tikka style ring, as the tikka would be an easy profile to mill as it has a lot of flat. then could use Hawkins rings for a clean svelte mount.

Other options is to do the rail similar to the defiance actions, cut all but the necessary rail, although it helps if the rail is designed for that from the get go with longer flats. The rebel sheep hunter from defiance does a good job with this. That would probably be the easiest option.
Old 01-04-2021, 03:38 AM
comfisherman

TPC Rating: 
100% (6)
Figured I'd update this one, as a few are still floating around the web and someone might be looking for some thoughts on it.

Just hit 250 rounds total, its been single digits every day I've had off and with only one magazine until the others arrive its hard to run a lot of ammo through something. One box 20 grain Winchester, two of the 20 American eagle, and two of the 25 Winchester.

Random thoughts in no particular order

Left the magazines loaded for a few days and it solved the issues. It now runs flawless, can really make a magazine empty quick.

Did a lot of 8 shot dots, would get 4 in a cloverleaf then two flier and then the remaining two right back on the cloverleaf. Can see how this drives the bench only guys nuts. Did a single shot per dot and it does cluster them close enough around the point of aim it won't be a problem at all for me. For my uses its just fine, but can see how its maddening for the the benchrest guys. Just when it looks like a single ragged hole it will send a wild one.

Still not wild about the rail and scope fitment, but considering the weight I'll likely outfit it with a 3-18 or 4-24 or some such long scope and it will be a moot point.

Weight isn't bad for a solo carry gun, its a little more than I'd like for dual gun scenarios. If the darn bears go to sleep again and I can carry it on its own, it will be just fine.

Magazines are a bit painful to buy, would have been nice if ruger had got the 17 wsm out first and vq could have borrowed that tech. With that said, 8 rounds is better than 6 especially with an autoloader. Guess its a bit of a wash.

Big question is, is it worth it..... Boy that's a tough one. At the blowout vq prices, hands down absolutely. At the insane gunbroker numbers.... nah at antyhing above sticker price get a rimx and the best stock and trigger and still be money ahead. That way if it all goes south you have bolt swap options.

Personally if ruger does another batch of the 7218 or 7219 model number rifles, I'll buy one of those as well, make a glass stock and flute the barrel and have a bit lighter gun, but won't be selling the vq to make room. Wish I hadn't flipped the ruger in April, it was the best balance between the uber premium and bmag.

All in, I'm happy with the purchase and the rifle. Really needed something to bridge the gap between 17 hmr and 270 wsm and this will do for now.
Old 01-04-2021, 07:40 AM
Al the Infidel
US Marines Disabled American Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by comfisherman View Post
All in, I'm happy with the purchase and the rifle. Really needed something to bridge the gap between 17 hmr and 270 wsm and this will do for now.
A man with vision. You should run for guv'nor. Good assessment report.
Old 01-08-2021, 10:01 AM
wonderdog1
US Navy Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (5)
I see they found another one and put it on their clearance page.

Wonderdog1

GONE, that didn’t take very long!

Last edited by wonderdog1; 01-08-2021 at 11:40 AM.
Old 01-08-2021, 11:40 AM
outdoorsdad

TPC Rating: 
100% (12)
Thanks for the heads up, I just bought it. Exactly what I wanted, carbon barrel and McMillan stock.
Old 01-08-2021, 01:21 PM
comfisherman

TPC Rating: 
100% (6)
That clearance page has to have increased sales of the 17 wsm 400 fold....
Old 01-08-2021, 06:12 PM
comfisherman

TPC Rating: 
100% (6)
Rounding the corner to 500 rounds today. Started to have a sticky chamber so bailed and shot other guns.

A few observations are starting to form.

The 20 grain Winchester seems to group best. It was warm enough today to shoot for groups. Didn't measure any but did shoot 5x5 on one target and 5x5 of american eagle on another half the target. Showed them to my buddy in a double blind type deal, the 20 look perceptibly better but were arguing over 1.25 vz 1.375 or nearabouts.

Dang thing is filthy, I'll try and post some pics but its filthy dirty in less than a box and by 75 rounds it will have extraction hangups. Not really an issue in these ammo shortage days, but will definitely slow my roll on stage rats.

Its growing on me, but its been a slower adoption than some guns have been.
Old 01-09-2021, 09:54 AM
wonderdog1
US Navy Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (5)
Quote:
Originally Posted by outdoorsdad View Post
Thanks for the heads up, I just bought it. Exactly what I wanted, carbon barrel and McMillan stock.
NP, glad l could help spend your money I was hoping someone here would get it. If l where to buy a second one (which I had considered) that would have been the model l would have chosen.

Best of Luck
Wonderdog1
Old 01-09-2021, 10:07 AM
wonderdog1
US Navy Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (5)
comfisherman, you probably already know and do something like this, but just thought I would mention it. I use a 270 cal. brush to clean the chamber when it becomes dirty, followed by a bore snake for the barrel when in the field. They do seem to be a lot dirtier than the hmrs.

Wonderdog1
Old 01-09-2021, 01:37 PM
comfisherman

TPC Rating: 
100% (6)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wonderdog1 View Post
comfisherman, you probably already know and do something like this, but just thought I would mention it. I use a 270 cal. brush to clean the chamber when it becomes dirty, followed by a bore snake for the barrel when in the field. They do seem to be a lot dirtier than the hmrs.

Wonderdog1
Yeah I just am a minimalist with my range bag and usually only take a sessions worth of stuff with me. Just a. It surprised how fast it soots up, quicker than 17 hm2 which is pretty dirty but can still finish 2x boxes.